New restrictions on medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
This was posted on Facebook on one of the Australian epilepsy pages I follow.
When reading some of the posts it seems a lot of people were mainly having trouble getting Keppra.
I’ve been going to the same chemist for 3 years, they have my scripts on file and do my medications up in Webster packs for me so I haven’t had any issues with getting my meds.

I collected my next lot of fortnightly Webster packs last night and forgot to ask the girl if ‘dooms day’ as I’m calling it has been affecting them.

UPDATE - 💊 ANTI-EPILEPTIC MEDICINES SUPPLY 💊

We would like to reassure our community that may have concerns about the supply of Anti-Epileptic Drugs (AEDs) being interrupted as people prepare for the impact of coronavirus or COVID-19.

The Government has announced that it now requires community pharmacists to enforce new limits on dispensing and sales of prescription and over-the-counter medicines.

The Pharmacy Guild of Australia and the Pharmaceutical Society, in conjunction with the Department of Health, have now issued new advice to pharmacies. This is also supported by the National Pharmaceutical Services Association, which represents pharmaceutical wholesalers.

The Pharmacy Guild of Australia has directed pharmacists to limit the dispensing of prescriptions to one month’s supply, which should also assist in alleviating stock issues and ensure fairness for patients 👉https://www.guild.org.au/news-events/news/2020/dispensing-limits-will-ensure-fairness-for-patients

“These sensible and timely limits announced by the Government will apply to particular classes of medicines which must remain available for patients in need. It is regrettable that such measures are needed, but these are unprecedented and drastic times. We ask all patients to understand the need for these restrictions and to be respectful towards pharmacy staff,” said National President, George Tambassis.

A statement from Epilepsy Australia announced Medicines Australia and the Therapeutic Goods Administration have both confirmed there is CURRENTLY NO ISSUE with the supply of AEDs in Australia. Pharmaceutical companies, including UCB, who manufacture and distribute AED’s, have also advised they do not see COVID-19 impacting on the supply of their products to customers. See here for UCB’s statement: https://www.ucb.com/stories-media/

In the case of isolated shortages, Epilepsy Australia suggest you speak to your pharmacist about having stock shipped directly to your pharmacy from manufacturers.

They are also putting restrictions on Panadol (pain killer) which you can get at the counter & ventolins

I’m not sure whether this link will work but I’ll try 🤷‍♀️🙄

My neurologist has me on low dose of topamax to help with my migraines but I also use a particular brand of pain killer for when the headaches / migraines are really bad. It’s a brand the neuro suggested, he actually suggested cheaper version but I find the brand name works best.

I always make sure I’m stocked up with a few boxes because I never know when a headache or migraine will hit. The other week I went to the chemist to get my meds and grabbed a big box of my pain killers (double qty of what i normally get).
This will last me ages so I shouldn’t run out for whole

Hi CQ,

Just this past week I went to get an AED refilled for 3 month and I was told that the vimpat was ready. When I got to the store
they only gave me enough for 1 month so I had to have it out with the pharmacy in order for them to fill it for 3 months.
Thank goodness I'm stocked up now and I hope you and everyone else is.
I wish you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Hi CQ,

Just this past week I went to get an AED refilled for 3 month and I was told that the vimpat was ready. When I got to the store
they only gave me enough for 1 month so I had to have it out with the pharmacy in order for them to fill it for 3 months.
Thank goodness I'm stocked up now and I hope you and everyone else is.
I wish you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue
We don’t have the insurance issue like you guys, when we get our scripts is usually print out. Although my old neuro used to do it handwritten (old fashioned).
We aren’t restricted to which chemist we go to but I’ve been using the same pharmacy for the last 3 1/2 years as it’s easier. When I started going there I gave them my scripts to keep on file now they do the Webster packs.

I called into the chemist today and was talking to the pharmacist and he was saying they did have a shortage of Keppra for a little while but it’s ok now. He said they keep aside boxes fir the Webster packs like me.

I know the zonegran isn’t a popular medication so they used to have to order it in so before I started my Webster packs they used to make sure they had a couple of boxes there for me for when I needed it.

This particular pharmacist is really nice, he is the main one I’ve dealt with while going to the chemist so he knows me well lol. He said to me today if they did have any issues with my meds they’d let me know. I said I wasn’t concerned because I was still getting my Webster packs and assumed if there was an issue they’d tell me

I get my meds every month in a nomad tray too (webster pack i guess?), but they're due this week and am wondering how i'm going to get them. Maybe the chemist will drop them off. They can't give out more than a months supply here because they try and discourage stockpiling of medication, it puts a massive strain on the NHS.

I get my meds every month in a nomad tray too (webster pack i guess?), but they're due this week and am wondering how i'm going to get them. Maybe the chemist will drop them off. They can't give out more than a months supply here because they try and discourage stockpiling of medication, it puts a massive strain on the NHS.
I have you ever spoken to your chemist/pharmacy to see if they do delivery?
Last year during the winter season I was getting my Webster packs (yes nomad trays 😊) dropped of to my work usually on a Thursday, because the packs weren’t usually ready on the 2 days I have off.
The pharmacy only opens late night one day a week, every other day is 5.30 so I was pushing to get there in time or it was getting to dark by the time I walked home. Only other option was to go there on the weekend if the weather was nice.
I have an account so I can go to the chemist any time to pay my account.

Back
Top Bottom