NO seizure for the past 2 years.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

New
Reaction score
The last fit I had was in June 2003 after that seizure where again I had my shoulder dislocated I have not experience any fit again. Would this mean that the 300mg Phenytoin and B3 and folic acids are effective in controlling my epilepsy. Should I continue with the medication or could I stop taking them.
However I do find some form of dizziness whenever I had a night out with friends drinking alcohol which inevitably gave me a hangover and thus lack of sleep.Hence most of the time if that happens I would not go to work or drive my car.
I hope that from writing to your forum I can get more advice on what better medicine and precautions I can take for my epileptic stattus of 12 years

Nick

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum!

There is no way anyone can advise you on treatment over the internet! All I can offer you is opinions and suggestions. You really need to do your own research and discuss options with your doctor(s).

From what I understand, some people do outgrow their seizures after 2+ years of control with AEDs and can successfully reduce and eventually eliminate their meds without consequence.

For others, dropping the medications causes seizures to return and possibly worse than ever before.

Since you appear to have your seizure activity under control, I personally wouldn't change it if you aren't experiencing debilitating side effects.

It sounds like you are on the edge of your seizure threshold when drinking alcohol. If so, I would guess that you really have not outgrown your seizures.

bernard said:
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum!

There is no way anyone can advise you on treatment over the internet! All I can offer you is opinions and suggestions. You really need to do your own research and discuss options with your doctor(s).

From what I understand, some people do outgrow their seizures after 2+ years of control with AEDs and can successfully reduce and eventually eliminate their meds without consequence.

For others, dropping the medications causes seizures to return and possibly worse than ever before.

Since you appear to have your seizure activity under control, I personally wouldn't change it if you aren't experiencing debilitating side effects.

It sounds like you are on the edge of your seizure threshold when drinking alcohol. If so, I would guess that you really have not outgrown your seizures.

I totally agree with Bernard on this one.
Having Epilepsy for 26yrs, it is my experience that:

1) DON'T stop taking your meds without consulting your Doctor first.
You may think that because you haven't had a seizure in quite some time that you are cured but just proves that the meds are working,

2) If you do go off your meds, even if cleared by your Doctor, it is law that you will have your drivers licence suspended and must go 2 yrs seizure free before having it reinstated. If you have a driving mishap while you have a suspended licence and/or a KNOWN seizure condition, your insurance Co. won't cover you and drop you like a hot potato.

3) If Drinking alcohol while on meds, it is a no no but if you do, remember that the effects of drinking are doubled, IE: 1 beer is like 2 and so on.
NO YOUR LIMITATIONS.

Randy (Canada)

If you found something that works for you, why would you want to change it? Congratulations on going two years without a seizure! I've gone 16 months now - 23 months between seizures before that - and it's all been done with vitamins and supplements. I gave up on the drugs after 20+ years of one drug or another because they just didn't work for me. Vitamins and supplements do work for me though and I wouldn't change what I'm doing for anything.

Hi Nick --

Once your brain has learned how to seize, it can be difficult to "unlearn" it, even after two years seizure-free. Since each person has a different, individualized response to seizure triggers, to metabolic/nutritional factors, and to AEDs, you'll need to determine for yourself (with your doctor) the right plan of action. If you've found something that works, it may be best to stick with it, but it's also the case that your system may change over time, and you may find yourself making adjustments later.

Nakamova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom