[Info] Mood & Anxiety are just as important in Treatment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
From the epilepsy.com website, treating the moods/anxiety that go along with epilepsy are just as important as treatment as seizures, especially what happens to those who experience it after brain surgery.
http://epilepsy.com/article/2014/4/...ail&utm_term=0_cf0feb6500-8d47a0b02c-12038029

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In the January 31, 2014, published ahead of print issue of the journal Neurology, Doctors Hamid and colleagues representing a multi-center epilepsy surgery consortium examine the complex relationship between depression, anxiety, seizure control, and quality of life outcomes after epilepsy surgery.

The study enrolled 373 patients from seven epilepsy centers with comprehensive diagnostic evaluation, psychiatric and follow-up quality of life evaluations.

Patients were evaluated before surgery and then up to 60 months after surgery
A number of studies were done, including QOLIE 89, Beck Depression Inventory, and Beck Anxiety Inventory, and the results were analyzed.

~The investigators found that the groups with excellent and good seizure control showed a positive effect on their overall quality of life compared to those with fair and poor seizure control.
~The depression and anxiety inventory scores were both highly and negatively associated with overall quality of life.
~Increases in depression and anxiety scores were associated with decreased overall quality of life scores.
~The authors concluded that depression anxiety is strongly and independently associated with worse quality of life after epilepsy surgery. Even after partial seizure control, controlling for depression and anxiety levels improved quality of life. *The management of mood and anxiety is a critical component to post-surgery care.

For me, the depression set in just 3 months after the brain surgery. I thought I was going nuts. I didn't start having seizures until 14 MONTHS after surgery. I don't feel mine was anxiety induced depression, but hormonal induced, due to the brain surgery. It made me go thru an early menopause and all kinds of endocrine problems. Don't know why they don't address those issues.

I do get a kick out of how some things are interpreted.

From how the abstract of the study describes things, it is just as possible that mood, anxiety & quality of life are determined by how well ones seizures are controlled rather than the other way around which I don't think is anything new.

Results: The groups with excellent and good seizure control showed a significant positive effect on the overall QOL compared to the groups with fair and poor seizure control. The BDI and BAI scores were both highly and negatively associated with overall QOL; increases in BDI and BAI scores were associated with decreased overall QOL score

I do get a kick out of how some things are interpreted.

From how the abstract of the study describes things, it is just as possible that mood, anxiety & quality of life are determined by how well ones seizures are controlled rather than the other way around which I don't think is anything new.

:ponder: Whether seizures are well controlled or not, folks who witness seizures too experience anxiety.

:ponder: Whether seizures are well controlled or not, folks who witness seizures too experience anxiety.

I agree but I don't see what that has to do with a study on the moods & well being of people with epilepsy.

I agree but I don't see what that has to do with a study on the moods & well being of people with epilepsy.

I'm just saying that my seizures had a huge effect on my kids' anxiety, therefore it effected me by me feeling extremely guilty for not being the "mother" every one else was.

From the epilepsy.com website, treating the moods/anxiety that go along with epilepsy are just as important as treatment as seizures, especially what happens to those who experience it after brain surgery.

don't quite get the comment, as this article is strictly about what goes with brain surgery, doesn't involve comments or findings 'simply' about epilepsy. i posted a thread in regards to this earlier today, not noticing you already had, sorry.

is it that i don't get what either of you are getting at, or that you guys don't get each other?

-this article isn't about 'people with epilepsy'... it's 'people with epilepsy that have had brain surgery.'

-this article has nothing to do with others who have seen/lived with our seizures/epilepsy.

cint try not to take it personally about the endocrine etc., if they were going to delve into the causes of said depression/anxiety the list would be miles long. aka it can be a physical reaction to surg especially dependant on what part(s) one had removed, as it can also be a mental and/or emotional reaction, which sub-set to that is the fact that others around us induce depression/anxiety, it doesn't ALWAYS revolve around us changing.

what they're getting at (and hey eric it sounds like you're mocking this a bit) is the 'general' view. it simply states the fact that "Mood and Anxiety are as Important in the Treatment of Epilepsy Surgery - as the Surgery Itself"... meaning, as i said in my thread, if mood/anxiety/depression are going to get bad or get worse it sets one's brain surgery on the 'was this really worth it?' scale.

don't quite get the comment, as this article is strictly about what goes with brain surgery, doesn't involve comments or findings 'simply' about epilepsy. i posted a thread in regards to this earlier today, not noticing you already had, sorry.

I don't quite get what you don't get.:ponder: I didn't say that the article is 'strictly' about epilepsy. It says "Treating Moods/anxiety that go along with epilepsy are just as important as treating the seizures, especially to those who experience it after brain surgery."

What I'm saying is that moods DO accompany seizure disorders, especially AFTER BRAIN SURGERY!!

Plus, when I had my brain surgery more than 20 years ago, they didn't know back then what they DO know now. My docs did NOT understand that MOODS and SEIZURES do co-exist. Back then, they didn't realize how much brain surgery effects one's moods. I was seeing a well-known neuropsychiatrist 3 months after my brain surgery and it wasn't until several years later that they finally realized that brain surgery does effect ones moods. And that was in the '90s- The Decade of the Brain.

Back
Top Bottom