Life's curves

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elsie

Stalwart
Reaction score
My DH had surgery 3 1/2 months ago. After recuperating and weeks and weeks of physical therupy with therupist and doing it at home, he thought he was making progress. For a little while I had to take on all the duties like grass cutting, carrying all the grocery bags, etc., plus the personal care. I do not mind doing all this, even though it is very challenging to keep everything going.

He had further tests and he is back to sq. 1. Dr. said he could try the surgery one more time, does not give very good odds, and this time no phy. therupy and strict adherance to not moving the affected limb. Which means more weeks of helping, doing some heavy work, etc., doing all the driving for a while (6 weeks at least). All while trying to run our business.

I am just discouraged right now. And fearful. While I do acknowledge that I am blessed to have my E under control, my medicine makes it hard to keep going at this level. I get sleepy so much. Well, thank you for letting me vent. Somehow we will get through this all.

Elsie - isn't life a hoot sometimes?
We need to find the gems and enjoy each and every one of them.

We are in the thick of it now. DH had his surgery Thurs. and I am now the nursemaid. Bandages etc. are uncomfortable, and the anesthesia leaving left him sick, presc. med. makes him woozy. Surgery went as well as could be expected and we're just praying it "takes" this time.

Thinking how lucky I am to be doing this well. Wed night I had 3 hrs sleep, last night I had less, waking every time he moved to make sure he wasn't laying on his shoulder. Hospital foods were horrible and I just had a few bites both days there, and the lights were all fluorescents throughout the place. All triggers you guys mention, plus stress galore worrying...but I'm getting through it.

As long as I stay ok and he stays compliant we'll do ok. Dr. is wonderful. I wish my neurologist was this nice.

Don't have any family nearby. So I thank you for listening to me vent.

You are being a great caretaker! I hope you can find a few moments to take care of your self too. Maybe squeeze in a nap here and there -- even a few minutes can make a big difference to your brain.

Elsie,

You are amazing! I can't believe you are juggling all those balls, and your E, too. I agree with Nakamova, try to find some time to take care of yourself. Nap, eat on time, take your meds on time. If your health slips you can't take care of others. So like they say on the airplane - "put the mask over your own face first before helping a loved one!"

Thank you guys. Today I had 4 hours of mowing and trimming and sweeping. It was about 94°. Got through all that somehow. My arms are sore and my back hurts. We bought a lighter trimmer for me but it's still hard. Took some otc pain meds when I came home and had a nap. I never feel like I get enough sleep. We moved 3 years ago and older house is still there, unable to sell it right now. So 2 properties to maintain.

Eeegads listen to me complain. At least he is keeping his sling on this time. Last time he took it off too soon and went back to work. He had shoulder surgery for a tear. I was upset he went back to work so soon, but I was worn out and let him take over all the chores. This time I can't do that as dr. says this is his last chance.

Countin' the days.

Well tomorrow we are four weeks post surgery. I am getting used to all the extra work. We have new routines. Showers take about 40 minutes, down from 60 at first. Yesterday I went out on a job with him and did the things he couldn't, and it was 95° + in the afternoon. It's not legal to drive with one arm incapacitated (in our state at least) so I'm doing all that, thank goodness I'm allowed to drive. Today I was so tired from yesterday I couldn't get out of bed until noon. And after all this, we don't know if this surgery will "take" any better than the first one. We're fighting insurance company for coverage for therupy. Every day we just get through that day and worry about the next one then. I'm thankful I'm able to continue on with all this. Who knows what would become of us if I couldn't.

Wow! That's been a tremendous challenge both physically and mentally. On the one hand, lifting all that stuff gave you some physical strength. Some people pay a trainer to get that kind of workout.
Hopefully that 95 degree heat does not take a hard toll on you. Stay hydrated, if possible.
The lack of sleep goes with the territory. I've also had those sleepless nights. They will take a toll...Be careful and take care of yourself, too.

Back
Top Bottom