[Research] nasal sprays etc. med. , and can Ships be a triggers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Faith

New
Reaction score
Hello all , more than a week now ago , my boyfriend had his last , nocturnal grandmal seizure , in the cabin on the Ship (we were coming back from vacation) . He didn't have any for almost an year now , so it was unexpected . It was awful to find out , that there was no doctor on that ship , nor a nurse .. or any medications .. I was very frightened and wanted some suport , but they told me that , if i insist the only think they can do , is to tirn back the ship , to an emergensy port !:clap: Thankfully , the seizure was short enough , that it came not to this .. So , after this experience , i made some research and came across "nasal sprays" and "diazepam" . We travel a lot , and i really will be reassured if i have some medicine , in case that it happens again and its longer than 5min . What do you think ? Anybody used such medications for stopping the prolonged seizures ? Also, does anyone knows or heard , if a Ship can be a trigger , because we have been told from the Ship crew , that it happens quite often . Thank you :)

Last edited:
I don't think are any nasal sprays on the market yet -- but you should ask your boyfriend's neurologist about the possibility, just on case. In the meantime, there's rectal diazepam (I know, not ideal), as well as just the plain old pills. My neurologist has given me a prescription for Ativan as back-up, in case I have a seizure while traveling when I'm nowhere near a hospital.

Anything that causes physical, physiological, or emotional stress can potentially be a seizure trigger depending on an individual's threshold. So in your boyfriend's case, if he's affected by motion sickness it could have played a role. Other things might have factored in too -- fatigue, photosensitivity, food sensitivity, etc.

Back
Top Bottom