[Research] New to seizing.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mooncalf

New
Reaction score
I had my first Tonic–Clonic, about five years ago. I fell asleep on the floor, and woke up in the hospital.

Since, I've had one every few months, seemingly regardless of whether or not I take phenytoin. I had another one, today, despite recently being increased to 600/day. It still happened, on schedule (well, about 2.5 after the last one).

I now have a pretty good idea of when they are going to happen. The warning signs start an hour or more ahead of time... Exhaustion, headache, random thoughts (and by that, I mean like flipping through a picture book) and adrenaline.

I no longer have insurance, and the medicaid doctors aren't too familiar with what's going on. They just prescribe.

Is there a practice I can use to possibly fend them off?

Hey Mooncalf, welcome to CWE!

I haven't heard of any particular techniques that are reliably successful at fending off a tonic-clonic seizure. You could try some of the things mentioned at the link below, keeping in mind that the success rate is only anecdotal for the author: https://lifeatfullvolume.net/2013/04/11/alternative-ways-of-dealing-with-seizures/

You might have more luck looking at possible triggers, or lifestyle changes that mkight help. See for some tips:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

It's terrible that your neurologist hasn't suggested that you try a different seizure med in the hopes of achieving control. There are many different meds out there. I don't know what your options are without insurance, but if you can, press for an alternative med. 600 mg is a big dose of phenytoin to take without anything to show for it.

Are you looking for a neurologist? A general practitioner isn't going to help you.

You need to be on meds. Epilepsy is degenerative. Without meds, you'll get worse over time.

Back
Top Bottom