New here - please help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radam

New
Reaction score
Hi. My mum has grand mal seizures that only happen when she is asleep. She has only had 6 in her life but 4 have been in the last 13 months. She has just been put on lamotrigine (lamictal) and she has started off at 50mg per day. She took her first one yesterday afternoon and was a bit dizzy in the afternoon and evening and also very tired quite early. Last night she kept waking every hour and now has a headache. She doesn't cope well with headaches and no sleep (she also suffers from depression) so if these effects continue she will probably stop the meds. Does anyone know if these side effects will clear up or have any tips on how they can be reduced? I am so worried about her that I cant sleep myself. Please help me

Hi radam, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I vaguely remember when my wife was having frequent nocturnal seizures. It was tough to sit idly by and not be able to do anything to help.

It usually takes a few weeks for someone to get used to a new AED. My wife never took Lamotrigine/Lamictal so I don't remember the common side effects off the top of my head.

Check out this discussion on ideas for helping one sleep. Perhaps it will help.

Thank you for that. I am finding it really hard to cope with it all - especially with the depression as well. I cant stop crying and I am so scared of her having another one and yet Im scared that the side effects of the drugs are going to get worse. I feel like Im going crazy with worry.

Extreme anxiety about future seizures is a cross that everyone caring for someone with uncontrolled seizures has to bear. It can be tough. I had to drill the Serenity Prayer into my psyche to reach an epiphany that it was OK for me to relax and just deal with a seizure when it happens and not every second that it is not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom