Neuroscience / Neurology Progression

I feel that Neuroscience / Neurology has

• Progressed more into medicine than surgery areas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Progressed, too reliant on High Technology that are more costly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Do you believe Neuroscience / Neurology
is making any progress at all?

Last edited:
you may post comments in here if you'd like

They are making some progress in figuring out the mechanical (ie. physical or chemical) functioning of the signal transmission system, and ways to manipulate them, but these are just methods to prevent an avalanche on a mountain with too much snow.

What I'd like to see is more research and treatments aimed at preventing the mountain from accumulating too much snow to begin with (metaphorically speaking).

More specifically, I'd like to see more research done on neurofeedback (surprise!). :soap:

I'd like to see more advances in any non-invasive treatments besides medications. They should make these non-invasive treatments mainstream. This way insurance companies will be forced to pay for them.

Sure the medications do work (in some), but the side effects out way the benefits.

ex: stomach pains, diarrhea, constipation, kidney stones, gall stones, weight gain, ulcers, etc.

You forgot liver damage. :(

I would like to see the Drs help patients with various diets and research homeopathy,herbs.
The meds the DRS perscribe now do damage to our bodies. For example our liver our thyroid our kidneys. Its time alternative medicine was made available .

Riva

Research IS happening in the field of music\auditory response as it pertains to epilepsy and other neurological conditions...but just like Bernard I want MORE!!!!!!!
Neurofeedback research(which is VERY interesting and I've been reading all about that lately too!), music, homeopathic options, and all the other ALTERNATIVES to invasive surgery get my vote for big funding...but I'm sure what is happening is 'big money' is shooting for that one that will be a 'knock it out of the park' cure and not just a treatment. In the interim (which could be lifetimes) many good people suffer needlessly).
I'm on board for a rant! Where do we picket?
:pfft:JK...I've actually gotten a real good feeling lately as I come across people such as you guys who have some GREAT info, are willing to share it, and are getting something DONE AND NOTICED.......Great job!
:clap:

vetlor389

I think they miss the haystack altogether. If one person is having partial seizures due to an unrecognized food allergy, another having seizures due to an unrecognized cardiac problem, they may both be prescribed the same drug for "epilepsy". The drug may even help suppress seizures initially, but will may do nothing that can lead to wellness, and may even make the problem worse. It is really up to the person with seizures to learn and look for the cause and the appropriate treatment.

I would like Dr's to recommend other types of remedies other than medication. Such as homeopathy or different diets. I have seen over 5 different neurologists and none of them ever even mentioned those options.

Sam

I would Drs to redcommend homeopathy, eeg nuerofeedback.

Anything that would make all our lives easier and more comfortable and livable.

Riva

vetlor389

I think they miss the haystack altogether. If one person is having partial seizures due to an unrecognized food allergy, another having seizures due to an unrecognized cardiac problem, they may both be prescribed the same drug for "epilepsy". The drug may even help suppress seizures initially, but will may do nothing that can lead to wellness, and may even make the problem worse. It is really up to the person with seizures to learn and look for the cause and the appropriate treatment.

So how do we turn this around?
I am going to ask Rebecca's neuro this exact question on our next visit.

The thing my neurologist said one time made me so mad...he's like, "this is more an art than a science."

I didn't have a good comeback at the time, but I should have said: "THEN WHY AM I PAYING YOU, A SCIENTIST, ALL THIS $$$$ WHEN I COULD FIND A HIPPIE ARTIST SOMEWHERE TO HEAL ME FOR FREE WITH TIE-DYE, FREE LOVE, AND POT?!?!?!??!"
:razz2:

I am just now learning after 26 years of E that there are a world of alternatives out there, though as some of you have said it still does not attack the source of the problem.

It is my conservative nature to stick with what has kept me functional for all this time. Far from perfect, but usually functional. It is my more recent focus/concentration issues that eventually led me here looking for answers.

Do any of you think their will be a cure for it? I don't think their will be.

I believe for some there is, Hawke. Can you call it a "cure" or just normal function?
I would say Rebecca's brain has been functioning better since doing neurofeedback. Less seizures by far, and better understanding in her studies at school.

I'm glad someone believes there is. I don't believe there is or will be a cure. At least man won't ever know what it is.

Did you ever think there was a cure for Autism? I didn't... but now there are many that are healing their children. Gives me great hope for many neuro degenerative disorders.

However Hawke, I do tend to view it differently than some. I don't view it as an illness. I view it as a symptom many times. It is caused by something else. Finding what is causing it is the puzzle, but some do turn over stone after stone in the hope that they will find the cause.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom