NEW Epilepsy Classifications - No More Simple or Complex Partials and then some ....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yea, I had a feeling my original topic thread would end up getting merged into another one. So because of that, along with the names of the categories to choose from i would like to start a topic thread, I must ask, is there some type of section like "Which Category to Post A Topic Thread In for Dummies" in any portion of the CWE ? :ponder:

I wouldn't worry too much, Bruce.
What I say when posting, is make the best choice you can, and if a mod thinks it needs to be moved we will do so. Using the definitions of the rooms that are posted.

I always have trouble finding a particular thread to add to even when I know it exists. There is no hard fast rule here about beginning a new thread. We make a good attempt to keep the subjects combined so that the topics have more substance, and we are not repeating ourselves. I think the concept works rather well.

Hope that helps

So after all these "new, improved, best you ever ate, makes your cheeks glow and your hair grow" words, what am I? What is a simple partial or complex partial or TLE, now? Gosh, guys, I've been doing the BIG E over 40 years! I'm too old to change! :agree::loco:

I have a few terms for epilepsy myself, but I can't post them. I don't care what they call the various types of seizure disorders as long as they figure out how to also CURE them.

Loopy Lou said:
Why "against" Epilepsy?

That could be easily misunderstood (If you're me that is)

They seem th leave the negative semantics of the disorder there, don't they? It's almost as if people with epilepsy are still being marginalized.

I agree: more money should be spent on the research & new treatment for seizures rather than the re-naming of the seizures. It IS good, though, that they are now recognizing other abnormal neurologic activity as seizure activity.

Against is a really negative word with negative energy, Mother Theresa was once asked to join a march against a war her response I'll join you when you walk for peace. Its all how you say it.

Quick question can I still use Tonic Clonic and Simple and Complex partial when trying to explain to people that we no longer use the terms Grand and Petite Mal? I still hear MD's using those terms.

Last edited:
While I'm no authority, I don't see why not. Some people refuse to let go of the old names or labels b/c they're familiar with them & that's most likely what drs. learned for their names - with the exception of neurologists.

Is the International League Against Epilepsy a reliable well recognized source?

Curious because I am reading some information there I have not seen and cannot find verification of elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the International League Against Epilepsy a reliable well recognized source?

They appear to be legit. They publish Epilepsia which is a respected peer-reviewed medical journal.

Superman comes to mind.. or is that the Justice League.. either way, I'll stick to just having seizures without the tongue twisting, mind burning nonsense written in post one.
:)

Back
Top Bottom