Mom - Son has possible e?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have a 6 yr old son that has had two seizures in the last 5 weeks. He does not feel well in his stomach and then just stares and is unresponsive. The last time, he was also incontinent. He has no recollection of what happened. We are going in for a sleep deprived EEG on Tuesday. Are there any questions we should be asking at this stage? Have any of you held off on giving meds? The pediatrician told us that a normal EEG doesn't rule out any problems. Any further testing we should request?

Hi Toronto Mom, welcome to CWE!

You might want to get the details on the EEG procedure, so that you can prepare your son for what will happen. It's a good sign that your pediatrician has cautioned you about the potential results. It's very true that EEGs generate both false positives and negatives, and don't always pick up abnormal brain activity.

There are seizures that manifest as gastric distress, so perhaps that's what's going on with your son. There are also a certain number that seem to be tied to food allergies, esp. gluten. I recommend you check out the link below. It documents RobinN's experience with using a gluten-free diet and neurofeedback (rather than meds) to treat her daughter's seizures.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f32/neurofeedback-rebeccas-story-2733/

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome T.O. Mom

I grew up in Ottawa but just got back from living 25 years in BC & I have to say that Ontario has a lot of facilities for people with epilepsy, and now that I'm back Toronto seems to have a lot in the way of alternative medicine.

I agree with Nakamova that you check out neurofeedback & diet to try and control the seizures but realise that they might be needed in conjunction with certain meds.

There is a place in Toronto that advertises on this site that offers 10% off if you mention CWE to them. http://www.brainandhealth.com/

I just wish they'd open a branch in Ottawa.

Back
Top Bottom