Memory Loss?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ekuadam

New
Reaction score
My memory has never been the best but it seems like it has gotten worse since starting my Keppra. Anyone else experience this. I am on2500mg of keppra a day and 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). My medicine has had no other side effects. it just stinks because my wife gets frustrated if I forget something she has told me earlier in the day (or the day prior). just wondering.

Hi ekuadam, i am also on keppra, now I've not experienced memory loss from it that I've noticed, but I have from seizures. Could this be maybe a seizure that you are having and are just blanking what is being said? This happens to me a lot my sister gets very frustrated because she says I'm not listening to her. Also writing things down is invaluable so just write whatever is said down. It's not your fault you're forgetting and just having a list could settle a lot of unneccessary tension. Stay well :)

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is seizure activity. I think its a mix of medicine (possibly) and maybe some ADD. my memory has never been good and I do have to focus a lot more than most people to retain things. My wife also suggested I write everything down. I think I will start trying that.

Yes,yes,yes,i mentioned it to my nuero and she said yeah the aed do tend to do that to you.

I know that my memory is usually greatly effected after having a seizure (all my seizures have been grand mal), doesn't last forever, but it does last for awhile.

I usually get pretty emotional after having one also, lasts for a month or two. I'll cry at the dumbest things, usually music. Christ one time I found my self crying listening to a Van Halen song! lol And I never even really liked them that much. :)

I think often when our Brain is going through a lot of stress,
whether that is through life events, or starting a new drug,
it protects itself by shutting down some of the memory storage areas
so that it can use its energy on keeping vital life saving areas of our body working.

Starting a new drug can be quite a traumatic experience.
Our brain is receiving a direct chemical attack.
So it makes sence that it would protect itself.

As our minds and bodies get used to the drug then we should be able to re-activate those 'storage areas'.
However I think we have to be active in making this happen.

When you are feeling a little better spend some time reading your diaries, and looking in photo albums. It will help get things moving again.

Of course this is just my theory, but it seems to work for me :)

I'm on keppra too... 1000mg twice a day, I started taking in May this year and have slowly gone up the dose. My memory was golden but now it isn't. I lose my train of thought during conversations is the main thing I've noticed. I'm an events organizer by day so its a pretty big downfall, but during and after my seizures Its all one massive blur! I have complex partial seizures... and keppra isn't helping right now.
Anyone get migraines or headaches after seizures?

Back
Top Bottom