Need Some Opinions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sylvia

New
Reaction score
I had an EEG yesterday. It was a sleep deprived EEG. It wasn't until 2pm. By the time I got there, with no coffee and a lot less sleep I was so over tired.
I also have a broken ankle so am on crutches.
The question I have is even though I was definately sleep deprived, I couldn't go to sleep. I did the lights and the deep breathing. But no sleep. Does that mean it will not show the true results? My latest problem of waking up and not being able to talk seems to be sleep related. Also being over tired.
Thanks for your opinions
Blessings
Sylvia

Does that mean it will not show the true results?
While being asleep can be helpful for revealing certain brainwave patterns, it's not absolutely necessary. Everyone is different in terms of what it might take to produce a positive EEG. The kinds of seizures a person has are a big factor, as well as where they originate in the brain, and any particular triggers that play a role.

Were you wide awake and buzzing. Or weary? Even being slightly drowsy may do the trick for some people. And you never know -- you might actually have dosed off even for a tiny bit of the time. I was positive that I was awake the whole time during my very first EEG, but my neurologist said that the EEG revealed that I had nodded off very briefly. (And the EEG showed brainwave patterns associated with epilepsy throughout, not just when I slept).

Nakamova;224775 Were you wide awake and buzzing. Or weary? Even being slightly drowsy may do the trick for some people. And you never know -- you might actually have dosed off even for a tiny bit of the time. I was positive that I was awake the whole time during my very first EEG said:
I was so weary I hardly could function. When it was over they got me a wheelchair. They didn't think I could make it out of the hospital. In thinking about this, I realize that being over tired has always been a trigger. I also called my neurologist and they said many cant go to sleep and not to worry.
Thanks for answering. I appreciate it.

My daughter had a sleep deprived EEG and didnt really fall asleep either but they got results that confirmed Epilepsy. Good luck :)

Thank you LisaBee. I do feel they will see something. If not, the increase in my medication worked. So obviously that was the problem.
Thanks for letting me know about your daughter. Hope she is doing good.
How is she?

She is doing well thank you for asking. Started on Keppra, which did not help, then started Trileptal and wean off the Keppra. Trileptal seems to be doing the trick which I am very grateful for. Hope you are doing well also!

Finally got my EEG results. It showed Left Frontal Lobe seizure activity. Which effects your speech. I was having problems with speech. But I also have problems with motor control on my left side. The doctor said that if its your left frontal lobe then it should be your right side that is effected. When I told him it was my left side he just shrugged his shoulders. Can anyone add any info on this?

It's possible that you may have more than one seizure focus, or that the activity spreads to other parts of the brain that don't work contralaterally.

For example, some of the seizure activity could be happening in the left cerebellum. Unlike with the cerebrum, the left cerebellum controls the left side of the body, and the right cerebellum controls the right side of the body.

The cerebellum is primarily a movement control center, responsible for voluntary muscle movements, fine motor skills, and maintaining balance, posture, and equilibrium. So problems with the left cerebellum could cause motor issues on the left side of your body.

Thank you Nakamova
I did some research last night and figured out what you told me.
The first seizure I had was a Grand Mal. I read that a Grand mal effects many parts of your brain. After the grand mal I ended up with ataxia. They said it was from the dilantin but after switching meds twice I still have ataxia. mostly on the left side.
The problem with speech is a new thing. I had all the symptoms of a stroke. But it ended up coming from my left frontal lobe.
So now I see that it is two seperate things. I am doing so much better with the increase in my Lamictal. I can even read a book now which I hadn't been able to concentrate long enough to read one.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. You confirmed what I read after posting this yesterday.

I'm glad the Lamictal helps!

Back
Top Bottom