• dilantin

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • topamax

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • tegretol

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

morgan86

New
Reaction score
i hope this works lol
so earlier i stood infront of the bathroom sink with my meds, glass of water, soda chaser, and toothbrush and mouth wash and started to wonder if theres an easier way to go about this. swallowing the pills i mean. seems like u just cant win with antiepileptics. they all taste like crap or are the size of horse tranquilizers. mine specifically (lamictal) gets stuck to my tongue.so when it DOES go down i have this disgusting taste left over from the pill residue. thats where the soda chaser comes in handy. then the mouth wash and toothpaste to finish the job up.. quite possibly the only thing i miss about dialantin is that it was a capsule. but even than i had some issue. this sounds crazy but it was either tegretol or keppra used to leave a burning sensation in the back of my throat. and lamictal is so nasty that i have swallowed then vomited before. so now im wondering, after i typed all that crap haha:
who else out there has crazy issues with their pills?..
and which would u say is the WORST to swallow?
and have u got any ideas or tricks u use to get it over with?
your thoughts on the subject please..

I guess

I'm weird--I don't have issues with any of them. I have this habit of filling my mouth totally full of water, and dropping the meds in, THEN swallowing......that way, I don't taste anything....

I have the same experience as Meetz, I never taste the pills because I just wash them down with a ton of water. And I take four little pills at a time because mine are in 25mg increments.

Dilantin is awful if it does get outside of the capsule. It has only happened to me a couple of times, but the taste is very 'chemical'. I guess that is the best way to desrcibe it.

The capsules themselves cause me problems. As soon as they get wet they get sticky. Even if a little of the coating gets stuck to my throat it feels awful. I am on Phenytek now which is a form of dilantin. Its capsule isn't as bad, but can still get sticky.

My lamictal doesn't give me too much of a problem. They are powdery and don't taste good, but go down easy for me. I take a 200 mg generic tablet. What size do you take Morgan? If you are on a generic, maybe there is another generic that isn't as bad.

Yeah I take my lamictal with a lot of water so I usually don't notice the taste. But I do remember tegretol tasted absolutely awful...

You should be careful not to taste your pills, especially if they're XR or CR.

why shouldnt u taste ur pills if they're xr or cr ? im just curious. i tried the filling my mouth with water then dropping the pills in. same effect as putting the pills in first lol. i dunno why. i used to chew tylenol cuz i couldnt swallow it

I've just recently changed from generic Lamotrigene to the brand name Lamictal, and the 100mg tablets are way bigger than the generic ones were! They always get stuck on the back of my tongue no matter what i've tried.

I've never tasted anything so awful. I don't have much of a problem with the 50mg and the 25mg ones though. Hopefully i'll get used to swallowing slightly bigger tablets. (And i'd better, cos i really want to give the brand name a go, since the generics probably made things worse!)

Ethymal (the liquid sirup as well as the soft capsule) for my son. He used to throw up from those meds, they were hell to get them in and to keep them in.

My Grandmother had a hard time swallowing pills. We used to put them in applesauce.

I can take almost every pill without a problem except one. Potassium Chloride. It's HUGE! Here is a picture of one next to an Aleve.

76cbdec16dde__1259534728000.jpg

When the hospital doses me, they bring the pill cut in half, but at home I eat that one alone with lots of water, it melts very quick and NASTY too.

Might I suggest making Jell-O shots, and then placing the pill in the shot before consumption, works for me… every time.

- Prof. M

i have had the worst experience in the past with my limictal getting stuck in the back of my mouth and god that taste that is there. it has made me vomit once and i learned never to drink soda with it either it dissolves in your mouth and man the taste that is there. it seems to last for ever.

Last edited:
yea definitely no soda lol. usually thick things like milkshakes make it easiest for me i think. anything that coats my tongue. the worst liquid to use for me is trying to swallow it w/ cranberry juice.. YUCK! i dunno why but that plus my lamictal always makes me gag.

Hi All!

I have only taking 3 different types of AEDs. The worst tasting one in my opinion is dilantin (or epanutin as it is known over here in the UK). Once the capsule has dissolved - the powder of it comes and it very vile. Uck!!! Uck!!! Uck!!! Urgh!!! Urgh!!! Urgh!!!

Susan

Miss Choccy

i tend to find i can cup all my tablets in one hand open my mouth an just chuck em all down in one without tasting (often makes my wife feel sick watching cos she cant do the same lol)

Back
Top Bottom