New and a bit overwhelmed - JAE

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elljen

Reaction score
Hello. My 12-year-old son was diagnosed a few days ago with Juvenile Absence Epilepsy. He'd had a few (maybe 5-6) "zoning out" episodes over the past few months. Maybe more, but that's all we saw. When a teacher observed one in the middle of him reading out loud and notified us, that lit a fire under me to have him tested. I researched what it might be and found CAE. Ugh. Then I realized that at his age, it was more likey JAE. Extra ugh!!!! The eeg showed me to be correct. He had a classic response to the hyperventilation portion of the test.

So here I am. I'm worried about what it will do to his life. He's supposed to go to sleepaway summer camp for 4 weeks starting less than two months from now. He has gone for two summers already and loves it more than I can possibly describe. It's an outstanding camp, and we've spoken with them about this. We'll talk more about safety procedures as the date gets closer. But he'll have barely been on his meds (Zarontin) for only two months as of then, and who knows if they'll be working well or what the side effects will be. We don't have time to play with meds between now and then. Regardless, the neuro cleared him to go.

My other big concern, although we're trying to downplay it, is skiing. He's about the best skiier I've ever seen in a kid his age. It's his life. His love. His passion. His reason for being. This is a boy who studies trail maps. Watches every youtube video on skiing. He's planned for a lifetime of skiing and knows all the places he wants to go. Beginner hills. Please. Intermediate hills - only to ski with me, lol. Black diamonds? Double black diamonds? Moguls? Glades? Steeps? He can ski it all and thrives on it.

The neuro has said he can ski "when" his seizures are under control. Oh, yes, there's the part of me that wonders if. My husband says no matter what, he's taking him skiing or the boy will wither. But he can't just ski... he has to ski amazing, fabulous, exciting places! We took our first trip out to Colorado this winter, and he skied one of the toughest mountains like it was nothing. I've never, ever, not once seen him so happy in his life.

So that's my rant. I have more fears than I've stated. I worry about the development of tonic-clonics as JAE is associated with them. I worry if he'll be able to drive. I worry about college (he's a driven student with huge dreams). I worry about a lot.

I don't express it to him. I try to sound confident. I try to not be overprotective. I'm there for him. But this is hard.

Last edited:
Hi Elljen,

Welcome to CWE! Just like your son I started having absence seizures at 10 yrs. old (54 now). My parents didn't want me to do a darn thing with my friends and it was the worst thing they could have done because it upset me and made me feel like I didn't fit in with the rest of my friends.
As I got older I got out there and did things with my friends and my neuro told me I could do anything but drive which is a law in the state I live in.
Make sure your son doesn't eat a lot of starch and carbs and keep him away from anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) because it has been proven that nutra sweet can cause more electrical activity in the brain and trigger seizures.
I took zarontin when I was a kid and it made me tired. You may want to put your son on the ketogenic diet which is a diet that helps build up ketones in the body and they in turn reduce seizures.
I got the best help from seeing an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy. I was asked to keep track of my seizures on a calendar and write down what time the seizure happened and the type of seizure I had, after I did this the Dr. was able to see a pattern in my seizures and how I have them at certain times of the day and certain days of each month.
Try giving your son some vitamin B12 once a day this helps calm down the nerves and it has reduced my seizures a lot. Also take note and watch the weather sometime I have seizures right before a low pressure in the weather, The low pressure makes the air heavier which in turn effects some peoples hormones and when the hormones are changing that can sometimes trigger seizures for some people. I wish you and your son the best of luck May God Bless the both of You!

Sue

Hi Elljen, welcome to CWE!

One of the "fun" things about epilepsy is that everyone is different, and it can be difficult to predict how any one individual's symptoms and treatment will play out. That's especially the case when the diagnosis is new; you and your son don't yet have a sense of what to watch out for, what's "normal," what's a symptomatic fluke vs. what's a trend. So in this stage, it can be hard to evaluate how much independence is okay. That said, if your son's neuro cleared him for the camp, that's a good sign.

It's way too soon to start worrying about your son's skiing future. That said, you're his mom so you're going to worry anyway. Worth noting: Of all epileptic patients, 70% are expected to enter remission (five or more years of remaining seizure-free) with medication. Hang in there.

Thanks to both of you for your responses and advice. The tricky part now is we have less than two months before summer (sleepaway) camp starts for him. So it's not a lot of time to figure this out and get it under control. But to keep him home would be crushing for him. I just want to do what's best for him.

Elljen,
My seizures started at age 12 and I'm 56 now but I have complex partial to generalized with no warning. My parents told me I couldn't do things due to their fears but also they made sense like swimming was a big one so I did give that up. I also drove and stopped a number of years ago when I found my seizures were getting worse. I think your son's situation will depend on how you handle it, the medication he is put on, how or if his seizure disorder progresses. He is lucky to have you reaching out to others!! Good luck to you and your family. Jeanne

Be as normal as possible. Do NOT let today's joy slip by because you are emotionally freaked out (of course you are). Go do silly stuff with your kid. The rest will work it's self out somehow.

Back
Top Bottom