[News] News regarding Lamotrigine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
I was reading through my email and had something sent to me regarding Lamotrigine or as some will know it, Lamictal. I've taken the AED many years ago and at that time, my neurologist was warned through another neurologist it was showing to have an issue with memory. The neurologist took him at his word and removed me from the drug immediately and placed me onto something else. When this entire activity took place was well over five years ago.

Whether it is a parent with child taking the medication or patient taking the AED, I hope this type of information will further assist in building questions to ask your doctor and find out further information how this drug affects health and seizure condition.

This afternoon I saw an article regarding the FDA finding side effects from taking this medication. I actually did post the article on my epilepsy blog in it's total entirety so it can be read from anyone who is interested. To see the article, just click on the link at the bottom and it will take you right to the site.

Bernard, if you see this, the the title is not changing when I add a new one and I'm unsure why. When you have a moment, Could you please take a look and the source code? Pretty please? Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
It sounds like you & acpollard2010 have the same friend or there's a new wave of spam being circulated.

That warning is a couple of years old http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/lamictal-may-dangerous-got-email-15912/

I'll have you know I was taking the drug and it started effecting my memory and making me act seriously odd to where I was not myself nor was I drawing pictures correctly. My neurologist asked me to draw a clock and I could not do it. I knew what i wanted to do yet I could not do it.

I cannot just up and stop acting like a normal person one day out of the blue. The medication was doing it. If you don't have a medical degree, please do not tell me the issue. I prefer to stay with the information my doctor provides me and the fact that I have felt the side effects thank you :soap:

Excuse me for sounding annoyed but I prefer to have clarification on issues from medical professionals before moving forward since I have had epilepsy since the age of 18 months. I do not take this issue lightly.

I have heard more on the issue from others so I highly doubt this is a farce matter. Because I research and ask questions, I believe if anyone wants to find the truth to something he or she should do the same thing instead of settling on one resource. As I stated earlier, I took Lamictal years ago and if you look at the date, the article was written today. Um.. that to me means more news was written. Wouldn't that make sense to you? It does to me as a Doctorate student who performs research for school. As I said, if you don't believe it, research the information. That is why I stated in my report patients need to discuss the matter with their doctor.

It is not up to you to label this information as spam without fact. When you have proof that it is false please show me so you can prove all medical personnel, researchers, and doctors wrong who have found this diagnosis. That will make knowledge helpful to everyone as they have not been able to find it.

Last edited:
I do apologize for referring to it as spam. That was not what I was trying to convey.

I was trying to refer to how e-mails (spam or not) come in waves. I mis-spoke & again I apologize. When re-reading that I saw how it implied something I did not mean. I've since edited it out.

As far as how old it is I did not mean to imply that it is any less relevant. I did not know about the more recent study of information.

Suebear,

Thank you for the warning. I just started my Lamictal journey Monday. My doctor did not say anything about this side effect. I will keep my eyes open to any of these symptoms.

Just thought I would chime in and say I have been on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for 3 years now and am feeling fine. For my personal experience it has been the best AED in regards to side effects, in that I has given me very little. I’m happier and am not as tired. In reality all AED’s suck, it’s a matter of finding one that works with the least amount of suck.

Just thought I would chime in and say I have been on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for 3 years now and am feeling fine. For my personal experience it has been the best AED in regards to side effects, in that I has given me very little. I’m happier and am not as tired. In reality all AED’s suck, it’s a matter of finding one that works with the least amount of suck.

Glad that you're doing well. I was on it for well beyond three years and on a high dosage. I think that's what they're looking at in the testing levels but not sure. I'm still doing research on it to obtain more documentation, if possible. What I know on a personal level is I was taking Lamictal at high amount (perhaps 2000 or more a day) During the time the seizures were active so I can understand the reasoning for the high dosage but at the same point I can also understand the concern why there was the wanting to remove me due to the troublesome side effects I was having at the time - memory issues. My neurologist at the time saw that as a serious problem after a test he performed and was not going to put me through that type of issue so the medication was taken away and I got placed onto something else.

I no longer have that doctor due to DBS surgery for Epilepsy but my current neurological doctor as well as my neurological surgeon who setting the DBS both work at a very well known research and development hospital in town. This hospital has a large wing dedicated to Epilepsy medical treatment. With that being said, I hear the latest of news from their newsletter that goes public or from my medical doctor if the matter involves my epileptic condition. I like to keep others aware so they can ask questions to their doctors and know the facts of their health situation. I like to share information I have learned on a personal level so others can use it as a learning tool or as a reference when speaking with their doctor for health questions.

Every person reacts differently to medication. Some persons may not have an issue with it while others might see an issue. That is why side effects are an important note to be aware of when taking medication. I'm sure you've seen side effect papers in every medication box (both over the counter and prescription) those side effect notations are meant to be aware of for good reason. Feel free to keep this for notes or throw it away if you feel there is not a need to save it.

I got support from the epilepsy forum for many months during my time -- I still do -- of need so now I would like to provide the same in return to anyone who is seeking it. =)

Last edited:
Quick thought came to mind as I was watching TV and working on the computer. Odd combination I know. Anyway, when I have questions about my AEDs a person who I always speak with frequently is the pharmacist. Grant it, I have someone particular at Walgreen's Pharmacy however what I can tell you after speaking with him a few times, they do have access to specific books beyond the public information you are given as a consumer.

I was only on Lamotrigne for 4 days and it sent me crazy- fear of people, fear of going out and ill at ease with my self. I was like this for 4-5 months. I started Tegretol and this drug suits me fine. I have heard that it can be the other way around- Problems with Tegretol but fine on Lamotrigne.

Back
Top Bottom