New to forum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Liz2102

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here - having seizures a bit more frequently & am really struggling, it's all I can think about. I tell myself to stop thinking about it - but that is still thinking about it! If I wake up in the night I get in a panic & have to get up to go distract myself. I'll tell you a bit about my epilepsy - some of you may have similar cases. I had a giant grand mal seizure in one side of my body when I was 6, the docs had to knock me out with Valium to stop it. I was in hospital for a week whilst they did a load of tests but found nothing, it was recorded as a "mystery brain virus" and that was that for 10 years, out of site out of mind. Epilepsy came to me as a big surprise when I was 16, I had a few grand mal's & had various scans but nothing was found. I was put on lamotrogine for a year & told it might get everything back where it should & sort it out. Well I was clear for 50 weeks, then the focal seizures began. I've had them frequently for 10 years, I'm still taking lamotrogine, I've tried Keppra but it gave me anxiety & panic attacks, making the seizures worse. Zonisimide which made no difference & currently take locosamide, I have done for at least 4 years but I still have them, and have began to have a few bigger ones now where my knees go & I fall to the floor & twitch. News to me - I don't know what's happening, I can get this kind of sense one is going to happen - I can be disorientated afterwards & do strange things, or can behave perfectly for hours then wake up, find myself somewhere doing something - take a deep breath & carry on.
There has always been a theory that the massive seizure I had when I was 7 could have left a tiny scar on my brain somewhere that gives me epilepsy. The idea has been that if it could be located then I could have brain surgery to remove it & hopefully stop the seizures. I'm from the UK & have spent weeks in hospitals over the years having scans without success (it's hard to have a seizure on command!) Scanning equipment is supposedly better in Belgium so i was sent over there for another scan but no luck. The docs in Belgium told me to come & have another go in a few years as technology is always advancing & I could be successful next time.
I try to remain positive & not let it control my life but it sure can be challenging - I've had a focal seizure holding a hairdryer against my skin a couple of times & burnt myself quite badly, many of you will know biting your tongue unaware is severely painful! I don't know anyone else with epilepsy, it would be great to speak with some of you who understand what I'm going through.

Liz2102

welcome to cwe,

My seizures started when I was 2 years old.Your right the best thing is to not think about your seizures. I have several kinds of seizures. I can have tonic-clonic (grandmal)
I have partial seizures also. My complex partial, simple partial can occur at any time.My seizures change all the time
I had brain surgery in 1982 in Montreal,Canada it didn't dod any good I'm refractory.my seizures just gor worse as I got older.

Welcome to CWE Liz!

You're in good company, lots of folks struggling with all kinds of seizures, trying all kinds of treatments. It sounds like you've tried quite a few meds, but there might be a few more out there to try (if you and your neuro are game). You may have ruled this out, but since your seizures returned at 16, hormonal fluctuations could be a factor, and hormone-based treatments could help.

Anyway, I hope you feel free to share and post and vent as needed here. Make yourself at home.

Hi Liz and welcome to CWE! Looking forward to seeing you around the forums :)

Back
Top Bottom