Neurologist Thursday

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I hope it is...

Anyway, so I have to go to my neurologist on Thursday and I really hate going there. I feel like if I bother to get his opinion on me being able to drive he'll just say no, even though I haven't had a seizure in 9 years. o_O Why do I think this? Because he doesn't allow me to go above three feet, though that's not a huge issue with me because I hate heights, for my 'safety'. I really don't like him, I've had him as my neurologist since I was three and he's always rubbed me the wrong way. He makes me feel very defensive every time I go and see him. I remember one time, when I wanted to be a wrestler(haha) I asked him about it and he flat out told me no. I seriously wanted to cry.

Am I just overreacting or do I have a right to really dislike him? :/

If anyone on here is from LI, specifically Suffolk County, do you guys have a neurologist you go to and love them?

what type of seizures do you have?

I'm allowed to drive because I haven't had one what used to be since December but now...well 3 days ago but they only happen when I'm about to fall asleep in the night time. I know when they are to happen, super short (seconds long) I'm fully awake... I'm kinda lucky that sense.

I hope everything works out Thursday!

-jackie

Hi Punkchica --

I really dislike my neurologist too. I've thought about switching to someone else, but it's a little like changing meds: There's no guarantee that the new one won't have lousy side effects too.

Last time I saw my neuro, she wanted me to go on a higher dose of meds. I'm interested in her opinion, but I have my own. When I decided to stay on a lower dose, she got all snippy, and kept saying "when you have a seizure this, when you have a seizure that..." I kept correcting her by saying "IF I have a seizure". I don't mind if she disagrees with me, but she could at least be supportive or neutral rather than negative. (And I've been seizure-free for over a year on my current dose.)

I think if you've been seizure-free for 9 years, you can drive, especially if you feel confident about your abilities. Certainly you're legally allowed to, and you're free to disagree with your neurologist about it. If you've thought it through and are prepared to take responsibility for your decision to drive, then go for it.

Punkchica,

You most certainly do have a right to your opinion of your dr. You do not have to agree with his opinions of your care. I'd say if you've been seizure free for 9 years, and you've taken the necessary steps to drive, go for it. And maybe if you can find a different neurologist, one who deals with adults and not pediatrics anymore, you will feel much better about discussing the matters at hand.

:agree: with Cindy. I have no problem looking for a new neuro if I don't like the one I"m seeing. They do work for me after all.

what type of seizures do you have?

I'm allowed to drive because I haven't had one what used to be since December but now...well 3 days ago but they only happen when I'm about to fall asleep in the night time. I know when they are to happen, super short (seconds long) I'm fully awake... I'm kinda lucky that sense.

I hope everything works out Thursday!

-jackie

Grand Mals. I've only had three and they've all been after I fell asleep. So...Unless I fall asleep at the wheel. :p

Punkchica,

You most certainly do have a right to your opinion of your dr. You do not have to agree with his opinions of your care. I'd say if you've been seizure free for 9 years, and you've taken the necessary steps to drive, go for it. And maybe if you can find a different neurologist, one who deals with adults and not pediatrics anymore, you will feel much better about discussing the matters at hand.

Yeah I told my dad I want to go to someone different. And we decided not to mention about me wanting to get my license because in NY you don't need a doctor's consent.

Hi Punkchica --

I really dislike my neurologist too. I've thought about switching to someone else, but it's a little like changing meds: There's no guarantee that the new one won't have lousy side effects too.

Last time I saw my neuro, she wanted me to go on a higher dose of meds. I'm interested in her opinion, but I have my own. When I decided to stay on a lower dose, she got all snippy, and kept saying "when you have a seizure this, when you have a seizure that..." I kept correcting her by saying "IF I have a seizure". I don't mind if she disagrees with me, but she could at least be supportive or neutral rather than negative. (And I've been seizure-free for over a year on my current dose.)

I think if you've been seizure-free for 9 years, you can drive, especially if you feel confident about your abilities. Certainly you're legally allowed to, and you're free to disagree with your neurologist about it. If you've thought it through and are prepared to take responsibility for your decision to drive, then go for it.

Wow, that's ridiculous. o_O And yeah I really think I'd be good at driving.

my suggestion...find a neuro that you feel comfortable talking with. communication is the key.

Have you

seriously considered getting a second opinion? You DO pay his salary, and he IS NOT all-knowing. He is only human. Perhaps you should consider even getting a THIRD opinion.

And if he gets bent out of shape about you getting other opinions, then he's NOT worth having......

seriously considered getting a second opinion? You DO pay his salary, and he IS NOT all-knowing. He is only human. Perhaps you should consider even getting a THIRD opinion.

And if he gets bent out of shape about you getting other opinions, then he's NOT worth having......

Exactly!

UPDATE!

So I went, and he's gonna wean me off my medicine because nothing's gone wrong. I'm a little worried but at the same time excited. The only thing I don't want is having a seizure. o_O

so while weaning, make sure that you have some very healthy lifestyle changes in place. :)

Make sure that your getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night.
Make sure that you are watching your blood sugar, and eating a healthy diet.
Make sure that you limit your stress...and if you can't, that you are dealing with those sources of stress in a healthy way like walking or light exercise.

Oh! ANd limit caffeine consumption.

Make sure that your getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night.
Make sure that you are watching your blood sugar, and eating a healthy diet.
Make sure that you limit your stress...and if you can't, that you are dealing with those sources of stress in a healthy way like walking or light exercise.

I have to work on the first one, but as for eating healthy I am a vegetarian as it is. I might be taking up karate again, which helped me out with my anger/stress in the past. :)

eating vegetarian is actually not very healthy unless you are fully making sure you are getting all teh vitamins you need.

This includes iron, magnesium, calcium etc. i used to be vegetarian *those evil evil big mac's made me switch sides* and i thought i waas healthy because i was thin, but infact i had severe anemia and wasnt getting enough iron as i stuck to eating rice, pasta and fruit more so than green leaft veggies like spinach and cucumbers.

get your self checked out for those deficincys too

eating vegetarian is actually not very healthy unless you are fully making sure you are getting all teh vitamins you need.

This includes iron, magnesium, calcium etc. i used to be vegetarian *those evil evil big mac's made me switch sides* and i thought i waas healthy because i was thin, but infact i had severe anemia and wasnt getting enough iron as i stuck to eating rice, pasta and fruit more so than green leaft veggies like spinach and cucumbers.

get your self checked out for those deficincys too

Hm I will get checked for all of those deficiencies, but I really don't want to go back to eating meat(even though it's tempting at times :p).

Back
Top Bottom