Newly struggling

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stephlr

New
Reaction score
I've had juvenile myoclonic epliepsy since I was 12 years old. It took 4 years to be diagnosed before I was reluctantly started on medication. I have been coping well since by putting it to the back of my mind, almost pretending that it isn;t there/joking about it but recently I've been having panic attacks and it's siddenly dawned on me that this is something that isn't going to fade away and now I'm resenting it every time I take my medication. I don't want to talk to my friends/family about this even though they are all great. I don't want to burden them with the worry. I just need to know that someone has had the same sudden, random crisis that will hopefully just pass.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything and have only had a single seizure to date, but I have struggled with the anxiety and panic attacks of worrying about recurrences for years, and in some ways it affected me far more than the seizure itself.

Panic attacks and anxiety come and go and I had good days and bad, but on the whole you learn to live with it and then with the realization you can live with it, it fades. It won't be with you forever, but you are very far from alone in your experiences.

Your profile says you had a seizure after years free. How long had it been? Is the anxiety a result of the recent seizure after many years free?

JME is usually easily and well controlled as am sure you know so try not to stress too much. You can't do much about the epilepsy but you can do something about the panic attacks etc. And do talk to people, they will want to help and trying not to make them worry adds more pressure to you - they will worry more if you don't talk to them I imagine.

Hello Steph, while I'm not in the same predicament as you, I can certainly relate to the stress of not being able to change certain things/being in control of your body. That in itself, regardless of what it is, is not a comfortable feeling, and you're certainly not alone.

I know you said you don't want to burden family/friends, but I would really suggest talking to at least a friend about it. Don't take this the wrong way, but you would be surprised with how pre-occupied people are with themselves/their own problems, that they end up not worrying so much about you. This goes back to why you definitely shouldn't feel alone..everyone struggles with something (and if they aren't, they should feel extremely blessed). This doesn't mean they still can't be understanding/supportive or that they don't care about you.

Wish you all the best. :)

I don't want to talk to my friends/family about this even though they are all great. I don't want to burden them with the worry.
It can help to talk to someone -- if not a friend or family member, then a therapist or advisor might be a good fit. Getting it off your chest is a good first step to putting the worry behind you.

Back
Top Bottom