[GARD/GFCF] My experience with The G.A.R.D. diet so far.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
1. What types of seizures (and how frequent) were you experiencing
before starting the alternative treatment?

Mesial Complex Partial Seizures:

I have at least one or two a week during the day. But I have an unknown amount
while asleep.

2. What AEDs (medications) had you tried prior to the alternative
treatment?

Phenobarbital
Tegretol
Neurontin
Dilantin
Keppra
Lamictal
Depakote
Topamax
Zonegran
Trileptal
Lyrica

3. How long did you try the alternative treatment?

I've been trying the G.A.R.D. diet for about a month so far.

4. If the treatment requires active participation, how diligent were
you in applying it?

I'm trying as hard as possible to stick to the diet plan. A couple times
I may have slightly strayed, but nothing extreme.

5. What changes (improvements or otherwise) occured with your seizure
control with the alternative treatment?

So far I haven't noticed much change in my seizure control. But
I do notice my overall feeling to be somewhat improved.

6. What (if any) adverse effects/events did you experience with the
alternative treatment?

The only bad effects I have experienced with the G.A.R.D. diet is the
introduction phase. AKA: The body cleaning itself out.

7. How much did it cost you to implement the alternative treatment?

Let's just say take my average grocery bill for the month about $150-200, and
add an extra $50. Once I get the grocery list refined better, the shopping
bill should go back down.

Well overall I think the G.A.R.D. diet is worth a try. It can't really hurt, only help. I'll give it a go for a year (possibly).

My update on G.A.R.D.

1. What types of seizures (and how frequent) were you experiencing
before starting the alternative treatment?

Mesial Complex Partial Seizures:

I still have at least 1 or 2 seizures a week. But the night seizures I've had before seem to have stopped. These are the ones that would wake me up in a cold sweat shaking. I
don't know if I'm having any other seizures at night. I would need a new video EEG session to find out.

2. What anti-epileptic drugs (medications) had you tried prior to the alternative
treatment?

I'm currently only taking: Trileptal

3. How long did you try the alternative treatment?

I've been trying the G.A.R.D. diet for at least six months so far.

4. If the treatment requires active participation, how diligent were
you in applying it?

I'm sticking to the diet plan the best I can. If I stray it's only for things I know don't bother my system. My current financial situation makes it impossible to follow the diet to the letter. So I follow the diet as closely as I can.

5. What changes (improvements or otherwise) occured with your seizure control with the alternative treatment?

I'm still having my regular seizures during the day. They haven't changed in either way. But the bad night seizures I've had before seem to have stopped.

6. What (if any) adverse effects/events did you experience with the alternative treatment?

Just the body cleaning itself out. After you're body is used to the change in your diet, you're good to go.

7. How much did it cost you to implement the alternative treatment?

The cost is still about the same since I started. But as I try new food alternatives, it will go down. I just need to locate the alternative food items that are affordable and taste good.

Overall I still think the G.A.R.D. diet is still helping my body.

It can only get better. I'll stay with it for at least year. If the benefits keep coming I will stay with it longer.

The G.A.R.D. diet is also beneficial to my digestion problems. With the help of the G.A.R.D. my stomach pains have decreased. I also take medication to aid in that as well. One medication I take (15-30 minutes) prior to eating. That medication is to relax the stomach when I eat. This will allow the food to be digested properly. The second medication is taken after a loose stool. No more than 3 pills a day. It works like Imodium AD, but much stronger. Both of these medications work well, but are very strong. So I regulate how I take them. IE:

On Sun, Mon, Tues, I will take both as needed. But Weds I'd only take the second medication when needed. Thurs, Friday & Sat I would take them both.

It may seem that I shouldn't be taking them like this, but my body tells me otherwise. I've already had my Gall Bladder removed because of a long battle from AED side effects. I don't need anymore problems like that. I discovered when I first was prescribed these medications how my body reacted to them after a few days. That's when I found that my on/off method seemed to help me feel a lot better. Hopefully I'll be able to be completely on the G.A.R.D. diet so I can eliminate all these medications in the future.

Thanks for the update BigMan! Hopefully, the diet will continue to pay dividends.

Back
Top Bottom