Need advise asap. My face is swollen really bad.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

speals

New
Reaction score
I had a really bad seizure on Thursday night. I thought I had just bit my cheek and that it would get better but it is only getting worse.
The left side of my face looks like a balloon now. I cant even open my mouth!! I am guessing it is infected but don't know.

Where should I go? Emergency room? Dentist?? I have no health insurance. Please advise. Thank you much.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Last edited:
Emergency room... thats where i would go... they cant turn you away even if you have no money...

they will send you a bill later though.... have you called your neuro? or doctor? at the emergancy rooms in oregon if you have no money sometimes they will give you the meds you need ... & add it to the bill

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't have a neuro anymore. I have not seen a neuro in almost 5 years when I had brain surgery which we thought had cured the epilepsy. Looks like I will need to see one.

Definitely get yourself seen!.....

Infection isn't something to mess with!

Good luck...sorry you're going through this.

I agree you really need to get going asap.... it can make you really sick if it moves into your blood stream.... so call someone.... Or whatever right away!

If you have a medical emergency, get to the ER ASAP.

:doctor:

Speals? are you still here? your little green light is still on........

I went to the ER and was diagnosed with "Cellulitis", an infection of the skin and tissue beneath it. The doc gave me an antibiotic and pain pills but he would not actually remove it. He says it still needs to come to a "head" before removing it. He also thinks it could go away on its own with the antibiotic so we shall see.

It is so painful and the only way I can eat is basically soup through a straw!!! I really hope it gets better soon. :soap:

Hope you are feeling some relief by tomorrow. Makes the better days... brighter.

Hopefully the antibiotic has started kicking in, and has started doing its job.........

You could take peroxide, a teaspoon at a time, and rinse the inside of your mouth out.....then rinse behind the peroxide with water.......about a cup or so. That should help, too.

000000591.gif

Welcome speals

You have celluitious in your cheek? That is NOTHING to mess around with. If you begin to run a fever, or the redness starts to spread, get to the ER STAT! You will need to be on IV antibiotics.

My husband has cellulitious flares about 3-4 times a year and he ends up in the hospital every time. The last one almost killed him because he went septic so quickly. His cellulitious is in his legs so it takes a bit longer to get active but with it in your face you'll need to keep a close eye on it.

Last edited:
:hello: Speals

And Birdy's right - GO TO THE ER!
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE INSURANCE!
HOSPITALS BY LAW ARE REQUIRED TO
ACCEPT PEOPLE - INSURANCE OR NOT!

This is an EMERGENCY!

My husband had cellulitis in his leg and was in the hospital for 2 weeks - it's nothing to mess around with! I'm glad you were seen.

Hi Robin,

I am doing much better. I ended up having to go back to ER the next day as the antibiotic they prescribed originally (Clindamycin) was only making it worse.

The Physician I saw the second time diagnosed me with an Abcess and put me on Augmentin (Amoxicillan) which started working immedietely. She knew what she was doing and informed me that it was localized which made me feel so much better. I am so glad I went back to the ER the second time because I almost didn't. I can now open my mouth almost all the way now and am able to eat normal foods again!!! :woot:

I have an appointment on the 26th to see an Ear, Nose & Throat Doc before I leave for my trip just to make sure all is well.

Thank you all for your concern and guidance.

Speals

YUCK!
Yea for normal foods. Sure glad that the antibiotic worked the second time. I wonder why the first one made it worse? Perhaps it just wasn't meant to kill that particular bug.
We need to get you wearing a mouth guard.

I have wanted to get Rebecca into braces, but I am so afraid of this exact thing if she has a seizure and rips up her mouth. I have almost decided to pay the extra amount for the removable variety.

And where are you travelling to? (you might have said but I have selective memories)
Every one is going somewhere....
I have to remind myself that I don't chose to travel over holidays.

I wonder why the first one made it worse? Perhaps it just wasn't meant to kill that particular bug.

I was apparently allergic to the Clindamycin. My neck and chest became very red and sensitive. It's the first time I have ever been allergic to any type of medication.

We need to get you wearing a mouth guard.
I think not!!! :p I need to get healthy mind and body. I have not been taking care of myself physically and mentally as I should the past year+. I need to quit drinking beer and smoking cigerettes. I need to get back to being athletic playing tennis, mountain biking, etc. I truly believe I had that seizure last week because of my overall poor health.

I have wanted to get Rebecca into braces, but I am so afraid of this exact thing if she has a seizure and rips up her mouth. I have almost decided to pay the extra amount for the removable variety.

How old is Rebecca? When did she start having seizures? The removable braces sound like the way to go. Easy for me to say though having gone through this experience.

And where are you travelling to?

I am going to Argentina with my Father. Will spend the New Year in Buenos Aires and then off to Patagonia (Trevelin Valley)to do some Fly Fishing. It's a trip of a lifetime so I am soo excited!!!!

I agree with you on the not traveling during the Holidays. I can't stand the hussle and bustle of holiday traveling. This just happens to be of the best times for the fishing down there.

Just kidding on the mouth guard. I do so believe in physical and mental health, though I am putting mine aside to figure out what is going on with Rebecca.

She is 16 and has been having seizures for 1.5 yrs. The summer before she started HS. She was so excited, and then BAM. Her life really took a nosedive.

I had many fishing trips with my father, but mostly just in the Sequoias here in CA. They are very fond memories. Your trip sounds heavenly. I can see why you would be so excited. Bring back a picture of the one that didn't get away. Really of you and your dad, let us see a tidbit of the fun.

Have a great Holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom