[News] New epilepsy drug on the way

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Perampanel is a new treatment for partial seizures. The results of the Phase III clinical trials in Japan were very positive. An application for a marketing permit in Japan was just submitted by the manufacturer. There was no mention of plans yet for clinical trials or applications for marketing in the U.S. Here's hopes that it will be soon.

About Perampanel
Perampanel is a highly selective, non-competitive AMPA (alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid)-type glutamate receptor antagonist. It has exhibited anti-seizure effects in Phase II and III studies.

Nerve signals stimulated by the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate within the brain are transmitted by AMPA receptors which are extensively present in excitatory neurons. These receptors are believed to play a significant role in all neurological illnesses characterized by excess neuroexcitatory signaling, such as epilepsy.

If approved by EMA or FDA, perampanel will be the first product in this class.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/230115.php

Other epilepsy drugs on the way:

Potiga (ezogabine) Tablets Approved For Seizure In Adults As Add-On Medication

Info on Trobalt

New Drug Could Further Help People With Epilepsy

New First-in-class Treatment, Trobalt(R), Launched Today As An Adjunct Therapy In Patients With Difficult To Control Epilepsy

Scottish Medicines Consortium Accepts Trobalt(R) (Retigabine) For Restricted Use As An Adjunctive Treatment Of Refractory Partial Onset Epilepsy

NICE Preliminary Guidance Recommends Trobalt® (retigabine) For Adjunctive Treatment Of Partial Onset Epilepsy

Last edited:
I am going to be starting a clinical trial with Paramanel soon. It has not been used for all seizure types and this clinical trial is for patients with partial generalized seizures and my dr thought that with the other meds I am taking I would be a good candidate. I've researched it and feel pretty comfortable doing the clinical trial and am just waiting on the date when they will start the trial. :)

I have a seizure type reaction from msg/sweeteners. Does the new medication potiga(ezogabine) seem like it would help me control these reactions?

In preclinical tests, ezogabine was found to be effective in nearly all the animal models of seizures and epilepsy used. So ther's a good chance that it will work against symptoms triggered by excitotoxins like aspartame and msg.

THANK YOU Nakamova . I WILL MENTION IT TO MY NEUROLOGIST. MAYBE I CAN REPLACE ONE OF MY OTHER MEDICINES IN MY AED KEY WITH EZOGABINE. I'M NOT SURE IF I READ FROM ONE OF THE REPORTS THAT IF YOU TAKE DILANTIN YOU HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR INPUT OF EXZOGABINE TO A HIGHER INTAKE. DOES THIS MEAN THAT DILANTIN CAUSES THIS PROBLEM TO HAPPEN?

Yes, Dilantin can slightly decrease the level of Ezogabine in the blood. (It's not unusual for AEDs to interact in these ways). This means that if you are on both meds, you might need to take a higher dosage of Ezogabine than if you were on the Ezogabine alone. This also means that if you are on both meds and decide to reduce your Dilantin dosage, then you would also need to reduce your Ezogabine dosage.

BTW, if you are sensitive to aspartame and MSG, you might consider taking ataurine supplement (ask your doctor first). Taurine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter -- it keeps the brain from getting overexcited -- that can get depleted by MSG or aspartame (which gets converted into glutamate). So some folks will take a Taurine supplement just before o after they eat something that they suspect may contain those food additives.

Back
Top Bottom