Living will

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
This is kind of epilepsy related but not really. Idk.

So who is procrastinating on their living will? Just me?

I have nothing. Nothing of value etc etc that would require will yadda. Plus that no family other than mother father bro and sis and their families and no spouse etc, so nothing at all like that type of complication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I've been putting it off also. It's something I really need to rectify though.
I have a Wadda test and possibly surgery in my near future.

Yes, I've been putting it off also. It's something I really need to rectify though.
I have a Wadda test and possibly surgery in my near future.

I had a Wada test too and apparently so f*ing weird. Have you ever had one before? It was like a total knockout for each side of the brain and tested for each side while knockout going on. I’ve had a yearning to actually see what those results are, and then how to see how the surgery could have actually f**ked up my mind. I’m full of dread that I need to have the stuff continuing.

No, I haven't this test before and I'm not looking forward to it.
I've had angiograms in the past and those weren't pleasant. From what I understand this test is similar.

This is kind of epilepsy related but not really. Idk.

So who is procrastinating on their living will? Just me?

Mee!

Dilemma about burial vs. cremation vs. other. Cremation seems best but for the huge amount of fossil fuel used. I'm mindful that the Egyptians preserved their remains expensively. What did they know that we don't? ... No decision yet, as if that fateful day would await my convenience.

What do you think, anyone?

I had a Wada test too and apparently so f*ing weird. Have you ever had one before? It was like a total knockout for each side of the brain and tested for each side while knockout going on. I’ve had a yearning to actually see what those results are, and then how to see how the surgery could have actually f**ked up my mind. I’m full of dread that I need to have the stuff continuing.

I have had the WADA test and it's a trip!! They literally put one side of the brain to sleep for about 2 minutes, while testing memory etc on the other side, and then they switch. FRUSTRATING for me when they put the left side "to sleep." They showed me different phrase cards, like "Jack and Jill went up the hill" and I had to repeat. Right side? No problem. Left side? I could comprehend, read, etc BUT I COULD NOT SAY IT OUT LOUD. I tried and tried....I remember clenching my fists, and actually laughing and sort of pounding the table. I KNEW what I had to say..but nothing would make it out. VERY weird.

If I remember the correctly you needed to lay down flat for the WADA.

The techs prepped you for the test by running a line up your femoral artery.
This is how they put each hemisphere of your brain to sleep.

To start the Neuropsychologist would ask your questions, read you stories, etc. The you were asked to repeat what you can remember. This acted as a baseline for your brain. They would then proceed to put one half of your brain to sleep. The Neuropsychologist when then ask you about the questions, and stories again. Afterwards they would wake up that side of your brain, then put the other side to sleep. The Neuropsychologist again would ask you about the questions, and stories again. While all of this is going on the Neurologist is monitoring it in the other room.

After all the testing is complete you need to lay on the table for seems like forever with your legs elevated. This is to allow the femoral artery opening to completely clot.

The Neuropsychologist & Neurologist go over the test results, then with you. Depending on results they & you will meet with a Neurosurgeon.

Yea the WADA was a trip it wasn't as bad as I imagined. The worst part was being sore in the groin for a few days

Yeah i should probably do one of those. I don't have much apart from my furniture, electricals and birds, so i think if i had a book for the purpose to write down that the furniture goes to who needs it, if they want a funeral then sell all electricals towards it, but i want to be left to medical science, so just leave me off at the nearest medicine university/hospital and go have a drink with the funeral money instead. Stuff i've inherited from both my granny's to go to specific family members, and if there's any arguments then the whole lot is to be burned in a bonfire. Apart from the birds of course, which i hope a good home will be found for.

I think my immediate family would respect whatever i write down.

I haven't done one of those either. Considering some of my hobbies I think that its really important for me. I collect stamps & coins, and I have a lot of pure gold jewelry. My sons know though, that all of it will be for them to share equally.

I had a living will done after my husband passed away in 2008. My sons know my wishes.
M

Back
Top Bottom