Memory Issues

How long do your memory issues last after your seizure?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am curious as to how long, if at all, you may have memory problems after a seizure? For me, it can be as long as a couple of days. Today is 5 days since my last seizure and so far so good on remembering. But as of yesterday, I was still having problems with day of the week, some names and simple words like car. Nothing concerning, as I am able to get the word eventually and all that, but it is still quite annoying ;)

Last edited:
I have

major issues with memory after one of my tonic clonics. Of course, within the first couple of days, I remember absolutely nothing. I can't even tell you who my kids are...I only recognize 2 people---my best friend, and my husband. Then it takes several weeks to know what I'm supposed to be doing when, much less communicating words to speak---I can't remember them. It takes months for me to remember past events......vacations and the like. Some of them I STILL don't remember.

There's a reason why I prefer NOT to have my T/C's.:paperbag:

I seem to be having memory problems a lot lately. I had to guess at my age when i went for my passport interview (i couldn't remember if i was still 22, or maybe 23 or if i'd reached 24). Luckily i guessed right or they could have thought me a fraud.

I forget words and faces a lot, especially if the faces are out of context - for example if it's someone that i've met a lot of times through work, and then i see them in town then i can't make the connection, or my old high school best friend, who i didn't recognise when i saw her recently. We had a whole conversation whilst i was searching for clues to find out exactly who she was. Then i forget words or what i was talking about.

I'm still not sure if these are seizure related as it's still not confirmed that i'm having nocturnals although my neurologist says it is about 90-95 percent certain.

I have grand mals. there are many things that I do not remember at all. At one point, I didn't realize that I was married at the time. When I came home from work, I found someone in my apartment that I didn't recognize. I panicked and called the police. My poor hubby had to show the officer our marriage certificate, id, and proof that he actually lived there. I vaguely remember this incident. But not clearly. Theres' lots of things that I don't remember from when my hubby and I were dating. Parts of my childhood memory are gone too. This is why I keep a journal. :)

My wife certainly has up to a week sometimes with memory issues.

With her t-c's she's usually really bad for about 15-20 minutes. She doesn't even know who I am for a while. Depends really on how long it takes for her to recognize me. For at least 15-20, even if she knows who I am and where she's at, she still can't recall most other things correctly.

When she had her partial it was a good 2-3 hours of this. She knew who I was and where she was at, but other then that she was completely off. It was like she could hear what I was saying and somewhat comprehend it, but couldn't formulate the correct words to communicate back.

Smaller memory issues (day of the week, birthdays, important dates, etc) usually last longer. Around a week in most cases.

Today I opened the pantry and told my husband "Wow! When did you organize the pantry? It looks great! I love it!" :dancing:

He informed me that he has not touched the pantry and I did that about two weeks ago. Hmmmmm:ponder:

We laughed about it.:roflmao: I told him he should have just went with it and and I would have thought all day what a sweet thing he did for me. :star:

Rebecca loses the time preceeding a seizure. She has never mentioned that it ever returns. So she has lost the memory for the whole morning. Works against her in school, since the instructors are clueless and can't seem to comprehend this symptom.

I did read, though haven't found the time to figure it out completely.... that low blood sugar affects this part of the brain. So seizures caused by hypoglycemia can cause memory issues.

Is Rebecca's loss of time considered an aura prior to the seizure? I usually lose time during the seizure itself. I'm curious - in a healthy way. :ponder: My tonic-clonic seizures last only minutes, fortunately.

I am like that every day. Mostly because of the coma, stroke , cancer thing. When I have seizures it just makes it worse.

It has never been described as an aura. I really don't know what to call it actually. There are some papers that state that if a seizure occurs due to hypoglycemia then it isn't actually Epilepsy. Two or more seizures of unknown origin is labeled Epilepsy. I guess since we have found the cause, it now loses the label. Her last seizure was early May. So, due to watching foods that contribute to the imbalance we have been able to control her seizures.

Hmmm, I

lose the time preceding the seizure, and the time after the seizure, until my brain decides to finally grasp the reality of when it really is in regards to the timeline of the day or week. I may be able to piece together what I was doing shortly before the seizure by things that were around me, but I won't realize what they meant until much later....

I'm on the lucky end of this. I'm usually oriented to time place & date as well as what I'm doing at the moment when I regain consciousness.

I too have a memory problem, maybe similar to Sheri's. My seizures were nocturnal, now controlled with meds. I didn't have much trouble with short term memory, but I completely lost some things that happened earlier, even maybe a few months ago. For example, I met a good friend who lives far from me, but who was nearby for a few days. I drove an hour to meet her and we spent the day together. I have no memory of that. And I've lost other memories like that, but not all. I don't know if others have this problem.

marion,

Same here. I have nocturnal seizures too.:ponder:

Last edited:
Interesting Sheri. Are you still having seizures? And do you remember after you're reminded about something? I sometimes partially remember and sometimes not at all.

Interesting Sheri. Are you still having seizures? And do you remember after you're reminded about something? I sometimes partially remember and sometimes not at all.

Marion,
My last one was three weeks ago. (I have been on keppra since then and I guess it is working.)

I am like you in that sometimes I remember when reminded and sometimes I still don't remember. It can be quite frustrating. (I still don't remember organizing the pantry. But it looks nice.) :)

It has never been described as an aura. I really don't know what to call it actually. There are some papers that state that if a seizure occurs due to hypoglycemia then it isn't actually Epilepsy. Two or more seizures of unknown origin is labeled Epilepsy. I guess since we have found the cause, it now loses the label. Her last seizure was early May. So, due to watching foods that contribute to the imbalance we have been able to control her seizures.

So...... since Rebecca had a seizure Friday evening,(mentioned in another posting) how do you know for sure that the soda brought on the seizure? How do you know Rebecca doesn't have an aura? The aura is actually considered part of the seizure.

I have diabetes AND epilepsy, so I have experienced hypoglycemia(in the low 30's) and hyperglycemia (in the 500's) and neither have brought on a seizure, yet. I understand that one's diet is very important, but how do you know for sure the seizures are brought on by hypoglycemia? How low is her glucose level? Do you have her test it regularly? What does the endocrinologist have to say?

How do you know if her seizures aren't hormonal?

As far as my seizures, I've had them morning, noon and night, and depending on severity and the meds I was on, parts I remember, and some not at all.

Here's hoping the Keppra will do the trick for you Sheri :yippee: I haven't had a seizure in two months, and I think my memory is getting better. Now I'm wondering if the "lost" memories will come back. I read a book I had read before and didn't even know it!!!

Cint, you have hot the nail on the head, I believe. Granted, aspartame only exacerbates the propensity for seizure occurrence, but I can recall during puberty with all the hormonal changes taking place that this was a nightmare for my parents and me. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case in this situation. However, I'm not the dr. and not permitted to give an authoritative statement. Every person's situation is different.

Back
Top Bottom