new here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jefraf

New
Reaction score
Hi: Over the last few months I had two nocturnal seizures, apparently tonic clonic, which my wife observed. I never woke up for either. All my tests were normal but my neurologist put me on keppra and told me not to drive for the next four months. I am 74 and never had a seizure before, so this has all been very new and concerning. I was glad to find this site and read other people's stories as I never knew anyone with epilepsy before. I am hoping the keppra does the trick and, though I haven't been on it long, I don't yet have any side effects. I didn't realize seniors could suddenly develop seizures but I learned it does happen. Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. I may read more than I write but am hoping to learn what I can and contribute what I can. One question I do have: my healthcare providers recommend getting a bracelet that says I have seizures. Just having had two I am reluctant to wear one, and wondering what people here might recommend.

Hi jefraf! It's nice to meet you!

My grandma had what her dr thinks were nocturnal seizures. There were only a few of them. During one she'd banged her head on the night stand and another she'd fallen out of bed. My grandfather said she might have had more but he's not positive. My grandma doesn't remember doing any of it. She'd never had seizures before.

Many peoples test's come back normal, which he's did. This happens a lot.

It can take a little while to find out how a med will work for you, so you probably won't stop having seizures right away.

It's up to you if you want to get a medical bracelet that says you have seizures. Is there a reason that your healthcare providers suggest get one? Would it just be saying you have epilepsy or would other things be added too it too? I have one saying I have epilepsy, allergies to any meds I have and that I can't have an MRI (got too much metal in my body for that).

This site is a great place to learn about epilepsy. I've learned a ton from it. Read as much as you want and feel free to ask questions.

Hi jefraf,

Welcome to CWE! Often nocturnal seizures will happen when a person is sleeping or when they first wake up the one big cause of if
is lack of sleep or sleep disorder like sleep apnea. I was having this type of seizure but I didn't realize I was having seizures until a sleep
study was done on me and my Dr. did an e.e.g. and e.k.g. on me at the same time and she found out I was having seizures in my sleep
do to sleep apnea. You may want to get a sleep study done. In regards to the bracelet I had one when I was a kid but back then people
didn't know or speak much about epilepsy. If the Keppra doesn't work try taking vimpat that worked great and stopped the nocturnal
seizures for me. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Welcome! Make yourself at home. :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome-I appreciate it. Porkette: I do have sleep apnea but was wearing my mask when both seizures occurred. A tech examined the data on my cpap and ruled out sleep apnea as a cause of the seizures. They also thought it might be rem disorder syndrome but the symptoms don't fit. So, still don't know what caused them. If the keppra doesn't work I will talk with my doctor about vimpat. Thanks again

Hi jefraf,

You may want to ask your Dr. to do a video e.e.g. that's when they will be doing the e.e.g. but you will be on camera
around the clock, this could also show the Dr. if and when you are having seizures in your sleep and if you are they will
be able to help treat them better. The test will also show which area of the brain is triggering the seizures.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello & welcome to the site. I wear a bracelet that says I have epilepsy & lists all the AEDs I'm allergic to because there are a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom