Neurologist vs Epileptologist?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MamaC

New
Reaction score
We are new to this and we found out our medical center, where we go for the neurologist, also has a full Epilepsy dept with separate doctors. I haven't been offered a choice right now, and we aren't really understanding what the difference is.

Anybody had different results or experiences with one verses the other?

We like the neurologist we have, but are feeling he is not very easy to reach or may not be taking a very expeditious testing approach for our 7mo daughter.

Thanks for any thoughts.

i have both my epileptologists is way better easier to get in contact with and at my appointments spends time getting to know me and then we go into my epilepsy i have been dealing with neurologists for 15yrs with no luck no bedside manner so i prefer the latter but this is your child and if you think you have a good one.

I see an epileptologist instead of a neurologist. An epileptologist is one whose specialty is exclusively Epilepsy, whereas neurologists deal with many central nervous system disorders. I eventually went to see my epileptologist because my seizures were difficult to control. I have refractory E.

We started out with a Neurologist, then when the Neurologist couldn't figure out what to do, she referred Jon to an Epileptologist. As Cint mentioned, the Epileptologists deal strictly with Epilepsy, while Neurologists deal with a variety of Neurological disorders. So, the Epileptologist is usually going to be a bit more on top of things like surgery and the Ketogenic diet. I think they usually take the harder cases.

Since you have an infant with seizures, and already failed Trileptal (I think?) you might want to try to get in with an Epileptologist. I'm not exactly sure how you do that on your own, because in our case, our Neurologist sent us to the Epileptologist. You also want to make sure that any Neurologist or Epileptologist you are seeing specializes in Pediatrics. I also recommend that you see a doctor that is affiliated with a medical university and/or a large children's hospital, as these guys are likely going to be more acquainted with recent research (and may even be involved in research projects).

I was excited when I found a epilepiologist, however all she did was talk was all speaking engarments. She WOULD not listen to me. I went to her for about 8 months I finally went back to a Neru. that I had seen before.

Back
Top Bottom