Medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
Do lamotrgine effect finger and toe nails make them grow faster with horizontal and vertical ridges and grooves...I not seen anything apart from hair loss in my readings of it but if others have this then be intresting if connection and as to why...
I know age has certain effect but this is more exaggerated

That sounds weird Seagull. I Googled it and found nothing. Maybe you should ask your Nero. My nails are as hard as a rock. I can only cut them after a shower when they're soft.

Well, one of the medications I'm on causes my fingernails to be a bit soft and break/split easily and grow more slowly. Wouldn't surprise me if other fingernail issues could occur, too!

Yes mine soft and break on fingers I have to cut finger nails twice to three times a week they ridged.toe nail worse looks like shArpe brick dropped on it looks like been cut in half upper half grows upward ruined my boots I would say blood surply not good either because I can lift it off nail bed with no feelings but bottom half do have blood surply chiropodist says never seen this before

Anything that affects the hair also impacts the nails. Fingernails are made out of the same stuff as hair so I wouldn't doubt if the package says "hair loss" there could also be some fingernail weakness.

The best thing for both hair and nails is to add gelatin to your diet.

Anything that affects the hair also impacts the nails. Fingernails are made out of the same stuff as hair so I wouldn't doubt if the package says "hair loss" there could also be some fingernail weakness.

The best thing for both hair and nails is to add gelatin to your diet.

That claim has been made by many non-medical individuals but so far there is nothing to conclusively show that gelatin works. I'm also speaking as someone who tried it & got absolutely no results for my hair or nails.

Web MD says about gelatin:

Insufficient Evidence for:

A kind of arthritis called osteoarthritis. There is some clinical evidence that gelatin might relieve pain and improve joint function in patients with osteoarthritis.
Brittle bones (osteoporosis).
Strengthening bones and joints.
Strengthening fingernails.
Improving hair quality.
Weight loss.
Shortening recovery after exercise and sports-related injury.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1051-gelatin.aspx?activeingredientid=1051

Yes, yes, we know. WebMD hasn't found a gold standard study yet so it automatically lists it as "insufficient evidence". Who is going to bother doing a gold standard study on something readily available at any grocery store for pennies?

And for your anecdote that it doesn't do any good I have an anecdote that says it does. Me.

No, gelatin is not a "miracle cure" for hair loss or splitting nails. Never said it was. What it basically is is pure concentrated protein with minimal calories (provided you get the unsweetened kind). It gives your body the building blocks to make things like hair and nails. It's a great way to increase your protein intake without chowing down on a porterhouse steak every day.

No, gelatin is not a "miracle cure" for hair loss or splitting nails. Never said it was.
Who said anything about claims of miracle cures? I'm not even sure why you'd bring that up. All I said was that it has not been shown to help your nails.

Who is going to bother doing a gold standard study on something readily available at any grocery store for pennies?

If it worked, then that would be exactly why money would be spent on it. The pharmaceutical companies work by isolating the active ingredient(s) of plants and turning them into concentrated drugs. Even with marijuana has had its ingredients identified & put into pill form
10 Pharmaceutical Drugs Based on Cannabis

No, gelatin is not a "miracle cure" for hair loss or splitting nails. Never said it was. What it basically is is pure concentrated protein with minimal calories (provided you get the unsweetened kind). It gives your body the building blocks to make things like hair and nails. It's a great way to increase your protein intake without chowing down on a porterhouse steak every day.
Peeling nails are usually the result of repeatedly getting them wet and letting them dry again. Washing your hands and doing certain household chores — washing dishes, scrubbing the bathtub and watering the lawn — make nails brittle and dry. A better investment than gelatin is a good moisturizer that contains lanolin or alpha-hydroxy acids
Gelatin does contain some protein. However, if protein were responsible for improving brittle, peeling nails, gelatin would be a poor choice, given the fact that other foods are much higher in protein. Eating or drinking gelatin won't strengthen weak nails, nor will soaking your hands in gelatin.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/488800-does-drinking-knox-gelatin-help-with-peeling-nails/

Last edited:
Oh, Eric. Again?

No gold standard studies=/=no evidence.

Obviously gelatin is not the world's only source of protein but it has a lot of protein per calorie. Your hair and nails are made out of protein. The "active ingredient" as you put it, is protein. There are loads of protein supplements you can buy but gelatin is cheap and readily available without any extra stuff you don't need like fake sugars and such. (I'm talking about what is in most "protein powders")

Obviously repeated soakings and lots of soap are not good for nail health nor are nail polishes and the polish remover. But nothing that is done topically, be it soaking in gelatin or slathering on moisturizers, is going to help the nails. Strength comes from within.

In case you had forgotten the OP was about medication causing nail and hair damage. Taking a poke at me for a side comment about gelatin is getting way off topic and is not helping anyone.

Last edited:
In case you had forgotten the OP was about medication causing nail and hair damage. Taking a poke at me for a side comment about gelatin is getting way off topic and is not helping anyone.
I've told you before that you are not being "poked" and I was not off topic. The topic You brought up was gelatin & stated something that wasn't shown to be proven so I felt that needed to be pointed out. You replied and that's fine but we're here to discuss topics relevant to epileptic health & that's what I'm doing. Not everyone who has a different opinion than you is "poking" you, especially when the only way this is about you is that you've just made yourself the topic with that claim.

Last edited:
You could ask your doctor to test your blood on high thyroid hormone level, this certainly affects hair (hair loss) and nails, I know from personal experience (I have Graves disease.) This is an often overlooked cause because the symptoms are atypical.

Last edited:
You could ask your doctor to test your blood on high thyroid hormone level, this certainly affects hair (hair loss) and nails, I know from personal experience (In have Graves disease.) This is an often overlooked cause because the symptoms are atypical.

God thyroid it swings over and under all the time on thyroxin and have been told thyroxin is only one part of hormone doc not allowed give full hormone and hospital consultant got be thyroid registered.
Only certain blood test can be done hospital lab just send docs blood forms back.
I do know of people who got extr bit of hormone over Internet but hit or miss to quality.
I thought b12 had tests and it low but hospitals have changed perimeter of what is normal
I will try gelatine got nothing to lose but no answer question is it kids jelly mellow the seaweed version or other type do I eat it or stick me fingers in it

It helped ME!!

You could ask your doctor to test your blood on high thyroid hormone level, this certainly affects hair (hair loss) and nails, I know from personal experience (I have Graves disease.) This is an often overlooked cause because the symptoms are atypical.

I, too, have a thyroid problem and it DOES affect my nails. Also, some of the AEDs can affect one's thyroid.

God thyroid it swings over and under all the time on thyroxin and have been told thyroxin is only one part of hormone doc not allowed give full hormone and hospital consultant got be thyroid registered.Only certain blood test can be done hospital lab just send docs blood forms back.

Don't you have a regular GP who could do a lab test? Why a hospital consultant? My regular GP is the one who diagnosed my thyroid problem.

seagull said:
I do know of people who got extr bit of hormone over Internet but hit or miss to quality.
I thought b12 had tests and it low but hospitals have changed perimeter of what is normal

Anything you get over the Internet is HIT or MISS!!

What IS "normal"?

No doc can do all thyroid test only t3 t4 in uk.Only ones that piturety related on thyroid can they do..Some doc have been kicked out Medicen because of it.This do not apply to other countries.Check it out on British Thyroid association ,I went to meeting about it once,came as big surprise to me

Normal thyroid blood values

TSH : 0,4 – 4,0 mU/l
T4 : 58 - 160 nmol/l - - - (4,5 - 12,6 μg/dl)
F(ree)T4 : ca. 7,0 - 16 pmol/l to ca. 10 - 23 pmol/l - - - (0,7 – 1,8 ng/dl)
T3 : 1,2 – 3,4 nmol/l - - - (80 – 180 ng/dl)
F(ree)T3 : 3,5 - 7,7 pmol/l - - - (0,2 – 0,5 ng/dl)

Normal T3: 1 - 3 nmol/ liter/ 0,9 - 2,6 nmol/l
Normal free T4 : 13-25 pmol/ liter

Last October I was admitted into the hospital (emergency) with 105 pmol/l FT4 and a heart beat 3x as fast as normal, holding 18 kg of extra weight thanks to fluid retention... I am on Strumazol (thyroid blocker) and Thyrax (thyroid hormone) at the same time now, waiting what the result of a nuclear iodium treatment will be when I'll stop these meds in March. Furthermore a heavy blood thinner, a beta blocker and two diuretics. Pffft. Graves disease is familiar, my sister has it too.

Last edited:
In your case they would tested and prescribed it.i had over active 1974 but under active now

Before anyone gets too carried away with thinking gelatin is a cheap protein replacement for meat, eggs, and poultry it is important to be aware that gelatin lacks (or contains inadequate amounts) of many of the essential amino acids found in meat, eggs and poultry Although gelatin is 98–99% protein by dry weight, it has less nutritional value than many other complete protein sources. This from wikipedia: It is unusually high in the nonessential amino acids glycine and proline (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucine, threonine, and methionine. The approximate amino acid composition of gelatin is: glycine 21%, proline 12%, hydroxyproline 12%, glutamic acid 10%, alanine 9%, arginine 8%, aspartic acid 6%, lysine 4%, serine 4%, leucine 3%, valine 2%, phenylalanine 2%, threonine 2%, isoleucine 1%, hydroxylysine 1%, methionine, and histidine <1% and tyrosine <0.5%. These values vary, especially the minor constituents, depending on the source of the raw material and processing technique.[13]

Gelatin is also a topical hemostatic. A piece of gelatin sponge of appropriate size is applied on bleeding wound, pressed for some time, and tied in bandage. Hemostatic action is based on platelets damage at the contact of blood with gelatin, which activates the coagulation cascade. Gelatin also causes a tamponading effect – blood flow stoppage into a blood vessel by a constriction of the vessel by an outside force.[14]

Scientific publications give evidence that consumption of oral gelatin has beneficial effect for some fingernail changes and diseases.[15][16][17][18]

I know wikipedia is no "bible" but it will give those reading this thread a reason to question gelatin as a complete source of protein, and look further into it. I found it interesting that the first 20 sites listed when I googled "protein in gelatin" were all either sales or quackery-type sites.

Back
Top Bottom