Medical Dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone have a medical dog for your epilepsy? If so how do you like him/her? I saw an episode on Amazon Prime of a medical dog for someone with epilepsy. It was really neat but one thing the dog does during a seizure is lick her face. Was just wondering what your dog does? Or if you know someone who has one?

Hi Cordero,
I don't have a seizure alert dog but I have a friend who had one to help her out and the dog could always sense 10 min. to 1 hr. before I had
a seizure when I was with my friend. I later found out that the dog smells a chemical our body gives off that we can't smell and according to
how the dog is trained they will sometimes put their paw on your leg or lay down and stretch out by you to protect you if you fall. I found it
amazing how the dog worked. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I would love one, especially with living on my own, but its seriously difficult to get an epilepsy support dog here. I was out one day with a friend and her dog, and it kept sticking by my side. I was admittedly hungover and spacey as a result, but it pulled on my coat when i went to wander off. Made me wonder how much more independant i could be with a dog of my own.

I'd love a dog but I live in a unit (apartment) and can't have dogs. My parents always had dogs and they used to have a kelpie/ labrador who had the labrador nature. I used to go out to my parents place sometimes when their kelpie/lab was still young and my Mum says the dog sensed or told them when I had a seizure. All I know is if I had a seizure at my parents place their dog would never leave my side afterwards for the rest of the day.

Hi CQ,
Your laws may be different where you live but here in the U.S. a person is allowed to have a service dog while they are living in an apartment
you may want to check that out for yourself because it's not like a regular pet the dog is also protecting you. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi CQ,
Your laws may be different where you live but here in the U.S. a person is allowed to have a service dog while they are living in an apartment
you may want to check that out for yourself because it's not like a regular pet the dog is also protecting you. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue
Hi Sue
I m pretty sure we can have service dogs here in rental properties. I have a friend with epilepsy and her seizures are worse then mine who is going through the process of trying to get a service dog. I believe its a very long process because of the cost involved but she’s been getting assistance through agencies.

I have never had a medical dog but we did have one that would tell me when I was going to have a seizure.

My husband, sardog, and I used to to search and rescue work with dogs. We had two Australian Shepherds. They were brother and sister and Isaac was my dog and Delta was my hubby's. Since we each worked closely with our dog they were usually with us. Isaac seldom left my side unless he was working. Delta on the other hand seldom had anything to do with me unless I had food for them. She was my husband's dog.

Then, when she was about a year, years and a half old she started following me around from room to room and crying until I would sit down. When I would sit she would go do something else, but as soon as I got up again she would do it again. Within about 24 hours I had a seizure. We didn't really put two and two together the first couple times she did it, but after a few we did. When she would start following me around crying until I sat down we could bet there was a pretty good chance I was going to have a seizure within the next 24 hours or so.

It got to where when she would start doing it we'd just plan on being home or somewhere safe because she was so often right. I don't know how she knew but she did. Isaac never acted a bit different. She did it til she was almost 11 years old but she went blind and got too frail herself. They have both been gone almost 6 years now and I still miss them every day.

in uk you can have service dog....IF CONDITION that bad what ever it was you should be housed in disability housing and dog with you...WELL that theary but these days housing, disability not so easy I think many brits understand take for instance places like Bradford Birmingham...be very cruel deprive someone service dog

My last Seizure Dog was a Doberman. What he did was, he'd sit against me and make certain that nobody would go through my pockets while I was helpless.
He was EXTREMELY good at his job, as you might be able to imagine. A snarling, barking Doberman weighing roughly 80 pounds is a very effective deterrent for not only scumbags, but EMTs as well. I had to tie his leash to a picnic table once in the nearby park just so that I could go over to the ambulance and tell them to go away because they were TERRIFIED to approach.
Oh and at home, yes, he'd do basically the same thing (without the snarling), he'd sit against me and "guard" me, and I'd come to finding him licking my face. He would even gently place himself between my Wife and me during an episode and post ictal, driving her mad and making her put him in another room on occasion. :)

He passed away unfortunately of a heart condition two years ago. Apparently it's a Doberman thing that occasionally occurs, nobody told us when we got him. We still miss him.

I'm told that I can train Marlowe (my Hearing Dog) to do the same thing, but my illness has progressed to the point that I can't go out alone any longer anyway, I would simply become lost, so I teasingly tell people in front of my Spouse that I now have a "Seizure Wife". :)
She has the unfortunate burden of taking me wherever I have to go, and serves the same purpose as our lost Doberman as well as the added benefit of making certain that nobody calls an ambulance for which we'd be expected to pay when WE did not call for them.

Obtaining a Seizure Dog in the USA COSTS. If you want one for nothing, you get put on a list, and you had better believe that it's one HECK of a long list. So we paid.
He was worth it. Even though we only had him for around six years or so.
EDIT: My Wife just corrected me. He died when he five.

Thank you. I have been curious about how and what it's like. This is good info. Thank you,.

I also can't go anywhere alone . No dog and no predictability to seizures at at all. Retractable. It is extremely challenging to live with a Longtime . lover. We're try to find ways for me too go out with company in order to give both of us a MENTAL BREAK. I may go out on the bus and more, Main Streets, people around. That I hope someone will call 911 for an ambulance. But. They sit there and say"there is nothing we can do but sit and watch the seizure go until it stops. Even if it's 20 minutes before they bring to hospital etc. And that won't stop it. My girlfriend has the special, emergency drug, of diazepam gel stuff that she puts between my cheek and gums. I wear dentures that don't fit well at all so my partner monitors so that I don't choke. She is specially trained to do this because she is not an official RN.

Back
Top Bottom