Memory Issues

How long do your memory issues last after your seizure?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cadsgj that's very interesting! I've never felt a seizure in that way so it was insightful to read how yours feel. During your complex partials, do you ever lose your eyesight along with your sense of reality? Or, can you see still? If I have a partial that doesn't give me amnesia, the first thing I notice is that my vision goes tunnel and dimmed prior to my consciousness being impaired. I always have a moment where I say.. what the heck?? right before I zone out haha Every time!! One of these times I might remember I have E...but nope! I always think I'm going blind or something LOL

ah yes, i remember just a few months ago i had only been having (and i do not like to say "only" doesn't that diminish it in some way?) but complex partials or temporal lobe; this is where i had vertigo and strong feelings of out of body experiences yet aware the whole time. i could see and hear everything but knew i could not speak or move my body so i would just wait and it passed. it was relaxing, in a way. Now i only have complete blank out tonic clonic types. i miss the feared temporal lobe ones that i had before i started these meds. (now keppra.) several months of seizure free but i know my days are numbered.

My memory is terrible on my mediation. I pretty much only remember the basics that get me through, I can never remember new names and couldn't complete college for the second time because a lot of the names and dates I needed to remember seemed to be falling straight through my skull as soon as I wrote it down.

Anyway, when I was on Keppra I had a HORRIBLE experience.
I have been told that it was all a normal day up till about ten, my mum got me up for college, I got the bus with a friend, we did classes.

I didn't even have a seizure - but they said it was like I lost my mind and I couldn't remember why I was there or who they were.
I had forgotten the last (about) six months of my life.
Gone in the click of a finger.

Then I went home with my mum and eventually went to sleep, and it started coming back after I woke.

All I can think of is that I had an absence and it buggered something. I got checked out and was fine, nothing as bad (memorywise) has happened since.

Its pretty hazy - pretty sure its pretty embarassing.

BrandoBrat, when seizures start to hit me I always first try heading to a place where no one will see during this time... usually I make it. Then, if it hasn't really already started (who knows why) I get on the ground and try curling up; who knows why, I don't :rolleyes: maybe I think I am hidden. Then it hits me and I don't loose eyesight, just touch with reality as I know it, at least if I do loose eyesight, I never really know it. Everything I do see is like silent tv... I see it, it is not my world, and sound goes away I believe merely in my mind.

The first thing that happens, which is how I know the seizure is coming, is very similar to yours, "the first thing I notice is that my vision goes tunnel and dimmed prior to my consciousness being impaired" but my vision doesn't get dimmed or go tunnel, I just see it as leaving this world... I don't even know my family if I had not gotten out of the room, only people in a different place.

Janus, what you mentioned, this is soooo similar to mine,

"but complex partials or temporal lobe; this is where i had vertigo and strong feelings of out of body experiences yet aware the whole time. i could see and hear everything but knew i could not speak or move my body so i would just wait and it passed"

I just see myself in a different world. But if I knew a seizure is coming and I have the choice between complex partial and tonic clonic, tonic clonic would be my choice as I get to slip away from this world in the subconscious passed out mode :) takes longer to recover for me but at least I get to go away.

I rarely have grand mal, oh I mean tonic clonic :) I think four in close to the last 20 years (2 were bad but only via issues aside from the actual seizure).

I'm the same way can take me weeks to a month to recall past events except if I gained a concussion from falling and hitting my head during a seizure..then those moments are lost =0( I lost an entire Christmas and New Year Holiday from suffering a bad seizure in which I ended up with hitting my head bad...have pictures no recollection of any of it!! Also if I'm questioned about any of my seizures and the time right after one I can only recall bits and pieces of the event like recalling a dream.

Depending on how bad my seizure was. A light seizure a few minutes and a really bad seizure can take days to a week for me get back to normal.

Ditto Belinda5000. at times most of my recall comes back within an hour. But other seizures leave me with nothing.

Lately been feeling crazy, my short term memory is shot. After having several seizures (to clonic and myoclonic as well as absent) I find that day to day short term memory is shot. I couldn't tell what I did yesterday. Anyone else experience this?

I do, but only due to a surgery I had a couple years ago.

I rely on my Twin for her great memory to remind me what I was doing when I get distracted, or what I had said I was going to do, and I make notes on my phone with reminders for when I've talked to a family member and I've agreed to watch kids, I'm going somewhere or if a family gathering is happening that day so I won't be too surprised. Or annoyed since I didn't remember.

Back
Top Bottom