My 29 yrs old brother died 1-5 from grand mal seizure- I have questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi car,

Were you diagnosed with a V-EEG test to see if you have epilepsy? That is a video EEG and is more accurate than an EEG. Do you see a neurologist? What medicines do you take?

You may have had more seizures that you do not remember, possible? Were there other times when you had that strange feeling (aura) in your head and do not remember anything after that?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. They must of been awful for you. I am interested in your experiences, since they are so different from mine. I hope you do not think that I am trying to give you a hard time. That is not my purpose.

I was diagnosed with an EEG. I don't think you are giving me a hard time. Tell me what you want to know.

I'm sorry for you lose

Hey Dawn,

My name is Hannah I just joined today i have epilepsy i've had it ever since i was 5yrs old and they are grand mal seizures and every time i wake up i'm confused our i don't know half of the people i love i bite my tongue sometimes when i have one and i am in lost of pain when i wake up so if you have any more info you will like to know you are more then welcome to ask me once again i'm sorry for you lose :e:

Hi car,

Were you diagnosed with a V-EEG test to see if you have epilepsy? That is a video EEG and is more accurate than an EEG. Do you see a neurologist? What medicines do you take?

You may have had more seizures that you do not remember, possible? Were there other times when you had that strange feeling (aura) in your head and do not remember anything after that?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. They must of been awful for you. I am interested in your experiences, since they are so different from mine. I hope you do not think that I am trying to give you a hard time. That is not my purpose.

I forgot to mention, I am on Carbotrol.

Hi I am so sorry for your loss and the loss of someone suffering from epilepsy for the whole group. I can say from my experience that I feel no pain nor have any memory of my seizures. The worst thing I feel is a headache afterwards and whatever bruising or scratches I receive from the fall. Again dawn I am so so sorry.

Hi Dawn,
I guess I am probably repeating what others are saying, but in answer to your questions.
No, when I have had a fit I have not known about it or felt any pain.
Though like many I have awoken from it with bumps and bruises and a sore tongue.

My first Grand Mal resulted in my body needing to be resuscitated.
I was blessed in that there was a nurse in the house when it happened and when my family realised I wasn’t breathing she started CPR until the medics arrived.

I have cared for others who have had fits.
Its frightening to watch, and it uses up a lot of energy.
If it goes on too long the strain can cause the heart to stop beating in a regular rhythm, and unless you can get a defibrillator to them then the person will die.
The electrical activity that is taking place within the brain is tremendous at this time, so much so that I wonder whether that switches off if its too great.

One thing I do feel very sure about and that is that your Brother would not have felt any pain or been aware what was taking place.

Nick its Ok to ‘Take over’ a post if it helps, I am sure Dawn doesn’t mind, and your words may help answer some of her questions. So don’t apologise, you’ve done nothing wrong..

Going back to my comment on the electrical activity that is taking place within the brain during a fit. Here in the UK we still use a treatment in Psychiatric Hospitals called Electro Convulsive Therapy. (Mainly used to treat severe depression that isn’t responding to medication).
Electrodes are placed on the patients head and an electrical charge is passed across the frontal lobes of their brain causing them to have a fit.
It is done under anaesthetic and the patient is unconscious throughout the procedure.
However it is electricity that is used to start the fit.
With this in mind you can see how much stress is put on the brain during a fit.

Going back to my comment on the electrical activity that is taking place within the brain during a fit. Here in the UK we still use a treatment in Psychiatric Hospitals called Electro Convulsive Therapy. (Mainly used to treat severe depression that isn’t responding to medication).
Electrodes are placed on the patients head and an electrical charge is passed across the frontal lobes of their brain causing them to have a fit.
It is done under anaesthetic and the patient is unconscious throughout the procedure.
However it is electricity that is used to start the fit.
With this in mind you can see how much stress is put on the brain during a fit.

ECT should be banned!!! It wipes the memories from whomever is subjected to it! I have never had it. But, I definitely heard of what can happen!!!!

My (ex)fiance had it to control her Bipolar Disorder(considering her behavior before and during our relationship, she should have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, instead). I didn't know her at the time, that she was subjected to it.

So sorry for loss.

My grandmal attack with little warning, an overpowering smell, then after coming to I can barely see, only shapes and slowly I come alive but am super fatigued.
It occurred to me if alone, I may not even remember it.

Just wanted to point out that this thread was started just over 7 years ago.

Dear Dawn , I have never had a Grand Mal , so please forgive me for not having info on this . I am sorry for the loss of your Brother . You can usually tell when one is going to happen , and I couldn't remember much when they did happen and I was usually wiped out (weak) for a while after seizures .

My daughter went to a school all kids had e.the school had fully up to date intensive care unit about 5 beds some kids had grand mall going on for hours daily.nobody died they in right place right time.
I have heard about people dying in fact story in local paper this happening to local woman.
I know it hard but you may never know why and drive you nuts trying you got feature yourself now maybe some meditation something that going help you relax.
Easy said I know .I believe wheel of life I feel so sorry for your loss but it was your brothers time and his death a little more will be learnt hopefully soon an answer be found

Back
Top Bottom