New Here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there.

I had my first tonic clonic seizure in July of 2008 at the age of 18 (no cause was found that I can remember), and had a second one nearly 10 years later in January of 2018 (followed a third one in the emergency room). I was put on 500mgs of generic keppra 2x/day.

I attributed the seizure to a magnesium deficiency (my symptoms included heart arrhythmia, and myoclonic jerks) and began supplementing magnesium. This seemed to quell the symptoms and I slowly stopped taking the levetiracetam (stupid, I know). Then on 10/11/18, i had a fourth tonic clonic seizure that, again landed me in the emergency room. Again, I was prescribed 500mg of generic keppra, while I wait to see a neurologist.

All my google searches for the possible causes of my seizures bring me back here, so I thought I'd join and interact with people who can provide insight into their experiences with seizures and/or epilepsy.

Last edited:
Hi PastelTrees,

Welcome to CWE! Many things can trigger seizures for a person the 2 main things are lack of sleep and stress. I also found that Keppra triggered seizures for me but everyone is different.
The main things that can cause epilepsy are the following:
Trauma, a bad blow to the head, drug and alcohol abuse, heart problems, lack of oxygen at birth, genetics and sometimes but very rarely is living in higher altitudes.
I found using cbd oil (med. marijuana) the best thing that ever helped my seizures. Also cutting back on carbs and starch foods.
Everyone here is great and I've learned a lot even though I've had seizures for 46 yrs.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey PastelTrees, welcome!

Since "epilepsy" is a catch-all term for having had more than one seizure, there can be a variety of causes. In the majority of cases the primary cause remains unknown or indeterminate.

While you may or may not figure out why you had a lower seizure threshold in the first place, you can sometimes identify a secondary trigger that played a role in pushing you over that threshold. Secondary triggers can be things like fatigue or stress (as Sue mentions). A variety of physical, physiological, emotional and or environmental stressors can be factors. Fluctuating hormones can be a trigger ("catamenial epilepsy"). Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can play a role, as well as other dietary factors. So low magnesium could indeed have been a factor in the initial seizure, but probably not the primary one. Since you were experiencing arrhythmia symptoms at one point, did you ever see a cardiologist to rule out any cardiovascular issues?

Did you stop the Keppra because you thought it was no longer necessary, or did side effects also figure into your decision? If it was due to the side effects, you might want to discuss other seizure meds with the neurologist, since there are quite a few out there. And as Sue mentions, some people have found relief with CBD oil and/or with dietary approaches. It is important to prevent future seizures if at all possible -- you don't want your brain to "get used to" seizing.

Best,
Nakamova

I stopped the Keppra because i thought the magnesium deficiency was the primary cause of my seizure. Looking back, my blood magnesium was adequate, but supplementing with liquid magnesium did really seem to quell the heart arrhythmia. This time around my blood magnesium level was over the normal range.

I am unofficially diagnosed with PCOS (a hormonal imbalance that can lead to insulin resistance, an absence of regular periods, and, if left untreated eventually infertility). My doctor knows of all my symptoms (Insulin resistance and irregular periods--heart palpitations and/or arrhythmias were also mentioned among the long list of PCOS-related symptoms) and agrees that its likely PCOS but has yet to run any official tests.

The more I read on this site, the more I'm starting to see the connection between my seizures and PCOS symptoms. I'm gonna have a lot to talk about with both my PCP and neuro during my upcoming appointments.

Hello & welcome to the site. Porkette is right--many things can cause seizures. The simple partials I've had since childhood originate around scar tissue in my brain. They occur more often when I'm under stress/tension, but will often do even when I am just sitting around doing nothing.

Hi there.

I had my first tonic clonic seizure in July of 2008 at the age of 18 (no cause was found that I can remember), and had a second one nearly 10 years later in January of 2018 (followed a third one in the emergency room). I was put on 500mgs of generic keppra 2x/day.

I attributed the seizure to a magnesium deficiency (my symptoms included heart arrhythmia, and myoclonic jerks) and began supplementing magnesium. This seemed to quell the symptoms and I slowly stopped taking the levetiracetam (stupid, I know). Then on 10/11/18, i had a fourth tonic clonic seizure that, again landed me in the emergency room. Again, I was prescribed 500mg of generic keppra, while I wait to see a neurologist.

All my google searches for the possible causes of my seizures bring me back here, so I thought I'd join and interact with people who can provide insight into their experiences with seizures and/or epilepsy.

Pastel: You are correct in saying you are low on magnesium. Since you weren't born with EP, along with your med's, take a magnesium supplement daily. I was born with it, but when I took magnesium my dosage was lowered from 4 @ 100 mg a day to 3 @ 65 mg a day. I am also free of my partials and can think clearly because of the magnesium.

Hi PT, welcome to CWE. I don't know anything about PCOS, but my wife has lived an amazing rollercoaster ride with her hormones and seizures over the last two decades. .

My epilepsy has changed over the years--especially in the past 20. I had 4 tonic clonics when I was 14, which helped them diagnose my epilepsy, none since. It was slightly over 20 years ago that I suddenly began having complex partial seizures. They've prevented me from working & doing many things that I loved.

I don't have much to add in the way of advice, but I will say WELCOME and hope you can get some answers and control of your seizures.

Back
Top Bottom