New to Forum - Epilepsy & Lyme? Epilepsy & OCD? (long post)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I haven't 'officially' been diagnosed with epilepsy (yet) - I'm still awaiting my 24-hour EEG results - but I'm pretty certain that is what is going on with me (causing a car accident described below). So I thought I'd post my story and then ask questions afterwards about the relationship between epilepsy and some other things going on with me.

I'm a 46 yo female and had been on Klonopin pretty much non-stop for close to 15 years for what doctors were calling 'anxiety' attacks. These 'anxiety attacks' would erupt suddenly, whether I was stressed or not, and would cause me to feel nervous and shaky, or even panicky and fearful. Klonopin worked so well with these 'anxiety' attacks that I remained on this medication pretty consistently for those 15 years, at least until 2005. In fact, Klonopin was the only medication out of all the psychotropics doctors tried that reliably and consistently helped any of my psychiatric symptoms.

I won't get into too many details here, but after being treated like a "doctor-hopping" "drug addict" (presumably seeking benzos), simply for seeing doctors and trying to find some rational explanation for my growing list of symptoms, I decided to cold-turkey the Klonopin on my own. Again, this was 6 years ago, back in 2005. I was so sick, yet all doctors could come up with were "psychosomatic tendencies" or some other offshoot of my untreated depression, anxiety, and OCD. Symptoms included dizzy spells, memory problems, personality changes, joint pain, ongoing GI issues, weight loss, SEVERE ever-worsening insomnia, SEVERE ever-worsening OCD. I thought I finally had my answer late in 2006 when I was finally diagnosed with chronic Lyme, bartonella, and babesia, but some symptoms never budged, in spite of long-term antibiotics for these infections.

The #1 symptom unaffected by antibiotics was (and remains) this non-stop 'tugging' or 'pulling' sensation in my lower jaw and teeth, causing me to clench my teeth 24/7. It feels like there is a magnet in each of my 8 lower front teeth that is constantly trying to 'connect' to a magnet somewhere up above, and the teeth in question are all sawed down, chipped, and/or tend to develop a grey metallic coating (on the backsides and in between) which even the dentist has had trouble removing.

I also experience episodes of extreme head pressure involving the base of my skull and have gone to doctors begging them to run tests because it feels as if my head isn't draining properly much of the time. Back in September of 2010 I did just that, but my primary doctor refused any further testing unless I agreed to relinquish my psychiatric records to her, refused me a referral to a neurologist, and wouldn't even release medical records to me so that I could find another primary (unless I agreed to pay a $25 fee). I was so tired of 'stand-offs' with doctors that I decided to just suffer and never see a doctor again.

I did finally find a neurologist a month later who didn't require any referrals, but when the MRI and MRA both came back normal, I just gave up.

Then in December 2010, everything came to a head. I woke up that morning feeling especially lousy and probably would have never gone anywhere in my car, but I had agreed the night before to give my neighbor and good friend a ride to the store to pick up some carpet. I got in the car that morning, drove maybe 2 miles, and next thing I knew, we were in a storm drain 6 feet away from a telephone pole with police and ambulance personnel looking on. The progression of symptoms was as follows....

1) Funny taste in my mouth, followed by a brief dizzy spell (though I didn't and never seem to lose complete consciousness).
2) Tunnel Vision - my peripheral vision shrunk considerably. I could see the hood of my car, my neighbor peripherally, and not much else.
3) I could hear my neighbor freaking out (though she sounded far away), see her vaguely out of the corner of my eyes, but I could not respond to her, steer, or brake. And I didn't really realize the seriousness of what had just happened until much later. In fact, it was a surprise to me when my neighbor showed me one tire was hanging over the edge of the ditch, as I was under the impression that I could just back the car off the shoulder.
4) I maintained the ability to put the car in park.
5) Memory problems and confusion that lasted for hours.

I had another seizure in front of paramedics, but luckily, no injuries from the accident itself, no other vehicles involved, etc...

My questions...

- What type of seizures do you think I'm having? Absence or partial? I actually thought these were nothing more than dizzy spells, though I'd been expressing concerns to doctors over my ever-worsening memory problems. Some mornings I actually wake up with memory problems. Are these seizures, too?
- Will a 24-hour EEG prove seizures if I didn't have any 'events' during it?
- Could my seizures and OCD be somehow related? I noticed that my OCD increased in severity when I stopped the Klonopin, and has grown in intensity in recent years with what are more than likely seizures. In other words, could some sort of electrical abnormality be CAUSING my OCD? Or even the reverse...could OCD-ing so often be CAUSING my seizures?
- Could these ongoing infections - Lyme, bartonella, and babesia - be triggering these seizures?

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi elizzza811, welcome to CWE!

You've had a tough road to diagnosis; it seems like a lot is going on. It's complicated because a lot of things you mention can cause neurological issues as well as some of your other symptoms, and it's hard to know what came first, what's causal, correlative, co-occurring, and/or coincidental.

Some of the possible scenarios to consider:

-- Long-term use of Klonopin can cause memory problems, cognitive issues and confusion.
-- Lyme disease can cause memory problems, cognitive issues and confusion.
-- Temporal lobe epilepsy can cause memory problems, cognitive issues and confusion.
-- Abrupt Klonopin withdrawal can cause seizures and insomnia.
-- Lyme disease can cause seizures and insomnia.
-- Temporal lobe epilepsy can cause seizures and insomnia.
-- Temporal lobe epilepsy can sometimes cause OCD.
-- Anxiety disorders can cause memory problems, cognitive issues and confusion, insomnia, teeth-clenching and grinding
-- Magnesium deficiency can cause memory problems, cognitive issues and confusion, seizures, insomnia, teeth-clenching and grinding.

The ongoing infections, the past Klonopin use, and the OCD and anxiety disorders may all be playing a role. A seizure disorder can't be ruled out.

During the car-crash episode you had symptoms that can be associated with Complex Partial seizures (semi-impaired consciousness, tunnel vision.) A 24-hour EEG might help diagnose a seizure disorder, but unfortunately Complex Partials and Simple Partials don't always show up on EEGs, depending on where in the brain they originate.

With all this going on, you need to be persistent about seeing a neurologist to get things sorted out. I wish you luck, and hope that you will keep us posted.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi, Elizza,

Ditto what Nakamova said. I'll add make sure that your doctor is running full blood panels. There are lots of metabolic and systemic things that could explain what you are going through. Also, have they done a lumbar puncture (LP) with the opening pressure measured, as well as all the usual lab tests on the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid)? An LP is not fun (in fact awful), but it can rule out things like an infection, or spinal fluid pressure that is too high. The intermittant tunnel vision, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, pressure in your head, etc. makes me a bit suspicious.

In the meantime, find new docs. I went through MANY. Once one neurologist branded me as a nut, my records followed me and all of them started out thinking I was nuts, too, until they got to know me. That is, IF they took the time to get to know me. Then I found the two neurologists I have now. They are remarkable doctors. I was finally diagnosed with temporal lobe seizures, and IIH (Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension). That's fluid pressure in the head that's too high and squeezes your brain and the nerves in your spinal column, and it may be causing my seizures. Now I'm getting the right treatment and I'm starting to feel better. Finally!

Anyway, razzies to the dumb docs who don't have the knowlege or skills to make a correct diagnosis, and then blamed it on the patient to cover up their own inadequacies. (by calling the patient crazy) If they would just say "I don't know," that would be a perfectly acceptable answer. It would be a perfectly respectable answer, since no one is expected to know everything and we accept that. And then they could refer us to a doc who they think could solve the puzzle. That would be the honest and respectful way to handle it.

It sounds like you haven't gotten the respectful treatment from your docs. I'm so sorry for that. To make up for it, keep climbing the doctor food chain until you find someone who has the smarts, drive, and creativity to figure out what's going on. I know it's hard when you don't feel well, but you need to keep going. You have to pull yourself up and help yourself in order to get well.

<<<hugs>>> Hopes that you will feel better soon.

Thank you both for your replies!

To answer your questions...

...no, they have not done a lumbar puncture to check the pressure of my spinal fluid. On Lymenet, they warn against it? But then again, I'm thinking my symptoms sound suspicious enough to risk it? What would the treatment be if my spinal pressure would be too high?

...and I'm reluctant to blame all of this on my Klonopin withdrawal. It's been 6 years now since I stopped the medication, and I would think that any withdrawal would be over by now, wouldn't you?...that's a long time Klonopin-free.

...I'm also reluctant to blame this on anxiety. Insomnia, memory problems, all these things can cause anxiety, but the insomnia comes first...the memory problems come first...not the other way around. Also, the tunnel vision only happened once...during that one seizure...it's not a daily occurrence.

And temporal lobe epilepsy can cause OCD? Wow!

Thanks again though for your help!

I doubt that IIH is your problem - it is very rare. But, some of your symptoms don't totally sound like lyme, either. The tests for Lyme disease are so easy. It's just a series of blood tests. It seems like a doctor could just do them and get them out of the way for you.

Really, this takes a GOOD doc to sort through and figure out what's going on. A really smart doc. Time to start looking....

Thanks! Diagnosing Lyme isn't as easy as we're lead to believe. If you don't believe me, join Lymenet.

The bull's eye rash is rare, and 99% of Lymenet tested negative the first 20 times, even though they were really positive (myself included). Most people on Lymenet didn't test positive until they had their blood tested through IGeneX, a research lab (myself included). BUT once I tested positive through IGeneX and began IV Rocephin, I even tested positive on a Lyme test through Quest Diagnostics, a lousy lab for Lyme testing.

On top of that, most people on Lymenet have 'coinfections' equally as difficult to test for and treat, and most doctors never even consider testing for those. I definitely have Lyme...I tested positive for it 3 times in spite of multiple antibiotic rounds. And I also test positive for bartonella (cat scratch fever) and babesia (similar to malaria). I believe I acquired these infections through a year of flea bites. But I still think I'm dealing with seizures, too.

What did your neuro say? It really does take a doc to sort all this out. Seizures are only one possibility.

Question: What country do you live in? If it's the United States your doctor has to give you a copy of your records, by law.

I have a neurologist evaluating the possibility of seizures (given my car accident). And a "Lyme Literate Medical Doctor" evaluating me for Lyme, since few regular doctors (even neuros) in the US (where I live) believe in chronic Lyme. Lyme is caused by a spirochete that infects the nervous system (just like syphilis). It is difficult to test for and diagnose, impossible to cure, yet neuros in the US refuse to believe it is chronic infection...they believe a few weeks of azith gets rid of it, which is untrue!...but that's another story.

And my family doctor WAS going to release my records...that's not the issue. The issue was she wanted to charge me for them when the reason I was leaving was because she wasn't taking me seriously and refused further testing (before having psych records in her hands).

I know these are absence seizures. I believe I have about 2 atonic seizures a year as well, where the 'power' will just go out of my left leg and I'll almost fall. I actually did hit the ground pretty hard during one of these episodes and took a chunk out of my knee, though the atonic seizures are less frequent and more of a clumsy nuisance.

Elizza, welcome to CWE!

After reading your story, it sounds like you've been through hell and back!
I have temporal lobe epilepsy, in my left part of my brain.

I didnt know it could cause OCD! That kind of makes me think now....

Ive always been an "organized" person.... I like to keep things in their place and when I get stressed, I notice I find myself freaking out if something is not it's right place! When I was younger, I would have times where I would have to touch the light switch like 7 times before I left the room.. things like that. My parents never thought anything of it and just moved on. I dont do those things no longer, but I still find myself at times wanting a certain item in its own place.

Has your OCD become worse over the years? I didnt know til I read your post that temporal lobe epilepsy can cause that!?

Nakamova, thanks for the link. I will check it out because I'm still a little confused. I had no idea there were so many types of seizures.

Kristin, my OCD has grown ASTRONOMICALLY over the years. 'Classic OCD' started when I was about 20, virtually overnight. By 'classic' I mean I did the handwashing routine, cleaning, ordering, arranging, checking. It definitely was OCD back then, and definitely not normal, but today (at 46) my OCD is beyond abnormal...I'm on disability because it's THAT severe.

Back when I was 20, I had to clean certain things in a room in order to 'pronounce' the room clean, though cleaning these things I looked pretty normal and people could watch. And I only OCD handwashed when doing laundry.

Today the number of things to clean to 'pronounce' a room clean has grown to include everything, and today I won't let anybody watch me because I look crazy when I'm cleaning, ordering, arranging...with all the extensive, senseless rituals. My neighbors actually said something to me about my OCD-ing my mulch last summer...they stood at the window watching me and couldn't believe it. It was embarrassing.

If you have OCD though, trust me, you'll know it. Being neat and orderly is one thing...OCD is another. Be careful though...OCD kind of crept up on me, and if you have TLE, you could be at risk. What are your seizures like with TLE??? And why when I asked my neurologist if their was any relationship between these seizures and my worsening OCD, she said no? (not that I believed her...I didn't).

My 20 yr old son(at one time or another) has displayed every symptom you've had including OCD, petite mal seizures, ticks, tinnitus, catatonia, hallucinations, fatigue, gi problems, irregular ekg, paranoia, panic attacks, motor ocular disfunction, floaters, clinched teeth, headaches, photophobia, rage, detachment, tachycardia, pixelated vision, hearing voices, inappropriate laughter, constant spitting, brain fog, head full of water feeling, can't focus or remember, bartonella(purple) stretch marks, parasital blood load from babesia, autistic sensitivity, sleeping all the time, insomnia, etc, etc, etc.

No previous pscyhe problems or drug abuse ever! CDC positive for lyme(2 elisa/5 band wb) brain lesions(like MS) developed after 1 year, 4 spinal taps over 3 years with slightly elevated protein every time, spect scan indicates hypoperfusion in left frontal lobe, left jugular and azygus veins developed 50% stenosis(had angioplasty).

10 trips to ER, 4 different hospitalizations(over 3 months total), dozens of doctors and almost $800k in medical costs. Hospital doctors don't know anything about diagnosing or treating chronic infections. How many people are dying every hour from unknown or resistant bacterial infections?!?
After 3 years, our son appears to be on the backside of this nightmare. You need to find a GREAT LLMD. Brain infections(like brain tumors) are difficult to treat for most LLMDs, much less the average silk suited, neurologist or arrogant, infectious disease doctor. After you are treated by abx for lyme, you will later become serologically negative for lyme thereafter. (they screw themselves out of the blood stream) The CD57, C4a, ECP and other secondary marker tests become essential for treatment. You have to have the right suppliments (especially blood thinners and films busters) to have any hope of abx working. We found ECT treatments helps to heal the subacute damage caused by neurotoxity and cerebral ischemia by shocking the brain blood flow into hyperdrive. Until your seizures are under control, i don't think that's an option for you.
MRI is a structural picture...you need a spect (functional-blood flow) scan.

As Sir William Osler said 100 years ago "To know syphilis is to know medicine"...the same is true for the smarter lyme spirochete today. The way most doctors treat chronic lyme patients borders on the "in vivo" atrocities of the Tuskeegee Experiment of the 1940's.

Last edited:
From my experience, you definitely have lyme and/or its coinfections and I would follow up on that as a cure for the seizures. They will not cure until you have your infections under control....

Back
Top Bottom