My history...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've had epilepsy since I was 6mo. old & my parents never told me until I was 29. @ that time my dad told me I fell on my face in the mall when I was a child. When I 6mo. old I was diagnosed w/ spinal meningitis & needed 2 have water removed from the brain B4 I died. I've had a 75lb. tree branch fall on my head @ 15 & needed 118 stitches. Not really sure which incident is causing this but Not 1 med out there has worked yet. I exercise, eat right & still continue 2 suffer. Even thought of suicide many times. I lost my mom in 06 from lung cancer & dad was very abusive 2 the family & I think that has alot 2 do w/ it. Rob.

Hi smitty,

Welcome to CWE! Everyone here has been a great help to me and I've had epilepsy for 45 yrs. but I still am learning something new all the time. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!
Sue

Welcome to CWE Smitty! Make yourself at home.

Epilepsy is one of those mystery disorders -- majority of folks never know the exact cause, which adds to all the other frustrations e brings... I hope you can a find a med/treatment that helps control your seizures. Feel free to vent here -- it sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

Cheers,
Nak

Welcome Smitty !!!
You are in the right place to learn some valuable things about epilepsy. I think you will find some answers and ideas here. Do you have a physician treating you? Feelings of suicide can be treated with medication and or a counselor. I felt like that over the years, too. I finally found the right anti depressant and counseling and changed some things in my life. Was able to get on disability after 3 years of trying and work a few hours a week. It must be so difficult to deal with being betrayed by your family and not knowing about the possible causes of seizures. I found an epileptologist in Chicago and that has helped me with meds. Have you tried many? I am on two carbatrol and Depakote and have a vagal nerve stimulator. I hope this finds you feeling better about your situation. Never give up hope!! Jeanne

Hi Smitty. I know what you mean about meds not working. I've been on all of the AEDs used for the types of seizures I get (simple & complex partials). Sometimes, I would stop having seizures for up to 6 months when I begin a new AED. Then they'd start again, 1-6/month. Other times, I was allergic to the medicine.

Back
Top Bottom