New member: lots to learn

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

btrandem

New
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed with complex partial seizures, after having an episode of altered consciousness at work. Initially, they suspected a TIA, but after MRI and echo cardiogram showed perfectly fine brain and heart structures, I had an EEG, which showed a "spike" pattern that strongly hinted at a disposition for epilepsy. Though I've never been aware of having seizures before, the reading I"ve done over the last few weeks makes me understand that I've had plenty of mental "events" over my life that may well have been small seizures or auras.

I'm just beginning treatment. I started with Keppra several weeks ago, and for a while it seemed to be very good for me, though I did feel that I was a bit overmedicated. I would have preferred a smaller dose, although the 750 twice a day appears to be not that huge.

AFter a week or so, though, I began to experience pretty bad itching and temporary rashes, and the doctor had me stop immediately. Withdrawal has been very, very unpleasant, with rather serious depressed mood, ears ringing. I do hope that this goes away and I'm able to find an alternative treatment that is tolerable.

This forum has been very helpful, as I see many of my own issues reflected here, and it makes me feel much less isolated.

Hi btrandem, welcome to CWE!

Since Keppra was a bust, will you be trying a different AED?

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom