Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amzbel

New
Reaction score
Hi, I've just found this site after my partner of 13 years has suffered yet another tonic clonic siezure. He had his first siezure 12 years ago when I was 8 months pregnant with our daughter. His siezures have been averaging 1 or 2 a week since then. He is a tall man and usually hurts himself quite badly.
I can not explain the rush of love that I feel for him during these siezures, it is love so strong because I know how ever much these siezures get him down he always remains positive and hopeful and as soon as he comes round he asks about our daughters and my own safety.
However, at times like now I do feel upset and frustrated, his siezures upset me so much, he is safe in bed now and will sleep for up to 10 hours, when he awakes he will feel groggy, unable to eat due to a bitten tongue, headache from hitting his head on the floor and incredile muscle pain. I hate to see this suffereing and i also worry about the times that i am not with him to ensure his safety, his siezures are so random with only a split second warning, so he has been involved in some very dangerous situations.

A very important mention is our 11 year old daughter, she is the most caring wonderful child that has ever existed. She has saved her daddy's life 7 times now, the 1st time when she was only 3, she rang an ambulance, removed any dangerous objects and timed his siezure. Since then, she has pulled him out of a shower whilst fitting, turned off the gas stove after one of his siezures and always puts him in recovery position.

Well I'm not sure if this is the usual type of intro, but i feel much calmer and less sad even typing this. It makes me realise what a unique and wonderful partner i have, and yes if his siezures could stop we'd all be happier, but he has them and copes well, so I must continue to do the same.

Hi amzbel

Welcome to the forum. It's always sad to read these stories about people suffering with E, but at least from being on these sites you can realise that your partner is not alone - there are plenty of us out there.

Has your partner been to the Doc about this ? Maybe he could do with a change in medication, or even a little tweak in his diet ?

I hope you find as many 'different' solutions to E as I have on this site....and I'm sure you're gonna find a whole lot of friendly people on here.

PS. That's also an amazing daughter you have there.

Hi amzbel, welcome to the forum. :hello:

1-2 seizures a week for 12 years? wow. That's rough.

I'm assuming that he's seen a neurologist and tried multiple AEDs without success over the years? There are some alternative approaches listed in the chart linked in my signature that you can investigate and discuss with his doctor.

Welcome Amzbel-
My daughter also has seizures, and I agree, it is difficult to watch someone you love deal with this. We have reduced her seizures by changing her diet and hormone balance.

I hope there are some suggestions here that he can try to get some relief.

I agree you have an amazing daughter.

Welcome amzbel

Amazing daughter learned her skills from an amazing roll model! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for being THERE!
:clap:

:hello:Amzbel!

Welcome to CWE! And I must state you have
an awesome daughter there ~ A perfect Epilepsy
Advocate!

:tup:

My son too learned at an early age to handle me.
But I'm curious is your husband idiopathic, refractory
or intractable? Is he still with the same Neurologist
as he's always been with or has he ever been moved
up to an Epileptologist? I wonder...

I feel so bad for people who have to go through all
these seizures constantly! But I'm sure your dear
hubby appreciates the both of you! You're
precious!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back