Near Death Experiences?

Have you ever had a near death experience?

• Yes

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I dont believe in Near Death Experiences

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I dont know

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you had near death experiences? I'm talking dying and beig resucitated but while you were considered dead, you remember seeing other dead people or seeing yourself being resucitated.

Or if you have ever nearly died had it not been for a small descision just prior to what would have killed you. (ie: slowing down at a green light for soem reason, just as another car runs the red and you would have been hit had you not slowed)

Just curious to see how often this happens.

I voted no, luckily i've never been in that situation.

The subject does really interest me though :ponder:

I have actually, physically been "near death" but did not have any spiritual experience. Interestingly though, I did literally see my life flash before me, as if in review. I have also worked as a hospice nurse and have been with many patients during their last moments. Of the rare few that actually spoke immediately before death, none ever mentioned bright lights or angels or anything of that sort. But quite a few did see family members in the room who had long since passed.

I've had a

couple of close calls in car accidents--one due to black ice, the other due to brake failure. No one knows exactly how I walked away. :S

I don't remember much.

Regarding seizures--I don't remember anything before, during or after my t/c's. So I don't know if my life flashes before my eyes or not. However, I DO know that I've had a couple of close calls from my t/c's, according to some witnesses.

When I was six years of age I was hit by a drunk driver crossing the road in front of my house. It was dusk and I was crossing the road with my sister the driver ran completely over me. My head hit the front of his bumper than the asphalt. While lying in the road the drunk driver backed over me again and again completely over me again as he sped down the road. I was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. I ended up in a comma for 11 days after being transferred between two different hospitals. I can tell you this, I am thankfully for my mother for not giving up on me. Breathing tubes, monitors, pins, screws and I don't remember any of it nor did I see any white lights. I can tell you I do remember the full body cast I was in that occupied for 9 months of my life and that hospital bed. So, yeah I can say I qualify for the near death experience.

Last edited:
wow twc it's awful what you had to go though..

I had a scary moment once though. I was walking to work and was waiting at a red light to cross the street. As soon as it turned green, I had a strange feeling telling me to wait, so I did for a few moments. I started walking and a car blew the red light and passed only inches in front of me. Almost ran over my toes.. so if that feeling or whatever it was didn't come to me I likely wouldn't be here right now.

oh, I am in tears. thanks for sharing and how awesome your here with us!

I have few close calls with 18 wheelers. I also drank paint thinner when I was three and spent weeks in a bubble or something in the hospital. Was at my dads for the summer, and the worst part is no one notified my mother! She was not told until quite sometime afterwords and I believe it was by accident. My brothers were always playing mean pranks on me and I often wonder if they were involved with me drinking the paint thinner. How else does a 3 year old get a hold of paint thinner? I have no idea why they were so mean to me, physically and mentally but it has had repercussions to this day. I am interested in hearing any thoughts of parents about how not being told your child almost died and was in hospital for weeks.

Last edited:
Chrystalblue, Yes. Call me crazy, but yes.

I nursed my father at home when he was dying of cancer. He saw his deceased favorite aunt there in the room with us, many times. He also said he was looking down a long hallway with a bright light at the end. He saw these things on and off in the two or so days before his death. It could have been the heavy pain meds, but I don't think so. When my father died I could feel his soul physically pass through me. I didn't have to check his pulse. I knew he was gone, and could feel his joy as he flew to a better place. I could feel him saying to me, "I understand it now."

I wouldnt be here if my great-great grandma wouldnt have gone into labour a day before she was to board the titanic. almost a month early too!

Not really. would have been so much cooler had she actually made it on and survived. The titanic exhibit is coming to winnipeg in a couple of weeks so I get to go see if her name still made it onto the passengar list or not.

I voted yes. I went into status 7 years ago in my ex- husbands car. I don't know if an ambulance came or if we went to the nearest hospital, I think we were at the gas station.Anyway, the last thing I remember was seeing a bright light in the ambulance. And them bringing me back to life with electrodes. I guess I was in status for 45 minutes on the way to Haborveiw epilepsy clinic. I had an infection of cancer cells in my brain and I had had a stroke. I was in an induced coma for 5 days. I heard comforting voices around me. And I saw a bright light and felt pure love around me. My little boys voice brougt me back. Now I appreciate the little things and every birthday that is given to me.I was interviewed by the University of Washington on my experience. It was awsome.

I've never had one (and don't want to, to be honest), but I find the subject absolutely fascinating.

I understand you not wanting to go thru that, occb. I am blessed I came back. But I don't ever want to go thru it again. And I to find other peoples stories fascinating.

My cousin has had 4 or 5 near-death experiences. He thinks one of them may be responsible for his early-onset Parkinson's. :(

I'm not sure whether they were "near-death" or not, but I think they were. They were only since I've started having seizures, and responses will determine how I vote above *grin*

As I've fallen asleep, I've had two thoughts: firstly, that my mind has been quite clear of thought (unusual), and secondly, that I am "going into the black". At that point, I can see myself being enveloped in darkness. Sometime later (I don't know how long) I wake gasping, with my arms thrown out before me, like a mummy (the kind in a museum or scary movie).

The first two such experiences prompted my sleep test (can't think - what are they called? Sorry, brain not working here), and the third was last week when my nocturnal seizures returned. At the time of the sleep test, my E was undiagnosed and I was suspected of sleep apnea (I was sp seizing almost around the clock).

I wrote a short story about the "into the black" experience, as I do think it was a near-death experience. What do you think?

I once had an old pickup truck that wouldn't start, so we called AAA for a tow truck to come pick it up. This was about 10:00 or 11:00 at night, I don't really remember. Anyway, we just finished loading the pick-up onto the tow truck in the right lane of a 4 lane rd. (2 each direction), and I was standing by the driver side door giving the tow driver directions to my house. I heard my friends start shouting, and looked up to see headlights. All I had time to do was turn away from the car. It swerved as it hit the bed of my pick up, ripping the side off, and almost wrapped it around me. It then hit the front of the tow truck, stopped, the driver got out of his car and looked, got back in, and drove off. I think that might be a near death experience, in a way. If the car (a pathfinder) had not snagged the bed of my truck, it would have plowed right into me. When I turned back around, I was actually surounded by the side of my truck.

My cousin has had 4 or 5 near-death experiences. He thinks one of them may be responsible for his early-onset Parkinson's. :(

I've read that emotional trauma can facilitate the development of degenerative neurological disorders, so he may very well be right about that.

I've read that emotional trauma can facilitate the development of degenerative neurological disorders, so he may very well be right about that.

This is my neurologist's take, too. In my case, that would be ptsd, although I haven't gone into that much detail with her. She "threw it out there" as a possible cause for why someone so young might have the level of tl atrophy I do.

Chel

Back
Top Bottom