[News] Neurologist, author Oliver Sacks dies at age 82

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
Neurologist, author Oliver Sacks dies at age 82

http://news.yahoo.com/neurologist-author-oliver-sacks-dies-age-82-york-134206201.html#

Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who studied the intricacies of the brain and wrote eloquently about them in books such as "Awakenings" and "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat," died on Sunday at the age of 82, his personal assistant said.

The British-born Sacks, who announced in February that he had terminal liver cancer, died at his home in New York City at 1:30 a.m. with his partner, the writer Billy Hayes, and his personal assistant, Kate Edgar, at his side, Edgar told Reuters.

"He definitely wrote to the very end," said Edgar, noting Sacks in his final days never stopped penning a legacy that will be published posthumously and may include "several books."

Using a typewriter or writing in longhand, Sacks authored more than a dozen books, filling them with detailed, years-long case histories of patients who often became his friends. He explained to lay readers how the brain handles everything from autism to savantism, colorblindness to Tourette's syndrome, and how his patients could adapt to their unconventional minds.

A doctor that truly understands his patients is gone. :( R.I.P.

A very interesting and compelling writer. He made the mind fascinating. And I read that as a doctor he was very compassionate and attentive to his patients.

I was so saddened when I heard the news. He was my all time favorite and I loved his books.

I like the fact that he was able to leave this world from the comfort of his home surrounded by the people who cared about him and doing what he loved (writing) until the end.

That is a good way to go.

Rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom