New Here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Daroswene

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I had encephalitis when I was 6 months old, which left me with epilepsy until I was 5. He doctor thought I would be okay, took me of my meds, and I was until I was 16. I had a few seizures at school before my parents believed it, even though I had told them I didn't feel right. So we went to another doctor, got new meds, and kept trying until we found something I wasn't allergic to. In 2000, my neurologist told me about a vagus nerve stimulator. It was new, but it seemed to work best for complex partial seizures. So that September, I had one implanted and it did drop my seizures significantly (from 3-4/day to 3-10/month). I was still taking a lot of meds.

That neurologist moved away and in June 2017, the new neurologist increased the settings on the VNS and added Lorazepam for breakthrough seizures. I've had fewer since, 7 since 6/26 and a couple were right after finding out by family members' passings. We are looking at replacing the model the next time we need to change the battery; I am sill using the M100. I turns out I was right when I thought my heart rate increased during my seizures.

In addition to epilepsy, I have SLE and blood clots.
I am married to a very supportive man, who started taking me to work with him when he saw my seizures were increasingly accompanied by falls. He's a night auditor at a hotel, so there's a lot of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon each night unless people act really crazy [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Daroswene, welcome to CWE!

Make yourself at home. :)

Hi Daroswene!

I have a VNS too and it has helped me a lot, I'm still taking a good bit of meds along with it too.

Before I got the VNS I was having at least 20 seizures a month, sometimes several in one day, and my neuro had tried a ton of different meds but none seemed to really help. Since I've gotten the VSN I'm having about 5 seizures a month and they aren't nearly as bad as they were before.

Stress is a huge seizure trigger for me. When one of my pets died a few years ago I had about 4 right in a row plus some through out the month, same when my grandma died and when I found out my husband had cancer. Holidays are a stressful time for me too and I usually have more around those.

Nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom