Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pick61

New
Reaction score
Hello All:
I am a 46 year old female from Toronto who has had seizures since I was 9 weeks old. As an infant they were predominantly febrile convulsions, but as I got older they became more frequent and intense. As a child I was on phenobarb, managed to get off it for a couple of years, then when my teenage years hit the seizures came back with a vengeance. Since then I have tried numerous combinations of medications, none of which would control the seizures. After much thought (and fear) I finally underwent a left temporal lobectomy on July 17th of this year. To date it has been a wonderful success (touch wood) so I truly hope that this will be the solution for me. It's been a long road to get here, but I feel as if I may have finally done it.
My children (who are almost 17 and 14) have had to take the responsibility for me when I would seize in the house once their dad and I separated. It was a lot to ask of kids who were only 9 and 6 at the time, but they learned when they should just leave me alone and when they should call Grandpa and have him come over to check on things. They also knew of a few friends who were on speed dial just in case, and of course 9-1-1.
I'm very proud of what it has taught my boys, although it's a lesson I would have preferred for them to learn a bit later in life.
If anyone out there could use any further information regarding surgery, please feel free to contact me.
Lorraine

Welcome Lorraine

Thank your for input about your type of surgery. We have several members who have also undergone brain surgey. I do hope yours comes out a complete success!
:)

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Kids can be such blessings. :)

:hello: Lorriane!

Nice to see a Canadian here!
Go Maple Leafs!

:D

Glad you've stopped in!

PS: I need Maple Syrup - think
you can smuggle me some?

:lol:

;)

Just don't let anyone know about
it or they'll all want some!

:D

Welcome Lorraine - I am glad that you joined us. What an inspirational story and quite a journey you have been on.
When my daughter was told that there is a surgery that has helped many, she just closed down and said a definite NO WAY. I would hope that in the future she would keep it as an option, as her brain birthmark would be easy to map I would assume.
It is the last alternative I would suppose.
I agree with Bernard, kids can truly be a godsend, especially in your situation.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi Lorraine

Welcome -- we're glad to meet you.
I'm 63 now - started having seizures in 1990 and was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy.
A tumor was removed with my first surgery in 2006 and HOPEFULLY my seizures were stopped with the second surgery May 18, of this year.

Day after tomorrow - Thursday, Oct. 4 - I have another MRI check-up and see the surgeon again.

Robin, my first answer to the surgery question was a giant, fast NO, NO WAY. I did agree reluctantly to go through all testing, lots of testing, but refused to sign any papers. Many months passed and I listened a lot, I learned a lot. I learned enough to make that giant step and I've learned it was a VERY GOOD STEP .... so good I've made it twice.

I appreciate you sharing that Nancy. I am afraid that she is so close to being an adult (16 in Nov), that she will have to be the one making the decision. Perhaps I should have her tested though, while she is on a decent health insurance, and like you take the time to let it "feel" right. I don't know much about the surgery, but I think she is a good candidate since they know the focus of the seizures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom