New to the forum...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

knickson

New
Reaction score
On 11/26/2018, I had a random seizure while sitting at my desk at work. Fast forward 16 months and I had another around midnight while sleeping on 4/29/2020. Wife called 911 and I ended up in the ER again. Then, another on 5/27 around midnight again. Lots of tests have shown nothing that should be causing this. For about 5 or 6 years, I've been having what my doctor has diagnosed as anxiety attacks where I would quickly develop tunnel vision, almost pass out, then sweat from every pore in my body. I had 7 of these attacks the day of my first seizure. Feeling very alone at the moment.

Hi knickson,

Welcome to CWE! What you are describing sounds like you may be having myoclonic seizures and these seizures happen in a
persons sleep or when they get up in the morning. I had them a few yrs. ago and when I woke up in the morning I would sometimes
feel really tired even though I got plenty of sleep. I saw my neurologist who did a sleep study on me and an e.e.g. and e.k.g all
at the same time and my neuro found out I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning and
that I had sleep apnea which can sometimes lead to seizures. I started taking vimpat and once I did that the myoclonic seizures
stopped. My advice to you is to get a sleep study done along with an e.e.g. all at the same time just like I did.
As crazy as it sounds I started taking apple cider vinegar with mother in it along with vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day
and that really helped reduce the seizures a lot. Try to get your family Dr. to refer you to see an Epileptologist at an Epilepsy
Center and be sure to keep track of all your seizures write down what time they happened with a description of the seizure
by doing this the Dr. may see a pattern in the seizures as to what time of day/night the seizure happens and what days of the
month. Often it can be hormone related that is causing seizures. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You and
Your Family!

Sue

Hey knickson, welcome to CWE! You are not alone. :)

I assume you've had MRIs and EEGs that come up negative -- that's actually not unusual. For a certain number of people with epilepsy there's no particular cause that can be determined, and their EEGs may not register the seizure.

Was your initial seizure a tonic-clonic seizure (where you lose consciousness and convulse)? Have you seen a neurologist and been diagnosed with epilepsy? Are you on any medication at this point (either for epilepsy or for some other condition)? I ask because a kind of seizure called a "partial seizure" can sometimes appear like an anxiety attack. It's possible that on the day of your seizure you were having multiple partial seizures that were leading up to the full seizure.

If you are not on anti-seizure medication right now and are worried about having additional seizures or seizure-like symptoms, it might be helpful to make a note of any factors that might be playing a role. These can be physical, physiological, emotional, and environmental stressors -- things like fatigue or dehydration or dietary issues or a combination of more than one. Don't worry if you can't pinpoint a secondary cause, but if you can it's worth trying to figure how you can change or avoid that trigger in the future.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you for your reply. At this point, I'm 100% convinced the "anxiety attacks" are actually partial seizures. These have been going on for around 6 or 7 years before I ever had an actual seizure. At this point, I'm not on any meds for this and can't get in to my neurologist until July at the earliest. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home so I don't have to drive anywhere.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh it burns

luckily it gets better

Hi knickson, welcome to CWE. You're definitely not alone here.

Howdy, glad you joined, I've been away from the forums myself. "anxiety attacks " sound like you have a Dr as stupid as the one I had. I had been going through a lot of stress and getting little sleep and had what my Dr. called "panic attacks " they must have been seizures
(I got them worst later after a closed head injury. Dipstick Dr.s I'm glad you are seeing a neurologist it does take awhile to get into see them.

Hello & welcome to CWE. I know how you feel. When I was little, I kept complaining of a "weird feeling" in my head. No doctor could diagnose. I suddenly had some tonic clonics, & one of those feelings occurred during an EEG. That is when my neurologist recognized them as simple partials.

Back
Top Bottom