Low estrogen diet?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
I am sooo new to looking at food to help ease my seizures.
I see a naturopath who had me on a low inflammatory diet but since I am a vegetarian I found it very difficult to follow.
I try to stay away from dairy and keep to whole grains as much as possible.

However, my seizures really increase around ovulation and the week before my period.
Has anyone had any luck with a low estrogen diet?

Just wondering!

Since it's not just high estrogen but the combo with low progesterone that can be a factor in seizures, you might want to ask your doctor about trying a progesterone cream. (Studies have that it can help with catamenial epilepsy).

As a vegetarian you might have a tough time avoiding some of the foods high in estrogen. Not just animal flesh, but also:
Alfalfa
Anise seed
Apples
Baker's yeast
Barley
Beets
Carrots
Cherries
Chickpeas
Clover
Cucumbers
Dairy Foods
Dates
Eggs
Eggplant
Fennel
Flaxseeds
Garlic
Hops
Licorice
Oats
Olives/olive oil
Papaya
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Plums
Pomegranates
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Red beans
Rhubarb
Rice
Sage
Sesame seeds
Soybean sprouts
Soybeans
Sunflower seeds
Tomatoes
Wheat
Yams

You might want to add foods to your diet that inhibit estrogen:
Berries
Broccoli
Buckwheat
Cabbage
Citrus Foods
Corn
Figs
Fruits (except apples, cherries, dates, pomegranates)
Grapes
Green beans
Melons
Millet
Onions
Pears
Pineapples
Squashes
Tapioca
White rice
White flour

Wow! Thanks for the helpful lists! I love the idea of estrogen inhibiting foods because you are right....cutting out all of the other foods would be really tricky as a veggie girl.
You are quite the valuable resource.

Back
Top Bottom