MSG: Dangerous or Deadly?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have passed out twice. And been a trip to the hospital until I figured out no more Chinese food with msg

I am so allergic to MSG. It will trigger a reaction within minutes of eating just one bite. It took me years to figure this out. I was talking to my nutritionist about my migraines and asthma triggers. She brought up MSG. I knew it was a nasty chemical but I was thrown by how many things it is added to. Disgusting stuff

sodium has proven to interact poorly with my meds.

The Ketogenic Diet and Brain Metabolism of Amino Acids: Relationship to the Anticonvu

In many epileptic patients, anticonvulsant drugs either fail adequately to control seizures or they cause serious side effects. An important adjunct to pharmacologic therapy is the ketogenic diet, which often improves seizure control, even in patients who respond poorly to medications. The mechanisms that explain the therapeutic effect are incompletely understood. Evidence points to an effect on brain handling of amino acids, especially glutamic acid, the major excitatory neurotransmitter of the central nervous system. The diet may limit the availability of oxaloacetate to the aspartate aminotransferase reaction, an important route of brain glutamate handling. As a result, more glutamate becomes accessible to the glutamate decarboxylase reaction to yield gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), the major inhibitory neurotransmitter and an important antiseizure agent. In addition, the ketogenic diet appears to favor the synthesis of glutamine, an essential precursor to GABA. This occurs both because ketone body carbon is metabolized to glutamine and because in ketosis there is increased consumption of acetate, which astrocytes in the brain quickly convert to glutamine. The ketogenic diet also may facilitate mechanisms by which the brain exports to blood compounds such as glutamine and alanine, in the process favoring the removal of glutamate carbon and nitrogen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4237068/

Both aspartate aminotransferase and glutamate decarboxylase are B6 dependent enzymes (see the above quoted paragraph)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jimd.12060

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Also please see my post at the following URL:

https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.co...eneral-epilepsy-experiences-23950/index6.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom