Newbie who's about to undergo surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best to you Tate. You will be in my thoughts.
I do hope that you get to heal someplace exotic, though I doubt you will want to be out and about. I just hope it is peaceful and you take the time to rest. No hula dancing just yet.

I can't wait to hear your good news!

Sorry for the late reply Tate. Seems like the forum ate my reply posted earlier.

Hi Bigman,

Do you mind if i ask how you developed E? have they given you any indication to what was cause?

They used to say head injury 6 months prior.... now they are saying it could be from birth and the head injury may have only been the trigger.

I was around 4 or 5 when I was hit in the head when a metal door fell onto me. At the time
my eye was the only thing that showed visable injuries. A few years later I started getting sick. It wasn't until junior high (12/13 yo) when my typical Complex Partial Seizures started to accure regularly.

And you mentioned the phase 2 surgery.... Are you going through testing now to see if your a candidate for a surgical procedure?
Oh and can i ask what meds you are currently wif and what your dose is ... if thats all ok

Yes I have been through Phase I testing. The tests revealed I'm a good candidate for surgery. According to my Neurologist I suffer from Mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
I was previously on Trileptal (300MG x 2) & Lyrica (75 MG x 2). But since last week I've
stopped taking the Lyrica following my last Neurologist appointment.

They did say that I could have had the one step done where the electrobes would only be placed on for approx 10- 20 mins and then be removed and the section removed in the one step.. My specialits together asked if i would go the 2 step option as my % of sucess would be far greater as one part isnt highly defined... and if it wasnt a sucess i would have to do it anyways.... I like the option of the higher chance of recovery!!! :tup:

It sounds like they don't know exactly where your seizures are coming from. Or how
close the activity is to your motor function areas (sight, hearing, memory, etc.)

I am leaving here sat morning ealry .... oh dam its wed night...... i dont know the time difference is where most of you live i am in nsw Australia... as i am writing this its 8:25 pm wed night halloween hehehe we dont really have it here some kids do it but its not very big here...

Seems like your about 12hours ahead of me, I'm in New York.

I have mesial sclorosis... on the right hand side.... they have a pretty good idea where its comming from just one area of the preminter is not clear..... which is the reason for the electrobes....\

I am left handed and because of that as the problem is all on the right hand side,,,,, they thought would be a big issue, but after alot of testing my vision, language, memory nd other important motor skills are all located on the left side..... it appears i am also ampidextrous and never knew but the nero gave me certain things i had to try to do and with a week my hand writing was pretty ok actually... i was suprised..... but i do alot of things righthanded or footed for that matter and really never took much notice....

was just the girl on the boys soccer team that the oponents never knew which foot i was going to kick with... which was sort of kool... same with most sports i played acutally...

I hope to get the goss on your progress too!!!! I hope it runs quickly and smoothly!!! Take care have fun great health and keep seizure free....

luv to alllllllllllllllll xx
mwaahsssss

I will get back to everyone when I have a fubky new hair doo....lol

Hi To all you amazing people

I just wanted to thank you all once more....

I think sites like these and wonderful people like your self are so special and are so helpful and offer so much support...... So thankyou thankyou thankyou:hi5:

I am not about to leave to go to hospital for the big op.......

10 - 12 hours of driving to look forward to ./.. yay...(not)

I want to wish you all happy happy times ahead and the best of health and remain seizure freeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Take care everyone!!!!!

I will be sure to post back here again when I return proberly not till the 1st or 2nd week of dec

Thankyou
take care

Tate

Prayers and Thoughts abides for
a speedy recovery!

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Tate - I am sending out my prayers that all went well. I hope you know you are being thought about half way around the world.
Please oh please let us know how you are. I know I will be waiting to hear.

Hi Tate,
I'll be sending you positive thoughts and hoping all goes well for you!

Absolutely. I saw Tate's avatar/post in another thread and was thinking about her. Thanks for :bump:ing this thread Robin. Sending good vibrations for Tate...

Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello,

I am finally back home so far the surgery has been a sucsess!!! no seizures yet so thats really really great!!!! It was actually ok to go through I thought it would be so much harder..... It wasnt what you call easy but not as bad as I had put my self in for!! I was acutally doing it fairly easy until i got an infection!!! That changed matters a bit and was pretty scary they were telling me all sorts of things like having to remove a piece of the skull for around 3 months and having to wear a helmet!! that was a bit scary.... thinking I would have a piece of skull missinf for that length of time!!! but that never happened and I am home and very happy!!!!!

Thankyou so much for everyones kindest words, thoughts and for placing me ever so kindly in ypur prayers!!! Having all your thoughts and sharing your stories really helped me and gave me strength!!!!......... Thankyou thankyou thankyou

I have some pictures during my surgery if people are interested in seeing them but I won't get copies of the surgery until I go back for my post surgery check up and that at this stage isnt until 10th Jan....

But I do have other ones that I will try to poost now..... But i always have trouble but will certainly give it a go.....

I best be off.... I hope everyone has had a great past month!!!!!
Take care everyone

If anyone has any questions feel free I am so happy to share with everyone!!!

Take care
Have fun
Smile...

I am sorry someone will have to help me with the photo part.....
When I click on the insert image it asks me to place the url??
I think I am behind the times the images I want to place are in my files on my pc.
Can someone please tell me how to place it in a post!! .... Thankyou would be greatfull.....

Whooo Hooo!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

(((((((( Welcome back Tate )))))))))))

Glad to hear your surgery was a success!

:)

Thankyou....

still have a way to go to see how sucsessful it is for seizure controll...... but at this stage it is all very very positive.....
And thats the most important part!!!!!
:clap: :woot: :clap: :banana: :woot: :clap:

I am finally back home so far the surgery has been a sucsess!!! no seizures yet so thats really really great!!!!

:woot: Tate's back and the surgery was a success!

Has the infection gone away?

I am sorry someone will have to help me with the photo part..... When I click on the insert image it asks me to place the url??

How to post a picture to the forum

You can also try the "manage attachments" button near the bottom of the page when you are composing a post/reply.

I'm so happy for you!! Prayers answered. This is such wonderful news ....... Wow oh wow oh wow

I am so glad to see you back and well.
Feeling positive it one of the most important parts of healing. I am really happy for you.

Really glad to have you back.

Hello and congratulations from another newbee here.
So good to read your surgery was succesful!
A girl on our Dutch forum had a succesful hemisperectomy 9 days ago. It seems the remaining side of her brain has taken over ALL functions!
What a miracle this human brain is...

Dutch mom (to an 8 year old son with Lennox Gastaut syndrome)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the successful surgery. :woot:

We can't hear too many success stories.

I have had two brain surgeries. I found keeping a smile thru the whole thing made it for me. I hope your recovery was a good one! My boss at UCLA had an aneursym and had a seizure. He was embarrassed but he was also happy that I did not make a big deal about it. His aneurysm is fine! I hope you are doing well!
Happy Holidays

I am on I take (6) 750 Keppra, (3) Zonegran and 1 0.5 Klonopin and one other medication. I pray all is well for you and your Holidays are healing ones!!!

Toni

I wanted to share some pictures with you, I hope no one minds that I have placed them on here with out asking if it is ok with every one,,,,,,

Oh they arnt to full on one is of my scar.. & one of my new cone style swallon melon ( starting a new fashion )

Thanx everyone yet again for all your kind words support & well wishes they mean alot & it all really helps to stay upbeat happy & positive!!! thankyou to all

Attachments

• P1010398.JPG
    P1010398.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010396.JPG
    P1010396.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 16
You don't need to ask permission. :)

I wanted to share some pictures with you, I hope no one minds that I have placed them on here with out asking if it is ok with every one,,,,,,

Oh they arnt to full on one is of my scar.. & one of my new cone style swallon melon ( starting a new fashion )

Thanx everyone yet again for all your kind words support & well wishes they mean alot & it all really helps to stay upbeat happy & positive!!! thankyou to all
They did a great job! You look great for what you've gone thru. I use to be a neurodiagnostic tech. and a patient and the job and you look great! Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom