Medication Mix-Up

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Debbie

New
Reaction score
I am currently with an HMO and having trouble with the doctors there.

1. Psychiatrist wants me off of Klonopin, which I have been on for 17 years, due to my age. I'm 62. Medicare is putting the squeeze on filling of benzo's for someone my age and my HMO is complying.

2. Psychiatrist will introduce Effexor as I titrate down from Klonopin. He wants this all to happen within 30 days as he will not write another prescription of Klonopin. This frightens me going off of this, this fast after being on it for 17 years. He said to me he will never have his name on another prescription for Klonopin. I called the pharmacy and they will also block it.

3. My neurologist wants me to go on Depakote right now due to my EEG findings.

4. This is supposed to happen all at the same time and I'm worried as I won't know what side effects are coming from which drug or if I am having those dangerous withdrawal effects from coming off of a benzo. No one will listen to me.

5. I have tried all the other anti-seizure meds and they are too strong for me, Depakote is the last one. I react badly to sedation.

6. My anxiety disorder is crippling so much so I can't leave my home unless I am on an anti-anxiety med, like Klonopin. I also have Panic attacks and agraphobia.

I need some suggestions and help. Thanks.

Debbie

Last edited:
Debbie

That is a long time to be on a drug, 17 years, the older we get the likes of benzo's are not good on our system and this could be the main reason for stopping it and it is easy to become reliant on any one drug which is not good for you. Klonopin is called clonazepam in Europe and it sounds as though you have become dependent on it.

I do not blame you for being worried and I think the doctors should understand as well, you will need to be extra vigilant about the side effects if this is the way it has to be. Would you not try asking your doctor about this some more and maybe he can put you at ease a bit more.

Did the doctors give you any more information.

Hi Fedup ~ These doctors are following the HMO guidelines. There is no consideration for patient care and respect for individual needs. I have been fighting with them for months now over this and so far no resolution.

I sent off an email tonight to my psychiatrist at the HMO asking him to outline a step by step plan for everything. The second opinion psychiatrist at this HMO, I spoke with today, seems more reasonable, he felt it may take up to 2 years to get me off of this benzo. I quite agree. But he is in another state and have only had phone consultations with him. He has tried to get my psychiatrist to agree to this and he won't. My psychiatrist is refusing to write me anymore prescriptions for Klonopin. He wants me off of this drug in 30 days. I told him that if this is the only way, the HMO will have to put me in detox to do this at the HMO's expense. No comment from him on the detox part.

The generic for Klonopin is Clonazepam in the US, too.

I may get a reply tomorrow and it probably won't agree with me at all, but I want him to put this in writing, then I will lodge another complaint against this doctor. I already have several complaints already. So, he's walking on thin ice already.

I have been slowly titrating down from 2 mg to 1 mg but can't get below that. Anything less than that I get the DT's, hallucinations, heart irregularities, difficulty breathing, etc. It's very scary.

Will let you know what transpires tomorrow. Thank you for your interest Fedup :)

Debbie

Debbie, I do wish the best for you, and with luck good things will be coming your way with the meds. Fingers crossed for ya!

klonopin is notorious for it's lethal seizure-related withdrawals. it has to be carefully titrated, cold-turkey is very dangerous.

Having to be getting new meds myself, or at least the carbamazepine, I think I am going to try not getting that klonopin, nor that other one that I keep hearing about that makes one cranky. I want the mellow ones that stop my seizures... Maybe i can try to go back to Dilantin which I have been off for probably 10 years... :ponder:

Sure hope yours turns out best Debbie.

Don't have any better advice to give Debbie, just wanted to wish you well with your doctors and getting the assistance you need.

Q

I was on Effexor before I was diagnosed with E. While it was effective in controlling my anxiety and depression, it was HORRIBLE to withdrawal from!!! If you don't mind staying on it the rest of your life it's ok. But if you think you'll want to come off it someday then be prepared. :(. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I hope you do ok with the changes of meds. I'm pulling for ya. :)

CathyAnn31 ~ Yeup, you are 100% correct, Effexor is rated the number 1 worst drug to go off of. I have been on it before and it took me a year to get ride of the withdrawal effects. This is the only drug other than a benzo that handled anxiety that I could tolerate. Sigh.............. Thanks for pulling for me. Waiting to hear today from my pdoc.

Debbie

Cadsgj and Mylo ~ Thank you for your well wishes. Mylo, this psychiatrist at my HMO wanted me off of Klonopin within 30 days and I know he doesn't get it and is not practicing good medicine. He's irresponsible. I'm just biding my time in getting an answer from him. He's backed himself into a corner with all this now, so it should be interesting to see what he comes up with to protect himself.

Debbie

This is soo frustrating. Every time I need this psychiatrist he is not available. Last time I had to reach him, he was out and expected back the next day, then the next day, then the whole week. Now he's out again :-( Just found this out after their office closed for the weekend......... typical. There is alot I don't like nor respect about this psychiatrist nor this HMO. I will never go back to him again, but he has to treat me until I am under the care of another psychiatrist out of the HMO. I need that plan from him and every time I reach out to him, I really think, since I reported him, he avoids me. It took weeks to get answers the last time. It took 3 months to get in to see him initially. Now to switch to a new psychiatrist at this HMO, the first available is in November, get that !!

Debbie

If he doesn't respond to me by close of business on Monday, I will have to report him to upper management and quality control.... again. I did call today and found out he was there because each time I call he puts this "out of office" on his replies to my emails, then I go back and double check and he's in for the entire day, so I have come to believe he does this just to my emails. I'm soo pissed. My Klonopin prescription expires in three weeks and I have nothing to carry me over. This is how HMO's treat their patients. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!! Now I have the weekend to simmer and fuss over.

What kind of doctor is he when he's gone all the time? This will be another issue I will raise when I call Quality Control on Monday.

Debbie

I'm sorry Debbie. :(. ***hugs***

Have you thought about cymbalta? It's in the same class as Effexor and maybe not so terrible to get off of.

Hi CathyAnn31 ~ Yes, I have tried Cymbalta and it caused long term dizziness and balance problems. Thank you for your suggestion :)

Debbie

I'm sorry Debbie. :(. ***hugs***

Have you thought about cymbalta? It's in the same class as Effexor and maybe not so terrible to get off of.

Back
Top Bottom