Memory Issues

How long do your memory issues last after your seizure?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

For me, it generally takes me a 5-15 minutes to figure out exactly whats going on. After a seizure I will continue what I was doing without realizing that I had one. But Im also at a loss of words when i try to talk.

when i've had a seizure, i black out for an amount of time, depending on how bad the seizure was, but when i come round, i have to ask people if if i've had a fit because i get really confused and my memory is terrible! i can be with my mum or a close friend and find myself asking for them!

When I first started having seizures (last October), I recovered my faculties almost immediately. Now I am having them much more frequently and have a fair amount of short term memory loss. Most of my long term memories appear to be intact. My mind perks up anywhere between two days and more than a week, depending on how severe the seizure is.

Durring my menses my memory is really bad. I have a good long term memory, but short term sucks. The best thing for me when I am going thru a spurt of seizures is to get outside and walk, even if it's just around the block or put on some very low soothing music, make sure you eat, and for a couple of days exorcise your brain by memorizing a few simple things like where things are, names, easy stuff. These things help me anyway.

I think that my memory issues mostly follow the t/c. I think it takes 20 minutes or so to 'come to' and realize who I am. (Usually, I am in an ambulance already when that happens). Things start coming back slowly, but I think I am doing good by the time I leave the hospital. A funny thing, the last time I had a seizure, I was walking around (post-ictal), picked up my phone, and entered my access code. I couldn't answer any of the questions I was asked, but I managed to do that so they could call my wife. I was, of course, told about this later when I was trying to figure out how they called my wife from my cell phone. I might spend the rest of the day after a seizure in a bit of a haze, but I think I am fine by the next morning.

SeizetheNight

When I first was diagnosed with epilepsy, about 7 years ago, I would forget days up to weeks after a seizure. Now I may forget what happened during that day after a seizure but my long term memory is horrible. Usually after a month or so things just fade away. Some things will stay up there but most things are gone.

I spent part of Sunday with a bunch of senior citizens diagnosed with dementia. There's nothing like being around people who have it worse than you do to make you feel really lucky. I made lots of new friends. Then made new friends with the same people 10 minutes later. Even though they forgot me, for some reason they remembered my dog. Go figure. :)

I have pretty bad memory.Names of people and things,or even words I want to use in a sentence I forget.
My memory was worse in school when I was having small petit mals and absence seizures all day.
I would be in maths class and be doing all the work correctly.
Then I would get home with my homework and wouldn't have a clue how to do it.
My teachers didn't understand why I came in pretty much everyday with either no homework or little homework done.
Everyone just thought I was goofing off.

I answered a day but I'm begining to question that. I was talking with my guy about how I hadn't had a full T/C since May only the half a seizure where my muscles tensed up the right side of my body with me being awake (sucky). He told me that I had a seizure last month they had sent me home early by cab cuz I wasn't well. Supposedly i had the seizure in bed. I don't remember any of it...

Memory

My situ is complicated by combination of E & brain injury in 2006 - consequently No short term memory- tell me something & I forget it in 20 mins but remember it as if it were my thought 2 hrs later!
(It can have it's advantages tho!!)
Col

I know I already posted my answer but my memory has gotten worse as my seizures have increased in frequency.
I'm having between 4-6 Tonic Clonic's a week and various amounts of Myoclonics and I don't know how many absence seizures I'm having.
My memory is quite bad,can't remember meetings I'm supposed to have,words,things like that.
So my memory is not so good.

o gosh its so scary after a tonic clonic i wont remember anything im wondering around ppl are talking to me but i cant answer then about hour later it hits me i remember the warning bit of sezure all of a sudden never remember it all but most of the first bit of it sometimes the head turning

I've found my memory after a partial seizure is fine, after a full blown blackout I only remember bits about the entire day, even where I was before blacking out, I remembered the events leading up to it, just not where I was, I remember the ambulance, I remember giving a urine sample, and trying to work out the TV in the hospital before giving up and going to sleep, then being woken up in the middle of the night by a doctor telling me something, no idea what, but it seemed important. These memories came back over a few weeks, but the majority of that day is gone.

My girlfriend has short term memory problems.

Not overly severe but enough to upset her. I get the feeling this can be helped by her focussing on one thing at a time. She has a habit of starting something, like getting her meds out to take, then gets distracted by our beagle doing something stupid and will then go back to watching TV or something and 20mins later seeing her pills still sitting there. Then she starts freaking out thinking of "what ifs" like what if our dog had jumped up and eaten the meds? Or what if I have the oven on and forget about it? She has a habit of thinking about the terrible "what ifs".

After her tonic clonic seizures, she is generally "out of it" for anywhere between 15-60 minutes. She only starts recalling who I am and where she is after 30 mins or so. She will have generally not remember anything for hours before either.

It has definitely affected her short term memory in general though.

It takes me up to two or three weeks after a grand mal before I know names of coworkers, relatives, or people I have met in the past. After having a few bad seizures I think my memory got worse. I had people coming up to me to say hi and start a conversation and meanwhile I am trying to figure out how I know them so my husband has to tell me. Sometimes my husband tells me we are going somewhere and gets ready to leave and I am like...where are you going? He just says omg... I just told you, your memory really IS bad...lol

Last edited:
I think meds do that and lots of seizures do that. I used to have a great memory. It is really bad now. But I am on a lot of meds. Not just for epilepsy either. My son is 14 and has myoclonic seizures and has been taking depakote and topamax for his seizures and his memory is awesome. I think its more about seizure activity that we don't see. I don't remember people. Things that happenned. Mostly short term. I would get an eeg to see if things have changed. I need to do that for my self to.

she just sounds like she has some activity going on after the seizure. I do that all the time. Just kindly remind her. That's what my boyfriend does for me.

i have terrible memory loss short and long not sure if long is from epilepsy or meds but after i have a t/c im out of sight and mind for at least a few hours then want to sleep if by myself i know i had a t/c cause cant remember where im at and my wholr body hurts try to crawl to the bed.but after a seizure i dont know who anybody is or day for awhile and my long term if i see people or someone tries to bring up memories of childhood dont know.ran into a old friend had know idea who he was went up to my wife said wats up with him.u get use to it.

My memory is not. Plus when under good stress or bad stress there it goes. My son was raped by another student in Sept. So everything is focused on him right now and the rest of my brain is out the door. I dont remember friends or what I said to somebody. I have to be careful. I keep a little notepad in my purse. A sense of humor helps to.My medical history I have to look up. My childhood is confusing.I remember things differently yesterday then I do today If I remember them at all.I need good sleep. Healthy foods, and walking or some outside activity. My memory is probably the worst here, I hope.Love yourself ,get your rest and take your meds.

Back
Top Bottom