Levocarnitine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else take Levocarnitine in a tablet form. My neuro prescribed it to me for the double vision I was getting, I believe caused by Keppra. All the pharmacies are backordered on it I'm having trouble, and might not to be able to get it. It also costs a fortune, even when I use GoodRX. The pharmacists were calling it a 'supplement' and not a 'medicine'. When I was looking it up on the internet it looks like something that I might actually be able to get over the counter.
I haven't had a chance to ask my neuro about it yet, I will on Monday. I just wanted to know if anyone has any information about it.

If this is Levocarnitine for a carnitine deficiency, you might be able to find an over the counter supplement for cheaper, but the good quality stuff is more pricey. Although, Amazon has quite a few readily available so you wouldn't have to wait for the pharmacy as well. Sometimes pharmacy supplements are way expensive and sometimes overpriced, but this depends on the supplement, quality, and many more factors, of course. I buy my own supplements, I don't trust ones from the pharmacy because they're often expensive and highly synthethic.

Pure Encapsulations on Amazon.com right now $78.70 for 120 capsules - 680mg per serving (I use Pure Encapsulations when I can because they're generally hypoallergenic, non-gmo, gluten-free and I trust this brand 100%). The serving size is 2/day so this would essentially be a 2 month supply if you're supposed to take it every day at roughly 65 cents per pill.

That one can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsu...nitine+pure+encapsulation,aps,200&sr=8-5&th=1

It seems there are others at Amazon.com that are a lot cheaper, but I would not be able to attest to the quality.

For example, there is a NOW Supplement that's $26.48 for 100 Tablets - 1g (1,000mg) per pill 1x/day here:

https://www.amazon.com/NOW®-L-Carni...533&sprefix=l-carnitine+organi,aps,200&sr=8-5

Generally if you are deficient, though, even a synthetic might help you some at times, but I generally try to find as natural as possible.

I know l-carnitine has been studied for people with age-related eye disorders, but I hadn't heard about it being prescribed for double vision. Has it helped? (Oddly enough, too high a dose of l-carnitine can cause seizures -- I assume this hasn't been a factor for you).

I know l-carnitine has been studied for people with age-related eye disorders, but I hadn't heard about it being prescribed for double vision. Has it helped? (Oddly enough, too high a dose of l-carnitine can cause seizures -- I assume this hasn't been a factor for you).

I've done a lot of reading up about it since I'm not being able to get it and I've seen the same things. I sent my neuro an email so hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. I've got a little over two weeks of the med left.

It has helped. Before I started taking it my double vision was so bad that I couldn't walk a strait line and I'd even gone to the ER because I got so sick from being dizzy.

I went to the pharmacy to ask them about the liquid form of Levocarnitine and if they could get it. She came back after looking it up so she to see what the mg were so that I could tell my neuro. She also told me that l-carnitine OTC is exactly the same thing. It only costs about $16 for a month supply as apposed to over $200 a month I was paying!

I'd asked my neuro if it was ok to take it and what the dosage would be because the mg would be a different, only a little bit. He said it was and how to take it. It wasn't something that the pharmacy kept on stock but they had it in two days. I started taking it yesterday so hopefully it works.

Why on earth didn't he prescribe it to me OTC from the start? I'd been taking Levocarnitine for over three years. I could have gone on a wonderful overseas vacation with all the money I'd spent on it!!!!

I went to the pharmacy to ask them about the liquid form of Levocarnitine and if they could get it. She came back after looking it up so she to see what the mg were so that I could tell my neuro. She also told me that l-carnitine OTC is exactly the same thing. It only costs about $16 for a month supply as apposed to over $200 a month I was paying!

I'd asked my neuro if it was ok to take it and what the dosage would be because the mg would be a different, only a little bit. He said it was and how to take it. It wasn't something that the pharmacy kept on stock but they had it in two days. I started taking it yesterday so hopefully it works.

Why on earth didn't he prescribe it to me OTC from the start? I'd been taking Levocarnitine for over three years. I could have gone on a wonderful overseas vacation with all the money I'd spent on it!!!!

Some doctors/pharmacies like to give patients the more expensive options. Some doctors actually receive money from pharmaceutical companies in some way, shape, or form.

If you're in the USA, you can search your provider on https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/ and it will tell you if they've received any type of money (sometimes it's in the form of food, travel expenses, etc.) and it will tell you for what pharmaceutical company. Some doctors it's one thing here and there or nothing. Then other times, I've seen providers that have HUGE list and that can be worrisome depending...

But I used to work in health insurance customer support. You'd be SURPRISED how many people, especially our disabled and elderly are being ripped off. I'd get the call every day I worked: "I can't afford my medication. Please help!"

You know how many ways there was to lower the medication costs for these people? Usually 2-5 different avenues and some they didn't know about. Pharmacy discount cards and state medicaid assistance were the more obvious. Many of these people already had state medicaid, but sometimes the medication wasn't covered. There was sometimes a generic if the person was able to take it that was usually much cheaper and sometimes there were other brands that were more cost effective, even brand names. Sometimes we would have to say, "Ask your doctor about buying this over the counter because it might be more cost effective for you." and a lot of times for supplements, it was.

The thing that made me upset was when people would call in with a combination type medication. Usually a liquid form or a cream/ointment where two medications are compounded into one tube, syringe, etc. - some of these people were paying over $100 for compounded medications bi-weekly or monthly! I remember a customer was upset they couldn't afford this. I looked up both medications separately and it was like $5 each medication for a month supply if they were in two separate tubes and the dosage was the same they were already taking. When I told them that they were furious at their doctor and were adamant that they were going to demand two separate medications, same form, same dosages, two separate tubes.

There are many doctors, pharmacies, and insurance companies that are only in it for the money.

Back
Top Bottom