Near Death Experiences?

Have you ever had a near death experience?

• Yes

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I dont believe in Near Death Experiences

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I dont know

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This is my neurologist's take, too. In my case, that would be ptsd, although I haven't gone into that much detail with her. She "threw it out there" as a possible cause for why someone so young might have the level of tl atrophy I do.

Chel

PTSD has been thought to cause hippocampal atrophy, which is part of the medial temporal lobe.

never had one myself , and i guess im neutral on this topic , im not sure this really happens , but i never count anything like this as unbelievable either

Well it wasn't epilepsy related but we used to make each of us pass out (don't ask why :p) when we were 9 grade.

What i remember is seeing white light and alot of pictures running at full speed like a running roller of film and than i suddenly woke up right in the middle when i was being laid on the floor.Usually my friends would lay for at least a minute and we would slap them slightly to wake them up.Everyone were suprised after waking up not knowing where they are.There was one unfortanate case in school where they did this to some kid at school and he started to seize at least by the description of jerking and foam of saliva....

Anyway altough i know now how dangerous it was the fealing was amazing.I felt a moment of relief when seeing that light.I don't know if its related to the religous aspects since once my cousin told me that i should stop doing that and that the white light i saw was a chemical your brain realeses just before you die to make a pleasant death.Don't know if its through or not and din't find any info on that prespective but its possible i guess since the brain is really amazing mechanism.

It has changed my life forever. I went into status epilepticus because as we later found out I had cancer cells in my brain. I died and they brought me back and then induced me in to a coma for 5 days. I will say that at first everything I ever lived flashed in front of me. Then came the white light of total peace. I could hear people talking. Later I found out my son was in there saying wake up mommy wake up. I don't think I would of come back if werent for him.You can here people talking to you. And the peace was perfection beyond belief along with the feeling of love. Pure love. I hope that is where I go to the next time I die. It has made me calmer, more accepting of others and less judgemental.That was a long time ago but seems like yesterday.

far too many to mention! I'd rather dwell on life- it's so precious!
Nick
xx

stilldancing
What happened to me happened at home when I was with my husband.
The only reason I know it happened is because I had 24hr halter monitor on for a EKG.
It happened while I was a sleep. I stopped breathing and when I turned it into my cardiologist I found out happened several times and I ended up getting a pacemakera few times.
I've heard my cardiologist tell this story quite a few times.
Belinda

There is know way to see how precious life is then to leave it and have the chance to do it again. Or to have somebody you love so much leave and know how precious life is.
Belinda, do you still have the pacemaker?

Yes I still have the pacemaker and will always have one.

I have A fib irregular heart beat( dangerous for me not for most ppl who have it.)

Belinda

yes I've had a couple... last one a year ago.

I was battling cluster seizures in a psychiatric ward where they had no clue - I was put to sleep with sleep meds and anti psychotics - and all of a sudden I was standing with my bare feet in a beautiful shining river.

It was glittering in the most beautiful colors, and it was a little foggy. Suddenly two men came towards me (in a hurry), they were dressed in red garments. I asked if they were angels - they answered: "Sort of" :) I had a feelng they were some sort of gatekeepers. No wonder they were in a hurry to send me back!

Then they sent me back.... thank God I got medicated with benzo's then anti epileptic's afterwards.

I'm relatively new to seizures, and up until the 15th of july 2015, I found out that what people describe as their 'near-death-experiences', I describe as my seizures. Since my first one about; say, two years ago, the majority of my seizures have been 'near-death-experiences'. None of them as bad as my first one though.

I have a small list of links that have explained what is most likely going on but I just wanted to know if there were others like me.

I've had some very "trippy" experiences while in the hospital for major surgery but that is what morphine does to the brain.
I once had a talking dolphin in the shower stall of my bathroom.

"Just wondering how many of you had near death experiences? I'm talking dying and beig resucitated but while you were considered dead, you remember seeing other dead people or seeing yourself being resucitated. "

I'm not a religious person, but i do believe in a higher power, like Einstein said the more he learned about the wonders of the universe the more he realized that it just could not have all happened just by accident.

For me a religious moment is like being right there at deaths door. I think you are refering more to an out of body experience. Each time i have a seizure, i get that feeling being on deaths door, since one never knows whether or not it will be the last seizure. So far i've made it though all of them, but still the thought of death lingers until it's over. One time my seizure seemed to last for eternity it seemed, almost broke my neck from it. That was when i was on lamotrigine, had to get away from that drug as soon as possible.

Hey Aloha, I also had Morphine after my brain tumor removal and i slept like a rock. They asked me what the pain felt like, i told them an 8 out of 10 which wasn't true. I just wanted to sleep so badly, since i was thinking i was going to die due to the nurses removing the blood container that was connected to the top of my skull. Went through 3 pills before they were able to seal it up properly. I told them maybe more blood needed to come out, maybe she took it out to early, since right before her shift the previous nurse emptied the bottle. So the new nurse probably thought it was not needed. Well i demanded to talk to my surgeon and she straighten me out, but i was still leary. So i wanted to sleep and forget about the whole thing.

Zolt,

:piano: :pop:

I know that post surgical feeling of, "Just let me sleep. Pleeeeeese."

And not really caring if you ever wake up, just as long as they will stop sticking you with sharp objects and let you get some rest.

i believe in near death experiances. ive read a lot about it and ppl who have experianced it. would like to experiance it myself if the time ever comes.

......but that is what morphine does to the brain.
I once had a talking dolphin in the shower stall of my bathroom.

That is also what TLE can do to some folks, too. I've heard "evil voices" in my head as part of the aura right before I've gone into a T/C seizure. They were shouting at me, like satanic voices, but I could never really understand what was said. And the bath/shower is the one of the most dangerous places in the home for a person with E.

That was where I had my 1st near death experience from my very first T/C seizure. I suffered 1st degree burns over 25% of my body and if I had not been home from college that weekend, I could have drowned in the bathtub. The water was so hot that when I fell on my way out of the shower, I hit the hot water faucet and lay there long enough, or say, I was seizing while under the hot water, to suffer 1st degree burns.

I've had several episodes of "Status" and the family thought I was dying. Once, I hit a tree head on and totaled my car, but at least I survived. And no, I don't drive now. Another time, my daughter came home from college and witnessed me going into anther bad, bad seizure after my neurologist had changed my med. She thought I had broken my neck because of the way I fell against the wall. She almost called 911 because it lasted 3-5 minutes. But decided not to because she could see I was coming out of it. Still have bad neck problems to this day.

Yikes. That sounds scary. My doc has said that mine are probably frontal lobe since they are nocturnal.
I've had auditory hallucinations just as I go into a seizure though. Mine are always really loud insistent bells like old fashioned phones or alarm clocks.

It's funny, I haven't had those in quite a while. Years.

Back
Top Bottom