New here from Arizona

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rebellovw

New
Reaction score
Hello,

My son just had a seizure this morning banged his head pretty good. Last time he had a seizure was April 1st. He started having seizures just about 4 years ago (he is 24 years old) when we moved him to Flagstaff. He only had a seizure prior when he was in infant and that was due to high fever.

He has been living with us for that last couple of years and is doing very well - almost seizure free for close to a year - perhaps 4 seizures in the 2-3 year period. He is on a generic form of Keppra.

He will be moving out next week to live by himself in Tucson while he attends Univ of Arizona where he will be a Jr studying Computer Science.

I'm a bit worried about him living alone and being by himself in a new city but I think college will keep him busy. I think being on his own will allow him to grow and fend for himself vs living with us. I'm worried but I'm sure this is the right decision.

Thanks for listening.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to CWE! I think it's great that your son will be going off to college, it's normal for a parent to worry about their kids but I found being independent helped me to get a good job and not have to expect others to help me. I learned to stand on my own two feet and I didn't let my seizures get in the way. I personally think you are making the right decision letting your son go off to college on his own. I wish you and your son the best of luck and May God Bless You and Your Family!

Sue

Hi, rebellovw;

I live several hours away from my parents and on my own, and what I think helps them feel more at ease is our arrangement that we talk on the phone morning and evening as a "check-in". This is something you could arrange with your son as well.

Also, two of my friends who live within 5 min. of me are very reliable and willing to help with anything that might come up. As your son makes friends close by in his new city I'm sure he will also find those extra-special ones who go the extra mile when needed, and this too will help put your mind at ease :)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to CWE! I think it's great that your son will be going off to college, it's normal for a parent to worry about their kids but I found being independent helped me to get a good job and not have to expect others to help me. I learned to stand on my own two feet and I didn't let my seizures get in the way. I personally think you are making the right decision letting your son go off to college on his own. I wish you and your son the best of luck and May God Bless You and Your Family!

Sue

Thanks very much Sue means allot.

Hi, rebellovw;

I live several hours away from my parents and on my own, and what I think helps them feel more at ease is our arrangement that we talk on the phone morning and evening as a "check-in". This is something you could arrange with your son as well.

Also, two of my friends who live within 5 min. of me are very reliable and willing to help with anything that might come up. As your son makes friends close by in his new city I'm sure he will also find those extra-special ones who go the extra mile when needed, and this too will help put your mind at ease :)

Thanks very much. I'm hoping that being on his own will allow him to be more social and really enjoy what living by yourself brings.

Hi and welcome. I live down here is Phoenix myself.

Thanks Topcat.

Hi rebellovw, just wanted to add my welcome to the others! Your son will no doubt have friends or folks to offer support as needed, but if he's feeling at all isolated, you could encourage him to join CWE and/or look into local support groups.

Because of his recent seizure, it might be a good idea for your son to review his medication/dose with his neuro. It also might make sense for him to get a referral to a neuro who can see him in Tuscon (if he hasn't dones so already).

best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom