Memory Loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Joby

New
Reaction score
Help - I don't know if this is "normal" after a seizure? I have had partial complex seizures for quite some time, currently on lamictal, and still have nocturnal seizures. The last one I had I was totally disoriented. We were not at home so the surroundings were different, totally dark frightened and did not know where I was. My husband told me we were at Julie (my daughter) and son-in-laws house but I couldn't remember where they lived, etc. It has been three days and I'm struggling with my memory. Do seizures destroy my brain?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

My daughter ALWAYS had memory loss after a seizure. It was the memory for the hours prior to the seizure that she lost, not after it.

I know how disturbing this must be for you. It certainly was for my daughter.

You might talk with your doctor about this side effect, because it might be due to your medication. Also check out http://askapatient.com to see if others experience this on lamictal. Rebecca had unacceptable muscle pain on this drug, she could not get up off of the couch, which is unusual for my athlete.

We have made nutritional changes, which has eliminated her seizures, and returned a positive outlook to her life.

Hi Joby.
I have short term memory loss when I have a seizure. I have had seizures since I was 17 and I am 54. Based on all the different types of seizures I have which is quite severe in nature I can tell you that your memory loss will be attributed to medication and the seizure itself. The amount of loss will depend on the severity of the seizure and also the amount of medication. My doctor told me it is more attributed to the seizure. Check the nocturnal seizures with your doctor. I was having them as well but my medication was adjusted. It is always a trial and error process with meds until your doctor can zero in on the right combination for you.

Thank you Robin.

I find it extremely difficult remembering some of the smallest things for days afterward, i.e. grasping for words just to respond when someone tells me something, how to perform a certain task at my job I have done without even thinking about it before...

One of the threads I read on testing/documenting my blood sugar i do plan on trying to see if that could be what is happening 3-hours after retiring.

Sometimes I want to wear a sign - I'm not stupid just slow due to seizures. I need to gef off my pitty pot.

I had a Grand Mal a year and a half ago and remember nothing between the time I had it to the time I woke up, am told I did wake up but I don't remember a thing until I woke in the ambulance briefly, then the hospital. Don't remember anything in between or right after. I remember three things, shopping one minute, waking in ambulance and in hospital, the rest is a blank.

the short term memory loss is one worse depressing things no one have patience with me..i have used that pitty pot many times..it do at times make me just want end it all,i usually rally myself ,,that others around like me is reliefe to read

((((hugs)))) I am another one who is affected both long and short term memory. I have no memories of my oldest son (now 21), his first 3 years. :( Not even pictures will help memories click. :(
I am forgetting stuff about my mom and sister (who passed in 2008 and 2010) and that really bothers me a lot.

I have lived in my current home for 4 years, and I still have to think of which way to go (step by step) to go places I have been 100x's :( In Arizona, every block, looks like the next (almost) and my mind just does not remember individual "blocks". So I could be a mile from my house and not know it.
The one that always gets me, and makes me so mad, is going to the Post Office. I almost always pass it. And I am always LOOKING FOR IT. It frustrates me to NO end. Or I can see where we are, street signs and I will still ask my husband if we're close to home :(

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy 9 years ago I wouldn't remember anything that happened the day of the seizure and sometimes a few days before too.

It has gotten alot better through the years. Now I may only forget things that happened an hour to a few minutes before the seizure. I won't remember things until I come completly out of the seizure.

I was having a good many small seizures yesterday and a few of them happened during a tv show. I watched the show again this evening and realized that I didn't remember about half of the things that went on during the show. It was almost as if I was watching it for the first time.

I once lost a semester of study after a seizure - it just went right out of my head and I had to relearn it - a pretty hard task with what has felt like a lump of rubber for a brain.
I also have very few memories of my own from my childhood and adolescence - memories I do have I can attribute to stories told to me by others.

I once lost a semester of study after a seizure - it just went right out of my head and I had to relearn it - a pretty hard task with what has felt like a lump of rubber for a brain.
I also have very few memories of my own from my childhood and adolescence - memories I do have I can attribute to stories told to me by others.

Wow an entire semester??? That would be awful.

My memory has gotten worse and worse (even before medication), and I attribute it quite a bit to seizures- especially because mine are in the left temporal lobe and usually consist of me "remembering " something that never happened. I can only imagine the damage that is doing to that part of my brain! I will forget stuff right after someone tells me-even if I repeat it. I also forget endings to almost every book and movie I've seen! And yea after my last TC I lost several of the hours before it happened, and pieces after I was coming back into consciousness when I was loaded onto the ambulance . I don't remember the CAT scan or blood tests and vaguely remember them saying they were taking off my clothes and I didn't care.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Lamictal is notorious for memory problems;or it could be your seizures. I'm still recovering from a T/C seizure few days ago. I'm still having trouble forming a sentence when someone asks me something. When I was on Lamictal 400 mg a day, my short term memory was really bad, that's one of the reasons I went off the drug. I was seizure free for the 3.5[Nvember 2009-January 2012] years I took the drug, but seizure returned on Thursday, so my doctor put me back on it. So it could be both or just one.

My short term memory loss was bad before the seizure and became worse after the seizure. Funny thing is, lately it's been a little better, can't explain it but not significant, will always have more loss than gain unfortunately.

I sent my doctor a note that I was experiencing memory loss, not my Neurologist, my primary doctor and I'm sure he's going to have some questions at our next appointment lol

Wow an entire semester??? That would be awful.

My memory has gotten worse and worse (even before medication), and I attribute it quite a bit to seizures- especially because mine are in the left temporal lobe and usually consist of me "remembering " something that never happened. I can only imagine the damage that is doing to that part of my brain! I will forget stuff right after someone tells me-even if I repeat it. I also forget endings to almost every book and movie I've seen! And yea after my last TC I lost several of the hours before it happened, and pieces after I was coming back into consciousness when I was loaded onto the ambulance . I don't remember the CAT scan or blood tests and vaguely remember them saying they were taking off my clothes and I didn't care.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
I can relate to not remembering the end of a book - I have always loved reading and in this case only, memory loss has been fantastic for me; I can read the same book, or series of books over and over again and get just as much enjoyment out of them as the first time I read them :) - maybe I was a goldfish in another life? One scary/troubling thought I sometimes have though, is that maybe this is what the beginnings of Alzheimer's looks like?

dealing with memory loss

i actually have this problem. i talked to my doctor about it and she said to battle this you have to keep learning stuff. kinda like Alzheimer patients. research, Sudoku, solitaire. anything to keep your brain working,. seizures attack your brain. I recently took up guitar AND piano simultaneously. for someone who doesnt read music I had to take that up too. so my brain is pretty busy. I suggest that if you dont like playing games. the idea is to gain new skills and develop yourself mentally.

I had a friend ask me if I can remember the spot that I left off when reading a book or if I had to re-read things due to my memory loss.
I said "What memory loss?" HA HA! I wasn't kidding even but I saw the humour of it later.
I find that I forget what people have asked me to do if they ask it just before I have a seizure. I think.

I know exactly how you feel!

Help - I don't know if this is "normal" after a seizure? I have had partial complex seizures for quite some time, currently on lamictal, and still have nocturnal seizures. The last one I had I was totally disoriented. We were not at home so the surroundings were different, totally dark frightened and did not know where I was. My husband told me we were at Julie (my daughter) and son-in-laws house but I couldn't remember where they lived, etc. It has been three days and I'm struggling with my memory. Do seizures destroy my brain?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I talked to my neurologist about this. I get something similar to this. As for me... I can be somewhere (usually Walmart)and its like.. I feel like I'm there but I don't KNOW that I'm there. my neurologist said its the epilepsy. Have you talked to your Neuro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention... I as well have memory loss... of course around the seizure day... but usually its everyday, seizure or not. Some days are way worse than the others... its so terrible that when people are in full conversation with me they talk or I ..... and I will COMPLETELY forget I was talking or that they were talking to me... I completely drift away and stop! People have gotten terribly upset with me assuming I'm not listening to them... which is not the case... I just drift away like we were never talking. The memory losses are a nightmare and embarrassing for me. It sure is a hassle

I had to get a new starter packet of Lactimal because I misplaced or lost the one my neurologist gave me recently. I knew that I had it in the house, but I couldn't find it anywhere. That's my recent memory loss story.

Last time I had a seizure I had quite a bit of memory loss which frightened me. As far as I was concerned I remembered everything that happened after I woke up from my seizure but then I realized I couldn't recall if the paramedics who attended to me were male or female, and when i got undressed that night I found sticky dots on my chest from where they did an ECG...I didn't remember them doing that at all! Just little things really but it came as a shock to me at the time! Took me a few days to get my short term memory back in working order again after that seizure.

Back
Top Bottom