• dilantin

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • topamax

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • tegretol

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My dad does that, lureswinger. He's diabetic, and is on medication for that and all sorts of other related things. I think he has about 10 or 11 to take and he just chucks them all back.

Makes ME feel like choking just looking at him lol. Mine go down one at a time :p

I take Keppra XR which are bigger than regular Keppra, and then I take Lamictal. I used to add Tegretol XR but now off of it yay.
Lamictal is horrible! You're not supposed to take any med with soda- but I tend to do it with OJ or maybe coffee which isn't wise either- bad me LOL
So I have it with water and do it as fast as I can. I've been taking pills for a while and my heart meds Propranolol take more bitter than Lamictal but it won't leave a powder in your mouth like Lamcital does for me. Now if you leave it there- you will be cringing due to its bitterness but Lamictal beats it!
When I first took it, I chocked on it trying to get it down. Its the generic and its still horrible. I will be asking for XR of it too when I go back.

You can desolve it in water which only takes a min or less. But most people try to get it down fast.
Oh, when I first took it, the lemonaid I had didn't even help it. So I ate a peice of fudge which helped but after a little bit.
I've never heard of Keppra burning at all- that you might talk to your doctor about. It could be nothing or maybe a sign of your body not likeing it?

Take care,
Crystal

Lamictal combined with Diamox, because it makes me barf all day and all night. Vomit tastes really bad, especially with the bitter pills mixed in and that film it deposits on your teeth. You know, the one that brushing doesn't even remove. I can't get the taste out of my mouth and throwing up is horrid. The thought of it makes me want to throw up yet again. An extra hurl. How lovely. And I can't keep any of my meds down as a result. Ooof.

For the price of Lamictal, you'd think they could afford a measly sugar coating. Sheesh.

i totally agree with that and the smaller ones are the worst as i can usually throw any tab down my neck no hassle but the 25mg lamotagenes touch the wet lining of you throat and stick and begin to dissolve

Yeah, I used to take the brand name Lamictal, and it was shaped weird, flat, and rough. So it would get stuck a lot and taste super gross. Now I take the generic and it's shaped like a normal pill and goes down easy and I can't even taste it. I take generic Keppra, and those are really long and kinda pointy, so they sometimes get stuck in my throat sideways. yeck.

Tegretol!! The second it hits any kind of liquid (spit included) it starts absolving. Bleh!!!!

When I was on dilantin, back in the day, I don't remember issues...

That bloody cloneazapam has to be the worst I've come across an I've spent donkeys years just chuckin em down my neck with no drink to follow but cloneazapam is like trying to swallow a bag of flour without the bag lol

While I don't have an issue in general with swallowing pills, I always hated taking Dilantin. Because it was in triangular form.

With my meds(Carbatrol), I just drop the capsules(2) down my throat a eat something.

Yep, Lamictal is HORRIBLE. It tastes like death. The generic is MUCH better as far as this goes. I even break mine and take it twice a day. Usually the broken edge gets all dissolved and tastes bad, but I must be quick or something. It' never been an issue.

I put nasty tasting pills inside empty capsules. You can buy empty capsules at a compounding pharmacy or from Amazon. In an emergency you can open a vitamin pill, empty out the contents and put the pill(s) inside. No bad taste.

My genertic Lamictial are 25mg pills and they are very small. I don't have any problem with them. The only pills that give me problems are steroids. I always put them in empty capsules.

If the pill is small enough you can put it inside of an empty capsule . You don't need to crush the pill, just put it in the capsule. I do it it anytime I need to take prednsoin.

I tend to just chuck back the pills, have no problem taking them, comes in handy with all the AED's :S especially the larger keppra and epilim ones.

Its interesting you say that the lamictal is gross. I don't know if its just the lamictal we get over here but its the dissolvable ones and they taste like berries, don't get me wrong I hate the chalky feeling if it does get stuck in my mouth but the taste is fine.

I would say hands down the tegretol is the grossest I have taken on that list, but clobazam would be the worst one I have taken, tastes like codiene pills.

The berry flavour are the youngster's version- my GP's puter system can somehow not prescribe less than the 50mg 'adult' hard version :(

It's such a hard choice lol they're all crap.

I think I'll go with Tegretol XR, but the Keppra is disgusting as well.

Weird, mine (the berry ones) are 100mg tablets

Theres just something about the coating on the XR tegretol which make them not only taste horrible but feel weird and jellyish

Last edited:
There're quite a few variants of lamictal- for youngsters, as well as mono or poly therapy.

Are the tegretol the orange ones? They're foul lol

I think most XR variants are designed to taste foul so you don't cut them..

I think thats all we get over here unless you go generic.

Yup the tegretol are the orange ones, there must be something in the pill itself to make it extended release because they have the split line in them and my neuro had me on whole and half pills while I was going off it

Back
Top Bottom