New job, afraid I'll loose it.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I got a great job at the local bike store doing mechanics. In a lot of ways it's perfect for me, so I was EXTREMELY happy.

Problem. The guy that hired me didn't tell me he would be quitting. He had me working tuesday through saturday. It was fine. When he quit, my schedule went entirely out the window. Now I've only got one day off from now until next Thursday. Maybe I can switch with someone. I absolutely must have two days off in a row each week. I don't have any choice. It takes me a whole day just to begin to recover. I've been spending most of sunday in bed. Hopefully when we get our permanent manager it will get better, but I'm not holding my breath. Today I feel terrible. IDK if it was because I didn't get enough rest this weekend or if it's the stress or what.

I am really doing more than I can do working five days a week, but I have no choice. There is no other option. I cannot handle random days off. Even my hours changed. I don't understand why everyone insists on having irregular schedules, even when people are full-time. It doesn't make any sense. I'm afraid I'll loose the job (have to quit).

I feel like it will be absolutely unacceptable for me to tell them I have epilepsy and ask for accommodation. I don't even have a regular doctor right now. The guy making the schedules does not work at my location. I told him my preference, but he changed everything. He's a nice guy, but I have no idea how to have this conversation with him. I get the impression that the organization is NOT flexible.

Hi Matthew,
When I applied for my part time job I told the employer I had epilepsy that way they couldn't come back on me and lay me off if
I had a seizure on the job. I told them I wanted to work 3- 4 days a week because I had retired from working in public school for 35 yrs.
and I didn't want my paycheck to cut my pension. Now they have me working 4-5 days straight and I think a lot of the problem is many
people in my area don't want to work anymore or they want to work from home.

What you should do is get a note from your Dr. stating that you can only work so many days a week that way you will be covered and
I would also tell your employer that you have seizures, they can't lay you off by law because that is discrimination all the way.

I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Hi Mathew.
I agree with Porkette. You need to let the employer know you have epilepsy. Explain your needs, Importantly, emphasize how much you like and appreciate the job. And of course, do your best to show how valuable you are as an employee. You should be fine. If not, you're protected from discriminatory behavior or a hostile environment.
Good luck.
KSQ

i agree with them, if you like it try to keep it. bicycle tech is my favorite job and the reason i have epilepsy, still will take any excuse to work on i bike i can

I emailed the scheduler. I think things will be ok. I found out that shortly before I was hired the staff submitted "availability" forms, so I just told them I was available Tuesday through Saturday. We'll see.

Now I have to deal with two inappropriate and lazy co-workers. It's basically an unending stream of F bombs. It should be better when we get a manager who can keep them busy.

i agree with them, if you like it try to keep it. bicycle tech is my favorite job and the reason i have epilepsy, still will take any excuse to work on i bike i can
What do you mean it's the reason you have epilepsy? I really like it when it's quiet. I like the more experienced guys that act like grown-ups.

part of our job requirement was we has to appear at bike races and events once a week, and it was in small town oklahoma. I had never lived in a part of the world with ticks before and got bit but one during a race. ended up with lyme disease

I so wish I could be open about epilepsy, but it doesn't go well. The more personal things are the better it goes, but it's not a very personal organization. Small, but not personal.

part of our job requirement was we has to appear at bike races and events once a week, and it was in small town oklahoma. I had never lived in a part of the world with ticks before and got bit but one during a race. ended up with lyme disease
Ticks are bad.

Matthew74, I totally know how you feel about not feeling open at work about sharing the info of epilepsy, the seizure guy. If I were to tell others at work I have epilepsy, I know they would share in conversations behind my back; I truly feel it is second nature for most people and not a positive to days at work.

Regardless on how I do feel about myself at work, I do hope things with you at your work go in a positive way for ya.

Back
Top Bottom